Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.  (Read 53565 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2020, 01:34:36 PM »

Hello again guys, finally the hook has come together, the truck now has the tools of its trade. :D

Construction begins:

The body is not a solid part but two plates and some internals:

Mapping started:

A image from the Belfast restoration to compare, near enough I think:

Into the game to see how it looks:

Making a start on the cable drums:

I have been trying to post some images for days now but no go, I resized these and all okay, WTF. o_O

Must have hit a wrong button in Irfanview somewhere along the line since last I uploaded. :o

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2020, 01:05:21 PM »

Hello again guys, here are the remaining images from the current WIP that I was unable to post earlier in the week.  :)

Mapping done for the cable drums:

And painting:

Into game for a test run:

Small control boxes found on each side of the crane support arms:

Painted up and into game:

I have borrowed a couple of driver figures from a SAS~Epervier vehicle pack, by wingflyr I think, and have
slightly modified them to fit the Thorneycroft and Coles, hope those guys do not object:

Tonight is to be used to fit these in the models in game so hopefully another WIP upload will be available
over the weekend sometime so you guys can see the changes in your own install. ;)

Take care, be safe.

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »

This is incredible, Pete.

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2020, 02:54:35 PM »

amazing work, lots of details and small parts :o, Bravo Pete! 8)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2020, 08:19:30 AM »

This is incredible, Pete.

amazing work, lots of details and small parts :o, Bravo Pete! 8)

Thank you both for the kind words, really appreciated. 8)

There is now a updated link in the first post for you to download and try, please report back
any issues you find. ;)

As before please remove your existing folder and replace with the latest as there have been numerous
changes, far too many to list.

As indicated last night I added some figures from a existing pack suitably modified to fit.

I made various to occupy different crew positions and you will have to alter them for your own needs:

The previous test damage model has been replaced with this, however, I still need to do the 3d and texture
work to make it a proper damage model so this is a placeholder:

I made some alterations to the driver texture to make it more like something a engineer might wear, this
involved using the clone tool to remove the existing straps of the soldiers uniform and changing the colour:

Hopefully it now looks more like the crew have what we know in the U.K. as 'boiler suits', a coverall
usually worn by fitters and such in the engineering and building trades of the day:

The above alterations are incorporated into the update I added today. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Plowshare

• Modder
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »

You know, I keep up with this thread to drool over you ability to make all these 3D objects then knit them together into a model; you make it look effortless.

A thought I keep coming to is: With 3D printing getting better all the time I bet you could make a plastic model of this to put on your mantel and show your friends. What a coup that would be. Shoot, anyone can buy and build a store-bought kit but this that you're doing is akin to what, back in my model railroader days, would be called scratch building.

Keep up the great work.

Bob

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2020, 02:15:03 PM »

Hello Pete, Thank you for all the hard work you have done here, Thorneycroft Coles works fine and looks better and better with every update. 8)

Best regards,
Piotrek

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2020, 02:57:36 AM »

You know, I keep up with this thread to drool over you ability to make all these 3D objects then knit them together into a model; you make it look effortless.

Thank you for the kind words Bob, really appreciated, making this has been a long hard slog, you should see some of the mess I do not post and if you look closer at the model you have there is much that needs improving.
I tinker with 3d and eventually get close to what I think it should look like, I see what some professionals and guys here do and it is breathtaking compared to my efforts but it is keeping me sane and is very rewarding all the same. 8)

Scale model building and drawing where my staple diet for years but life issues and health pushed them into the background, I do this now, never actually fully scratchbuilt a plastic model myself, however, I converted many Airfix aircraft,tanks and other vehicles using some excellent guides put together by master modellers, maybe all that and many more excellent 3d tutorials has helped me in creating these objects for us in a digital format. ;)

Hello Pete, Thank you for all the hard work you have done here, Thorneycroft Coles works fine and looks better and better with every update. 8)

Good to know you are enjoying it so far Piotrek1 and all is in good order in your install, enjoy. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.

Shessi

« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2020, 05:27:03 AM »

Hi Pete,
Fantastic!  Looks superb and works really well, fun to use something different in game... ]cheers[

A very minor comment, I'm not saying never, but the crew would be more likely wearing side/forage caps or possibly berets than tin helmets.

Ahhh the model conversion, remember the conversions in the Airfix Magazine or Tamiya magazine...plasticard and the whiff/highs of tons of good ol' Airfix glue...ha ha.

Thanks

Shessi

p.s Forgot to say I emailed the Yorkshire Air Museum a few weeks ago about conversing with someone about the restored crane they have, the so and so's haven't even bothered to acknowledge the contact!!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2020, 06:39:52 AM »

Hi Pete,
Fantastic!  Looks superb and works really well, fun to use something different in game... ]cheers[

A very minor comment, I'm not saying never, but the crew would be more likely wearing side/forage caps or possibly berets than tin helmets.

Hello Shessi, glad to know you are happy with the ongoing updates. 8)

I retained the helmets because I figured as it was a working vehicle and possibly a wartime environment there might have been similar safety requirements then as there are now in regard to objects falling from height and lets face it the stuff those guys recovered would be a little worse for wear after having taken war damage and the resulting crash landing. ;)

If any of you prefer something else then many of the objects in game should be able to furnish other soldier figures to provide something more to your individual tastes, I used these as a way to position a crew and save you the job, please be aware they were positioned in the 3d program so anything else you add will most likely require you to place them correctly with the hier.

p.s Forgot to say I emailed the Yorkshire Air Museum a few weeks ago about conversing with someone about the restored crane they have, the so and so's haven't even bothered to acknowledge the contact!!

Unfortunately this is a common issue when it comes to research sadly, however, what you need to bear in mind is that in many instances these museums are run by volunteers who already have day jobs and families but devote time to preserve our heritage for free, giving their knowledge and talents for all our benefit. 8)

Take care and be safe.

Shessi

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2020, 04:10:14 PM »

Pete,

Ha ha..health and safety, and risk assessment in wartime...love it!   ;D

Appreciate that they are probably but few volunteers...but they had a question application form to fill in (which I did)..so they obviously support queries.  Anyway with the situation at the mo, I'm not bothered...ve vill see!

S

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2020, 03:42:41 AM »

Pete,

Ha ha..health and safety, and risk assessment in wartime...love it!   ;D

Appreciate that they are probably but few volunteers...but they had a question application form to fill in (which I did)..so they obviously support queries.  Anyway with the situation at the mo, I'm not bothered...ve vill see!

S

I took a look at the 3d model of the soldier Shessi, under the hat there is no head.   o_O

He must have been late putting on the hat. :D

Sorry, I am in that sort of funny mood this morning, lock down and all that, world in chaos, you know how it is. ;)

To change the hat it would be necessary to make a section to fill in the hole and then map it, there would then be the challenge of making the hat you suggested, right now I have more important areas of the build to sort out.  Using the tin hat will not be wrong as such, certainly they would have needed them on airfields under attack and in the wider context fire crews in old films are seen with them so I can live with it.  Cloth hats would have been worn at parade and maybe whilst driving, other than that it was wartime.

Unfortunately posting images is proving almost impossible at the moment, I got a few up late the other night for another thread but no go yesterday or so far today. :( ::(

The cable that holds the hook during travel is being made, I have already adapted the hook itself by raising it up to to the boom and altering the cable accordingly to angle the hook.  Last night I made a start on the eve and bolt that holds the cable between hook and the front of the vehicle to steady it, need to do the cable itself and map the new parts and that will be one more job to strike off the list.

Here is what I am on about, already had this image uploaded:

Take care, be safe.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 27 queries.