Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.  (Read 53522 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2020, 11:31:38 AM »

Don't forget to remove the rotor from the distributor on the static models so they can not be used by German parachutists.

Will remember to tell the driver to remove anything he can and stuff it in his gas mask case, but you know those
paras are crafty sods, they will find any way to avoid walking. ;)

Maybe I should just leave the engine out to make sure the buggers do not move the Thorney on to a active runway
and cause mischief for our homecoming pilots. :o

Work continues on the engine as I try and do what I can with the photographs I have, some things are not clear to
see so expect a little artistic license and guesstimates as with no actual drawings or a maintenance manual I will
only get it so so.

I have started on the easy side, not much here but blanked off ports, I assume the engine casing/block can be adapted
for both left and right hand drive with little work involved to meet customer needs, here I am putting in place the lower
spindle for the fan and the castings that hold the working parts:

A little further on, I cannot see exactly how the casting is made but looks to be all a continuous unit that has elements
on the opposite side so I will have to make each side first and decide later how it all fits together, or not as the case
may be:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2020, 04:47:05 PM »

Hello again guys, hope I find you all well. ;)

The engine detailing has continued during our enforced incarceration. :D

The castings that hold the working parts in place are not fully clear in the photographs but I have given it a go
and put the various nuts and bolts in place as best I can:

Mapping is progressing here:

Some alterations and additions to the fan and its components:

Mapping finished of the work so far and awaiting extraction:

Into the game to see how it looks so far:

Other side:

With the rotating version of the fan added:

Take care and be safe.

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2020, 06:30:18 AM »

For those of us that fly USAAF there's a use for this vehicle:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/26850128@N07/27274868185

And this works great for me as I'm in the middle of making a campaign for the 322nd BS 91st BG out of Bassingbourn!

Keep up the great work; we're all looking forward to this.

Bob

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2020, 11:19:55 AM »

Great photograph Bob, just shows the close cooperation there was and still is with the Americans, many varied and interesting possibilities continue to present themselves for me and the mission builders, thank you very much for that image, really appreciated. 8)

The vehicle is more or less complete in the link in the first page already Bob, so can be used now to actually prepare your missions, all I am doing now is further detailing but it is in a usable state just needs refining a little more with lods, dead meshes and a good skin. ;)

I just looked back through the thread and it has taken roughly six months just to get to this stage, even with all the detail already added I still see many months ahead to actually finish things to a state I will be happy with, even then it will most likely still be far from finished and I have not even done anything yet to the other vehicles in the set. :o

Keeps me out of mischief though and gives me something to focus on. :D

Take care and be safe.

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #136 on: April 14, 2020, 03:37:44 PM »

I will personally take this moment to thank you for focusing on this particular endeavor in these trying times. Much appreciated!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2020, 04:14:21 AM »

I will personally take this moment to thank you for focusing on this particular endeavor in these trying times. Much appreciated!

Thank you very much vonofterdingen, really appreciated. 8)

It is nice to get away from what is the usual aircraft hobby for me and take a look at other things, the Thorneycroft is like a multitude of small models in one and provides a welcome insight into the work involved around the airfields of the time and shows there is much more to to winning wars besides the airmen themselves and their planes, it took a whole army of personnel to keep those guys airborne and ultimately get them out when things went wrong, it is also great to have a variety of support vehicles around the airfields we as pilots leave and hopefully return to as it makes things more interesting visually to have the airfield populated with all manner of stuff.

The downside to the build is that because there is so much to it, yes I know I get carried away with detailing, I keep taking time away from it while I decide what to do next, I am also hampered by ill heath that I cannot get around as it stops me doing this as well so what would normally take a matter of weeks for others seems to go on forever with me. :(

Hopefully you are all finding it interesting as I go through each stage and not getting bored with it. :D

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #138 on: April 19, 2020, 04:53:13 AM »

I am getting more and more idle with this, maybe all this quarantine is affecting my artistic impulses. :(

Anyway, at least I made the fan belt finally. :o

It went through numerous trials before I finally found a method I liked, sort of. o_O

I used a line to make a shape that followed the front of the small pulley wheel, went down to the larger one
and around that before coming back up to the start to be closed.  A version of the completed line is cloned
and enlarged before attaching the two shapes to each other one inside the other and filling in the area between
the lines to make a face.

Two shapes were then created with the faces looking the same way and again attached:

The create tool was then employed filling in the gap, this can be problematic as sometimes the face
appears on the opposite side and has to be flipped back the right way, very annoying and I suppose
there is a way to stop it but |I know not how:

Eventually some faces are flipped out leaving left, right and middle all visible externally and a clone made:

The middle face is separated and enlarged before flipping to make the second outer which is welded to your
existing shape to make something resembling the belt, I think:

I coloured things to try and better illustrate the method, the Brown is the final, some faces need to be
deleted from the cloned versions to give you the faces you need and will eventually connect but hopefully
some of the illustrations give you enough information to follow what I did:

To use the create tool it is essential to see what you are joining and unfortunately to do that means flipping
the faces to be joined in the same direction otherwise you cannot see the vertice you want to connect, it is
a fiddly method and usually I end up with all kinds of odd shapes because I join the wrong dots up, however,
following a little trial and error, much swearing and if possible the consumption of strong Lager I end up with
something that is used and does not end in the bin. :D

Here we have a goer:

Eventually after mapping it finds its way into IL-2:

I will eventually finish this guys, I swear. :angel:

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #139 on: April 21, 2020, 05:08:52 AM »

Hello guys, hope you all are well and staying clear of the dreaded lurgy. ;)

Finally finished with the bits and pieces at the front of the engine, at least for now, sure I will find other things I missed. :D

Moving to the right side of the engine block I made the three metal plates that are so prominent visually there, they
are I think blanking covers possibly pressed from aluminium applied to areas of the engine either not used for the UK
version that is right hand drive or for special equipment not fitted in this instance.

Again I tried various ways of construction none of which were any good but eventually settled for a box with the rounded
corners that I then plunged another shape into using Boolean methods to create the lip I needed and pulled the face, in Red,
closer to the front:

That face was detached and another shape resembling a house roof was attached to that to make something
resembling what I saw in photographs:

A little adjusting got me close to what I wanted:

I added a small cylinder to replicate the face to which I attached a bolt that holds things in position, times
two once I had mapped the original, the bolt was from another construction again cloned to make a second:

Complete with rusty bolts all three are in position:

There are more parts this side than I thought so I have my work cut out for me for a bit yet, I'll keep
you posted.

Take care and be safe.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #140 on: April 21, 2020, 07:12:44 AM »

Hello guys, there is now a updated link in the first post for those stoic enough to still be following progress. ;)

Please completely remove your existing folder as there have been numerous changes.

The update contains all detail showed so far in the thread including the engine detailing:

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.  ;D

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #141 on: April 21, 2020, 01:18:04 PM »

Thank you for update Pete, everything seems to be working flavesly, I'm trying to keep up to date and I'm glad that the project is still developing 8).

Best regards,
Piotrek

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #142 on: April 21, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

Many thanks for that magnificent beast of yours Pete, just installed in my vp_modpack and all is fine, 8)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #143 on: April 21, 2020, 02:12:12 PM »

Hello guys, good to know all is okay for both of you, thank you very much for reporting in, really appreciated. 8)

I do try to check it all through before posting but there is always the chance something is missed so it is good to have confirmation
from some of you to show it is going the right way so far. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.