Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.  (Read 53379 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Thorneycroft Amazon WF/AC6/1/Coles Mk VII, series 2.
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2020, 12:21:45 PM »

Hello again guys, a little progress update. ;)

I decided to try and replicate the vents on the engine covers. :P

And so it began, slowly but surely, the outer parts:

preparing blocks to do the Boolean cuts into the engine cover:

So far so good, I cut each one individually, tedious but saved any issues with joining all the blocks
together and cutting:

Testing the outer part up against the panel:

Mapped and painted:

Added door handles and hand holds to doors and engine covers:

First test in game:

The outer vents are attached to the cover with the hier, the poly limit was too high to attach both sides
and make the complete unit as one mesh:

However, the detached panels were separated into left and right and the vents attached to each:

Sometime today or tomorrow I will upload a new link that incorporates all the changes shown so far. ;)

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »

Hello guys, there is now a updated link to the ongoing W.I.P. in the first post. ;)

Please completely remove existing folder as there have been too many changes to note, some
parts are renamed and some removed to be replaced by new versions.

mechanic

« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2020, 10:23:47 PM »

I must admit, it is a lot of fun to look over your shoulder as you build out this model. It displays nicely under observation in BAT 3.8.

0.7 MB    2020.02.06 05-12-08.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                          0.6 MB    2020.02.06 05-15-50.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

0.7 MB    2020.02.06 05-12-08.jpg                  Check                                            Error                                                 

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #51 on: February 06, 2020, 02:22:31 AM »

I must admit, it is a lot of fun to look over your shoulder as you build out this model.

Good to know you are enjoying seeing the build mechanic as I do it as well as being able to put it in game and follow it as it goes through
that process. ;)

The truck is in parts at the moment so you can create further variations yourself by moving parts around and altering the hier to make
your own vehicle and maybe suggesting ways to further improve things as I go. 8)

My approach comes from the fact I used to make a lot of scale models and loved to read through magazines where the authors took you
through the actual build themselves allowing you to see the detail inside and out, rather than just present the reader with the finished
artifact, I also wrote a number of articles myself years ago in the same way so have carried that through to my experiments with 3d modelling
in the hope I can learn myself as well as maybe show others how it is done. :)

The beauty of these threads is you can actively participate, asking questions or providing vital information that helps produce the final model
as well as hopefully learning a few tricks yourself. 8)

Next up is definitely the Coles crane part of the build, this is the defining area of the build that brings the thing to life so to speak, I will leave
the engine until last. :D

Take care.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »

And so on we go, the business end of the project begins. :D

Civilian use:

The Coles crane it could be said is the star of the combination, it was used on countless other
chassis and is I guess more famous in its own right to the Thorneycroft, however, Mr Airfix did
this version so it will be forever etched in the memory of us that built it back then and still do
as the Airfix Recovery Set.

Here are some of those other combinations:

Shessi

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2020, 06:14:11 AM »

Pete,
Thanks for the update.

Just thinking about the grill, it looks almost diamond shape in real life.  So why not try two pixels wide and one high, and see if that works?  Love to see a Matador crane ...;)

And you good ol' so and so, mentioning the Airfix airfield sets. Loved 'em.  Especially the Refuel set.  But also the Recovery and Emergency sets.  Those Roy Cross box top pics...brings a tear...ha! ]thumbsup[

Cheers

Shessi

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2020, 08:16:26 AM »

Fantastic, Bravo Pete! The model from close up (and overall) looks very nice , it's certainly a lot of work, but the end result is impressive 8).

btw: I employed a few pieces at RAAF :).

Best regards,
Piotrek

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2020, 09:00:26 AM »

Just thinking about the grill, it looks almost diamond shape in real life.  So why not try two pixels wide and one high, and see if that works?  Love to see a Matador crane ...;)

Hello Shessi, for now I have settled for the grill as you find it, I am concentrating on the crane from here on, there is a template with the model so you and others can take a look and do alterations as you wish to create something each of you likes, let me know if you create something appropriate. ;)

Once the crane is built it will be a separate part of the vehicle so there is the opportunity for anyone to create further vehicles such as the Matador as that particular model was widely used in many variations.

And yes Shessi, the Airfix box art was the inspiration then and still is for those of us with the creative urge, some excellent paintings on all the models they sold. :)

Fantastic, Bravo Pete! The model from close up (and overall) looks very nice , it's certainly a lot of work, but the end result is impressive 8).

btw: I employed a few pieces at RAAF :).

Best regards,
Piotrek

Glad you like the work so far Piotrek and have found a use for the model, once finished it should provide many options for scenery builders. 8)

Mapping has started on the Coles cab:

Take care.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2020, 11:13:54 AM »

Hello again guys, the tinkering continues of and on as I can. ;)

The crane cabin now mapped and doing a test fit of a driver, the soldier 3d is I think by wingflyr
from one of SAS~Epervier's vehicle packs:

Buillding the components for the turntable for the crane:

The bracket to hold the contraption in place to the cab and the strengthening wedges around the base:

I need to try and repaint the soldiers to match their new employer, the R.A.F.:

Wedges in position and mapped, the round objects are the wheels to support turntable rotation:

Control box for the crane cab:

Bolts in place:

The real deal, the unit under restoration in Belfast:

The various rings that make up the turntable are next for mapping as is the bracket to attach the unit
to the cab.

Take care.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2020, 02:25:55 PM »

Hello again guys, a further update. ;)

Mapping the turntable for the Coles cab:

Mapping done and trying to make sure it all aligns:

The Coles cab and its turntable ready to extract:

In game, the upper ring has no top as normally it will be hidden so it looks odd looking at it from
this angle:

Cab and drivers compartment:

Well, it is coming together nicely, next up the actual crane boom, that should be fun and games. :D

Take care.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2020, 10:27:10 AM »

Hello guys, there is a new link in the first post for those of you following this ongoing project. ;)

The Coles crane cab shown under construction is now included, both on the existing two vehicles
with a third added for testing with a separate version of the crane unit.

Some images:

A few possible uses once this unit is complete:

You get the drift, I was having one of those moments. :D :P

Take care.

Wishing you all the very6 best, Pete. ;D

Zflyer48

• Modder
  • There is no failure in doing; only in not trying.
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:32 AM »

Looking very good, Pete. Like me, you go where the Muse takes you.

Best Regards
Mike
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 27 queries.