Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Realistic FOV for TrackIR?  (Read 467 times)

JohannDaart

Realistic FOV for TrackIR?
« on: November 12, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »

Recently I bought TrackIR for FSX and IL-2 and in general, it's a real change in the whole experience.

In FSX, there's a wide FOV setting for 16:9 screens and a zoom setting.
When set on 1.0 zoom, and widescreen FOV, the game looks good and realistic.
FSX wide FOV is 35° vertically, which gives 58° horizontal FOV.
Here's a good video about TrackIR FOV in FSX.

I've tried setting up FOV to 58° in IL-2... and it doesn't seem right. In Bf-109, there's nothing apart instruments on the screen, and they are really big. It's crazy hard to take off and land without seeing the runway on the sides.

What FOV settings do you recommend for TrackIR, that are realistic (not overly distorted) and useful (instruments are readable while using TrackIR and at the same time, there's some peripheral side vision)?

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Realistic FOV for TrackIR?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 11:39:41 AM »

Check to make sure you are not in the 'zoom' or 'gunsight' mode in the cockpit.  I find that is the case every time I spawn in the cockpit and I have to "unzoom" to what I consider my 'normal' view (I use the 'End' key but not sure if that is a default key or if it needs to be programmed).

K5083

• Aircraft in Focus
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »

Personally I keep it zoomed out to the widest setting available in the stock game (you can map a key in Control or just keep pressing the zoom-out key until it stops).  At that setting I find the numbers on the dials aren't really legible, but the needle positions are easy to see and I've learned about where they should be, as you would in a real plane.  I have intermediate and high zoom settings mapped to keys for sighting and for a closer look at bogeys.

Here's a tip also, you can map a key or joystick button to center TrackIR in the TrackIR software, but deselect "trap," and the button will still be read by IL-2 and you can map it to your preferred zoom level in IL-2.  So one button does both.

August

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 02:53:36 AM »

I think my overall best balance of view and instruments is at 85 degrees or somewhere near.

Regards

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »

A narrow FoV is OK for a civvie sim, but in the hectic environment of air combat one needs a reasonably wide FoV for decent situational awareness.

I use a default of 105 degrees, via a mod and a conf.ini line to set this to be established upon entering the cockpit. In addition to this value, I have two other FoV's mapped to my stick, for FoVs of 30 and 70 degrees. Another mod I use introduces smooth zooming, and so the transition between these three FoVs is not jarring.

Why did I choose my widest FoV of 105 degrees? It's the widest setting for a 16:9 display that does not introduce too awful distortion and also not make wing gaps (where present) horribly apparent. To reduce the impact of the distortion that is unavoidably present, I sit about 45-50cm (~1-1/2 feet) from my 32" (curved screen), 2650x1440 monitor. This somewhat 'compresses' the radial stretching at the screen periphery due to looking there at an angle. To make focus comfortable for my 57 year old eyes, I wear reading glasses having reasonably large lenses that permit seeing the full screen from that close distance.

I've also modded my game so that instead of a horizontal head swing limit of 150 degrees, I now have 180. And in the vertical, I've expanded from -60 degrees to -75 looking down and from 89 degrees to 135 looking up. This means that I essentially never hit hard limits when swivelling my virtual head, making for an overall more immersive experience.

All in all, my setup competes favorably with a VR display. It beats current VR, of course, in raw resolution. And TrackIR's feature of generating virtual head panning that is 'magnified' means one does not have to suffer the neck exertions of 1:1 panning; much more relaxing on that score.

CamusB455

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 03:51:09 PM »

A good tactic to use actively use the Zoom controls.  If you don't have a free axis to map this to, you can have at least zoom buttons mapped.  I don't recall if there are zoom levels (%) that you can map buttons to in 1946, but take advantage of it if possible.  I have a throttle quadrant with 6 levers, and my zoom and throttle are right next to each other. I use the zoom lever more, so much so that the indent catch is completely loose from wear.

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2019, 01:06:20 AM »

I use a default of 105 degrees, via a mod and a conf.ini line to set this to be established upon entering the cockpit.

Hello WxTech,

It would be nice of you, would you tell us something more about your procedure.

Best regards,

]cheers[

Gerhard
That everything and everyone must grow in opposition to resistance and contradiction. This ain't no time to go to sleep - Tina Dico         FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2019, 11:04:02 PM »

Gerhard,
I just cooked up a readme covering my alterations to Mike's smooth zoom mod (involves CmdFov.class), and my own little tweak to HookPilot.class for increased head tracker panning range.

Note that there's some possibility that one could have other mods involving these classes! If so, the ideal is to combine them by suitably altering the Java code. (I've been doing such for other discrete mods, combining two into one and thereby enjoying the benefits of both.)

I'll soon be releasing this mod, which is actually two discrete mods that can be used by themselves. If one does not like my tweaks to Mike's work, then by all means one should use his original; it will not interfere with my head tracker mod.

I've written up a fair bit of detail that should keep things clear, and to explain my own game preferences and methodology for FoV setting. I will include also the Java code, which will help other coders if they want to incorporate my stuff,  or undertake further tweaking.

Cheers!
Glenn

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2019, 12:50:34 AM »

Hello Glenn,

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I asked the question because a very long time ago I had also set the "105 °" in my "conf.ini".

Because of the always new "visual" mods I have no memory with which mod I had the "105 degrees" had connected.

With excitement I expect your new mod!

Best regards,

]cheers[

Gerhard
That everything and everyone must grow in opposition to resistance and contradiction. This ain't no time to go to sleep - Tina Dico         FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2019, 02:13:06 AM »

If I can add my experience to this typical "creative anarchy", as a former photography enthusiast I found the following ideas useful, which led me to fix my default FOV (on my little - 17 " - 4:3 monitor) always between 43 ° and 45 °:

http://www.fotocomefare.com/tutorial-fotografia-lunghezza-focale-campo-visivo/

"To understand what the angle of view is, think about how human vision works. if you look straight ahead, you can see all the things that are in an area (which we call visual field) with a certain extension. When you want to see something outside the area, right or left, you have to rotate your head.

This area has an angle shape that widens from the eyes, so it is measured in degrees. The horizontal field angle (what is usually considered) of a single human eye is between 43 ° and 45 ° (see Wikipedia).
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normal_lens

A lens with a focal length about equal to the diagonal size of the film or sensor format is known as a normal lens; its angle of view is similar to the angle subtended by a large-enough print viewed at a typical viewing distance equal to the print diagonal; this angle of view is about 53° diagonally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_lens#Aperture_and_focal_length

Normal lens: angle of view of the diagonal about 50° and a focal length approximately equal to the image diagonal.
Wide-angle lens: angle of view wider than 60° and focal length shorter than normal.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »

If one desires a 1:1 correspondence in visual image scale, then the FoV would have to be set so as to equal the apparent angular width of the screen.

For instance. Suppose you have a screen 1 meter wide. If you sit 87cm from that screen, it subtends an apparent angular width of 60 degrees. Therefore a 1:1 image scale that matches reality would demand that the game's FoV be set to the same 60 degrees.

A second example. The same 1 meter wide screen seen from a distance of 1/2 meter subtends 90 degrees. A 1:1 matching would then require an in-game FoV of 90 degrees.

Or to go in the other direction... A small 1/2 meter wide screen seen from 1.5 meters distance subtends a small apparent angular width of just 9.5 degrees! Setting a game FoV of about the same 10 degrees would be insane for general flying.

A person's horizontal field of vision is actually a bit more than 180 degrees. Using figures in the context of photography is not really valid. In any event, unless one has a big screen and/or sits suitably close, the game's image scale will usually be smaller than that seen in reality anyway. And for a combat sim, where situational awareness demands a not restricted view, we must accept image scales usually smaller than reality. Except when zoomed in, of course.

In short, I would emphasize a suitably large game FoV that satisfies the needs of situational awareness. Too narrow and you can easily miss stuff occuring just outside the limited field of an unnecessarily restricted FoV.

My approach is to get my screen to subtend an apparent angle in about the 90 degree range. Wearing 2.75 diopter reading glasses makes the screen appear a good 10% larger in width (or 20% larger in area), which further helps. And so with my selected 105 degree game FoV, the discordance in apparent image size compared to reality is not that bad. It's rather like being in the cockpit. The screen pretty much fills to the max the field angle provided by my reading glasses. It's pretty immersive.

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 01:48:16 PM »

WxTech your attention to detail blows me away. If I send you my screen size, resolution, FOV and glasses prescription can you tell me how far away to sit? Meant as a friendly joke  :D

Regards,

M
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 27 queries.