Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Midway - the Movie  (Read 7305 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Midway - the Movie
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2019, 02:21:17 AM »

Reviewer Mark Kermode says this one is worse than Pearl Harbour. Mainly because of the cliche-laden, sophomoric script featuring one-dimensional characters.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 11:57:07 PM »

i don't rely on the current crop of reviewers anymore - invariably, everything they find shit is stuff i really enjoy, and their idea of a good movie would only feature black dwarf lesbian females with blue or green hair as main characters.
which i don't enjoy much, as it in no way reflects the real world.
so, as a rule of thumb, if something gets a bad review from the 'official reviewers' then chances are it's probably pretty good.
whether this is going to be better than Pearl Harbor or not, I'll still watch it.
it's not like we're inundated with decent wartime movies lately.
that said, i just watched 'Danger Close' a Vietnam war movie about Australian troops at Long Tan.
it was pretty good, loads of action, without the over the top dramatics that you see in most Pedowood productions.

my favorite quote from it: 'we're not here to fuck spiders - we're here to fight a war'           
               :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Jimbo947

« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 12:58:00 PM »

I have,nt seen Midway the movie yet..By some reports it will be straight to Netflix or Prime...
Anyways..I digress..
.I find it amazing how far CGI has become life like...i.e any modern blockbuster...You can,t see the seams
I was watching an old favorite of mine in the past few weeks  Dr Strangelove..A classic from 1963 ... In the flying scenes of the low flying B52 somewhere over Russia, you can,t miss the that the shadow fleeting over the snow fields and mountains  is that of a B17 and that ,somehow, they superimposed a model of the B 52.

Barkhorn1x

« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »

i don't rely on the current crop of reviewers anymore - invariably, everything they find shit is stuff i really enjoy, and their idea of a good movie would only feature black dwarf lesbian females with blue or green hair as main characters.
which i don't enjoy much, as it in no way reflects the real world.

Exactly where I'm at with all this #Woke, #Girl Power bullshit shoved down our throats every other movie.

But I will see this one as things fly around and things go boom and I like that sort of thing.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2019, 02:58:12 PM »

I'd be curious to see versions of movies like Independence Day, Pearl Harbor, etc., released without their music scores. Would they impart the story in the same way? I've seen those flicks, and enjoyed them for what they are. But I felt that the score was manipulating me (as it's supposed to ;) ) into being carried along. I wonder if Midway has a similar dependence upon its music (not seen it yet.)

To me, a severe test of the writing and story-telling of a flick is whether it can be presented with no manipulating music at all. Few and far between have been such movies. But for the good ones, I was struck by the notable realism wherein I was just observing--like in real life--without having everything interpreted for me by music cues.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2019, 03:39:37 PM »

I'd be curious to see versions of movies like Independence Day, Pearl Harbor, etc., released without their music scores. Would they impart the story in the same way? I've seen those flicks, and enjoyed them for what they are. But I felt that the score was manipulating me (as it's supposed to ;) ) into being carried along. I wonder if Midway has a similar dependence upon its music (not seen it yet.)

To me, a severe test of the writing and story-telling of a flick is whether it can be presented with no manipulating music at all. Few and far between have been such movies. But for the good ones, I was struck by the notable realism wherein I was just observing--like in real life--without having everything interpreted for me by music cues.

Odd that no one ever mentions Emmerich's completely different movie 'Anonymous'. A fictitious tale about Shakespeare, it is historical movie making at its best. And the cgi is incredible. You'd think you were in late 16th century London. And the sound track was somewhat different as it used a lot of what I guess is 16th century (sounding?) music. It gives a special feeling to the movie.

I'd say that the movies without soundtracks or not appropriate sound tracks are doomed to fail. They won't work as well. Music is an integral part of movie making. That doesn't mean a 200 piece symphony orchestra blaring out the loudspeakers, but even simple sustained tones can set the atmosphere more appropriately. Directors like Kubrick knew this very well and went to great pains to find the absolutely correct score their his movies.

Back when i was younger I saw lots of french movies that didn't have scores except maybe the credits. probably because of low budgets. It usually made for boring movies ...

Gubi

• Flying Ass Clown #34
  • Modder
  • RIP
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 07:06:05 PM »

Conceptually agreed on all issues.  My favorite...is music...with no pictures...  Imagine...

Cheers and prost
I am a moron.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »

...with no pictures...  Imagine...

this, to me, is what it all boils down to. i have always preferred music and reading a good book to watching a movie.
this allows you to use your own imagination to envision the world you are reading about, or listening to.
a movie doesn't allow you this opportunity, forcing you to watch a specific version from someone else's mind.
hence, your imagination is suppressed, and hence, your brain becomes lazier.
that's my take on movies in general.

8)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

lerongeurvolant

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 01:18:16 PM »

Hello everybody

Ive seen Midway and I have only one thing to say : Where are thoses damned Wildcat and Buffalo !!!

::(

PaladinX

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2019, 01:49:13 AM »

I saw the movie now and i like it :)
Great entertainment in an very interesting scenario ( i love the pacific theatre).
Its not Hollywood, its more or less a chinese production with a german director and some known faces from hollywood.
In my opinion better than "Pearl Harbor", less love story.

At the beginning, the dialogues are somewhat stupid - but they get better in the middle and the end. But some sentences are required to explain what happens for people who dont know the historic backgrounds.

The movie shows both sides more or less, of course with a certain weight on the winner, the US pilots. And i think they reproduced the thoughts and fears of some pilots very good.

what i miss somehow are the fighters on american side. where are the wildcats? not one to see.

I recommend to watch for everybody who likes aircraft in general and ww2 aircraft in special.
We dont have much choice when it comes to air combat movies.

between: the cinema was sold out on friday, saturday and sunday. was hard to get a place.
Win 11 PC | 7800 X3D | RTX 3080 Ti | LG OLED 42 C2 | Virpil Alpha on War BRD & Warthog Throttle | Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo | TM TPM Rudder

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 02:01:01 AM »

I saw the movie now and i like it :)

between: the cinema was sold out on friday, saturday and sunday. was hard to get a place.

I saw the movie on a Thursday evening and all told, there were 3 of us on the theater. Not really a full house. But in Belgium few people are aware of the fighting in the Pacific to begin with, except in a very vague way. Pearl Harbor may ring a bell and then it is Hiroshima and Nagasaki and in between as good as nothing. That's why I went the very first days it was playing cause i don't see Midway getting a long run here ...

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2019, 02:03:35 AM »

Ive seen Midway and I have only one thing to say : Where are thoses damned Wildcat and Buffalo !!!
 ::(

I'd put that down to budget ... and maybe not to confuse the audience too much. Most of us can recognize aircraft, even in profile. For everyday folks it is all fuselages and wings and tails ... :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 25 queries.