Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airshow smoke?  (Read 192 times)

K5083

• Aircraft in Focus
Airshow smoke?
« on: November 17, 2019, 08:57:09 AM »

Hi, I have a question.  In the version of the SAS Engine Mod that is integrated into BAT, does the Enhanced Airshow Smoke feature (which changes the skinny wingtip smoke into one fat smoke trail from the exhaust) still work?  If so, how?

The PDF readme for v2.7 that unpacks to the !SAS_Engine_Mod folder in each BAT module says to insert the line AirShowSmokeEnhanced=1 into the [Mods] section of conf.ini, but that isn't working for me.  Since the mod in now installed separately in each module, it actually would surprise me if it were still looking for this switch in the shared conf.ini, but where is it looking for it?

I notice that in !SAS_Engine_Mod\3do\Effects\Aircraft\, there are sets of effects files AirShowSmoke1, AirShowSmoke1_2, and AirShowSmoke1_3, each with different color smoke, and the same starting with AirShowSmoke2 and AirShowSmoke3.  This implies the existence of three different airshow smoke modes.  I just don't know how to activate them.

I was able to change the color of the default wingtip smoke by editing the AirShowRedTSPD.eff and AirShowGreenTSPD.eff files, which is progress; red and green smoke are all very patriotic when I'm flying a routine in an Italian or Hungarian plane, but otherwise it's nice to have other colors.

Thanks for any help.

August

<Gunny>

Re: Airshow smoke?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:33:14 PM »

Add to your config [Mods]

AirShowSmoke=1

K5083

• Aircraft in Focus
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

Thank you.  That didn't work for me at first, but then I realized I have to NOT put in the AirShowSmokeEnhanced=1 command.

So, for future googlers:  Ignore what it says about AirShowSmokeEnhanced=1 in the PDF file, just add your choice of the following to the [Mods] Section of your conf.ini:

AirShowSmoke=0 default tip smoke
AirShowSmoke=1 single trail of red smoke from exhaust
AirShowSmoke=2 single trail of white smoke from exhaust
AirShowSmoke=3 single trail of blue smoke from exhaust

August

K5083

• Aircraft in Focus
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 03:40:40 PM »

And a further note for future googlers.  You can still use the AirShowSmokeEnhanced command, either with =1, =2, or =3.  It changes the characteristics of the smoke, including thickness, emission frequency, persistence, etc.

Personally I find AirShowSmokeEnhanced=3 to be a nice thick meaty airshow smoke that hangs around long enough to complete a loop before it fades.

If none of the available options satisfy you, you can directly edit the .eff files in !SAS_Engine_Mod\3do\Effects\Aircraft\.

No matter what characteristics you have the single smoke trail set to, you can always go back to the default tip smoke by setting AirShowSmoke=0, even if you leave the AirShowEnhanced command in the conf.ini; it will just be ignored unless AirShowSmoke is set to 1, 2, or 3.  That makes it easy to switch between tip smoke and your favorite single smoke.

Thanks Gunny for the help figuring this out.

August
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 27 queries.