Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.  (Read 53506 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.
« Reply #216 on: December 14, 2020, 04:08:27 AM »

Hello again guys, it continues to rain here in the U.K. so while stuck in I managed to complete a bit
more of the pipe work. ;)

Here is the finished work from last time, painted:

A little difficult to see but installed in game:

Now to connect the front to the rear of the engine:

Here we see all the parts made awaiting paint:

Closer view of the valve at rear:

There are a couple of holders keeping the long pipe and its assemblies in place that I had to make:

The shape is drawn using a line tool first, cloned and then various tools used to fill in the shape:

The end pieces are the final bit welded into place once attached to the rest of the shape, one face
cloned and mirrored for the other side you cannot see:

The upper part seems to be held under a casting fixed above, possibly in a recess, and the lower what looks
to be a raised shape on the engine block, I had to improvise somewhat because the images do not give a clear
view but I think it close enough:

Complete and awaiting extraction, the dark Grey pipes and clips I assume hold two separate parts of
the long pipe, maybe giving the structure the chance to move slightly to offset any vibration damage
or even allow expansion and contraction of the overall pipe due to temperature changes, could also
just make fixing together such a long set of pipes easier:

And as previous a successful install into IL-2:

Phew, that was a long job with the front section as well, and still the exhaust stack to sort out, I
fear I will be really old before this is finally done. :D

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Shessi

« Reply #217 on: December 14, 2020, 05:22:13 AM »

Pete,
Missed the previous update, now seen it.  Beautiful pipe-workery there fella!

Hmm I've looked over the interwebs for a few pics of that front lower area, not many about to get references for is there?!  But I think you've just about got it spot on.

That front crankcase cast bell housing for the water pump and various gear housing, with it's bolt shoulders and bolts, is just a CAD work of art.....you realise C19's got you and you've gone poly mad..ha ha!

Have a good Christmas and look forward to 2021.

Cheers

Shessi

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #218 on: December 14, 2020, 10:05:32 AM »

you realise C19's got you and you've gone poly mad..ha ha!

AAAARRRGGGGHHHH, the dreaded Lurgy is about, yes you could be right Shessi, I have become a poly-aholic, I am surely doomed. :D

Them there pipes did it me Lord, I was overcome, consumed, I had no control of my impulses, guilty as charged. :o

Glad you like the detail Shessi, indeed the poly count is going up, however, still within the mesh limit, I am careful you know. ;)

Each of the pipe units shown in my last two updates run at around 2700 polygon, I know not how but each section I build comes under that dreaded 3000 limit
but because I can build with the hier so far all is going good, the issue comes with the finished model for those who have restricted downloads available but if it does become a issue there are ways around problems. So far none of you using the current link have indicated any problems although my current build is now well in accesses of that neither have I so onwards and upwards, I will just keep going.

I blame the desert air for all the engine detail, with all those pictures showing the side covers missing from the engine cover it became a imperative I super detail things in that area, the model does have a full, very low poly cover available in the build though so if folks want to delete all my high tech super detailing they can to reduce the load in their game.

Anyway, the festive season beckons, Covid will leave me all home alone, hopefully with a full fridge of tins and a bottle of Malt, have a good holiday Shessi, I send my best wishes to you and all for the coming year.

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #219 on: December 16, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »

Here is a little something for you guys who feel I have a rather bad fetish, a unusually excessive addiction to high polygons, I
have not entirely been consumed by the Dark Side yet.  :angel:

The engine block without all those ad on parts comes in at a miserly 343 polygons. :D

Uses a simplified version of the block with a texture added from the images from the restoration in Belfast
made to fit as best I could, passenger side:

The texture on the driver side is a image taken in gmax of my manufactured detail:

The object has a texture all its own:

And into game:

My test model still retains the fan and drive, that could also be simplified if need be for anyone out there
who really is poly conscious. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #220 on: December 20, 2020, 04:52:58 AM »

Hello guys a slight diversion, or off at a tangent if you prefer, you know I just have to tinker. :D

For some time I have wanted to take a look at other variants of the Amazon truck, besides our
well known truck/crane combination there were articulated vehicles out there. ;)

I just had to at least make a start before moving back to the engine parts.  :P

Some rough doodles of the tanks that replaced the existing ones and the second platform:

Trying to give a little shape to the box using the bevel tool, I tried to repeat at the other end but
it did not quite look the same so I chopped off the shape and cloned it to use at each end:

Welding the ends to the cylinder:

Making the frame for the small platform:

Difficult to see how exactly the fifth wheel is held but this seems close to the shape I see in the images
although there are variations:

The fifth wheel is the chunk of metal covered in some kind of grease that the trailer fits into for towing,
I had to use a photograph from another more modern vehicle to create a shape something like:

Near enough for our use me thinks:

Just needs mapping and painting, oh, and a trailer. 8)

Take care and be safe.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #221 on: December 20, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »

This is a true labour of love.

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #222 on: December 20, 2020, 09:32:07 AM »

..It truly is!!!!! 8)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #223 on: December 20, 2020, 11:45:55 AM »

This is a true labour of love.

..It truly is!!!!! 8)

Glad you guys like what has been done. 8)

To be honest I never really imagined I would still be building this roughly a year after I started, I think it fair to say I got carried away,
the intention was to have built the full recovery set by now and yet here I am still on the original vehicle. :o

It keeps me out of mischief and hopefully you all find it interesting enough to follow the work as I go. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #224 on: December 23, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »

Hello guys, I added a link to the first post for the low poly engine. ;)

development in gmax:

It uses textures to represent a stopped and running version, choose the appropriate texture:

Stopped and running version in game:

from the readme:

This is a low poly model of the current engine in the WIP Thorneycroft/Coles vehicle combination.

it replaces the current mesh 'EngineBlock'in the various folders you already have and incorporates a simplified
version of the fan and blades and new texture for all.

Using this allows you to significantly reduce the polygon count in the folders by allowing you to
remove all the current parts attached to the engine block with the hier, you will have to go
through your folders and remove any parts not necessary in the hier and also remove the meshes.

List of meshes currently attached to the engine block for the update posted in July:

CastingDriverSideA
CastingDriverSideB
CastingPassengerSideA
EngineBlankingPlates
EngineFrontCastings
FanBladesAndPulleys

FanAndPulleysRotate
FanBladesPulleysRotate

Some of the fan parts will be dependant on whether each model is set up moving or stopped.

The engine detail was originally made because many vehicles are seen without the engine covers at each side, especially desert vehicles, for those with the fully enclosed cover you can remove all engine and fan detail, up to you to decide what is relevant to your install and use.

Have fun tinkering. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2021, 04:05:37 AM »

Well guys, that was the strangest Christmas and New Year holiday I ever experienced and so 2021 starts
much the same as last year, locked down to hold the Covid at bay as our Health Service becomes increasingly
overrun by the sickness and ever increasing death toll. ::(

So, as I am not a health professional and I am not in the best of health anyway after a life in engineering all I can
do to help the N.H.S is stay home and try not to make friends with the lurgy and end up in I.C.U. :(

Guess I will just have to keep on tinkering in gmax and so here we go again. ;)

Work has now begun to construct the motor controlling the water pump, at least I think that is what it is. :D

As before I will be recycling some parts from other areas to help move the build along, in this instance
the connecting piece in Grey is much the same shape as the earlier parts of the pump as the mating faces
are roughly the same:

The motor body and various couplings are in Blue:

All the Grey or coloured parts are borrowed from other areas with the mapping moved accordingly on the
template and placed to replicate what I see in the photographs:

Here I am trying to replicate the metal strap that holds the motor in position on its bracket, a Boolean
method is again used to cut out various areas to build the shapes:

Making extra pieces from cloned ones helps to fill in the holes:

The body and strap look a little clunky, maybe I should have made them a bit more rounded but never
mind, on we go, new fixings are combined with a existing screw to finish the shapes:

Again borrowed bolts and screws are used, separated from their previous parts and re-mapped before
putting them in position, the screws on the motor body really should be in a sunken recess but to save
messing around they will just be placed where you see them either side of the strap:

Enough for now, the body is not willing even if the mind is, not much to show from the last post but at
least things continue onward even if slowly. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:51 AM »

... I am afraid that all this is getting so realistic, that the Thorneycroft Amazon future version will work like the real one and will be totally out of control if only using our keyboard or joystick ...!  :D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2021, 06:14:21 AM »

... I am afraid that all this is getting so realistic, that the Thorneycroft Amazon future version will work like the real one and will be totally out of control if only using our keyboard or joystick ...!  :D

Maybe I could convert the Jeep and 50Cal mod to accept my 3d. :D

You could drive the Thorneycroft into position and then man the Coles cab instead of the gun. :o

Just a thought, and no I am not drunk, this being stuck indoors though is I fear having a detrimental effect on my mind. :P

Take care and be safe.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 25 queries.