Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some recent tweaking  (Read 900 times)

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
Re: Some recent tweaking
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2019, 02:08:10 AM »

Exactly the kind of tweaks I like, thank you!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2019, 12:18:38 AM »

Another problem I was aware of several years ago, and only just now thought to correct in the CockpitA6M2.class. It's been around from the start, and is still present up to 4.12.2 at least.

And it's present also in other Zero cockpit classes, which I'll tackle shortly...

Code: [Select]
/* mesh.chunkSetAngles("Z_Horison1c", 0.0F, cvt(w.z, -0.23562F, 0.23562F, 30.0F, -30.0F), 0.0F);  //WRONG!!!!!  */
mesh.chunkSetAngles("Z_Horison1c", 0.0F, -fm.Or.getKren(), 0.0F);

The first line in the code snippet above is the stock mistake, and treats the bank angle caret on the artificial horizon *exactly* like the the turn rate needle on the turn/slip gauge. So very wrong.

The correct treatment is on the following line, which uses the bank angle value from the FM.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 07:11:47 PM »

Another minor gripe put to rest.

I've always hated the way rain sounds quickly faded away upon ascending only a very short altitude above the cloud base. This gives the impression that rain forms only at the cloud base, whereas in reality it forms a good ways toward the cloud tops. (Even forming as snow if high/cold enough, melting to rain farther down.)

It turns out that in code the sound fades to zero only 200m above the cloud base. That's sudden! I increased this to 2500m, making for a much more gradual transition in sound volume, and suggesting the more realistic depth throughout the cloud in which rain occurs.

In EffClouds.class (4.12, but likely the same for earlier versions?) is the following snippet of code, where the line setting 200 was replaced with one setting 2500:

Code: [Select]
    public void soundUpdate(double d)
    {
        if(sound != null)
        {
            float f = (float)d;
            float f1 = 1.0F;
/*            float f2 = 200F; */
            float f2 = 2500F;
            if(f > height)
            {
                f -= height;
                if(f < f2)
                    f1 = 1.0F - f / f2;
                else
                    f1 = 0.0F;
            }
            sound.setVolume(f1 * vmax);
        }
    }

This might be a bit too large for stock clouds, where in DATA.cld the value for BASE_R_DISP is 2.5 (controls cumulus cloud size). I've settled on a value of 3.5, although in the past I went as high as 5--but those HUGE clouds cause unsightly artifacts and even worse weird shifting of the cloud textures as you pan the view. And so I've taken to liking 3.5 as a good compromise for large enough clouds not suffering too much oddness.

Dreamk

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 01:37:39 AM »

Increase the range of head swiveling with head tracking. In azimuth, from 150 to 180 degrees. Looking down, from -60 to -75 degrees. Looking up, from 89 to 135 degrees.
This will be great! It will enable to model the Vector bombsights in this game, that were used by so many ww2 bombers.
The 3D models have been ready since a long time on my computer shelves, but till now I was stuck by this very issue of head movements limitations , whenever I tried to import them in cockpits.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.