Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P-40 Tiger Mouths  (Read 1621 times)

[FAC]Ghost129er

• Modder
  • SAS Certified Nuisance
P-40 Tiger Mouths
« on: November 05, 2019, 03:23:01 AM »

Found this online, maybe others will be interested in it too?

Not sure about legitimacy/accuracy/etc.
SAS1946's Bitch #65

vonofterdingen

• Missioneer
Re: P-40 Tiger Mouths
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 04:15:10 PM »

Great post. Nice collection. I had not known that there were so many variations.

Knochenlutscher

• "Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:55:28 AM »

Initially these happened to be used regularly in ZG76, a common adversary of 112.Squadron RAF whose Pilots frequently met over the skies of the Channel, Syria, Iraq. They first appeared on Tomahawks while on transfer and transition in Palestine. They got very liked and earned a bit fame, even later on their Kittyhawks.
Yet they where the first Allied Unit to also adopt the sharkmouths, way before the Chennault and his Flying Tigers read a reknown Magazine article about the Sharkmouths used in 112 RAF, then joining the club of adopting it a bit different.

Depicted above is also a sole VVS Kitty independently, which was very unique. Some OTU SAAF Kitties from old 112 RAF/North African stocks existed too. Later spreading to other types of Allied or Axis aircraft, but rather not frequently as these 3 main Squadrons mentioned above.

At least in 112 RAF each sharkmouth was ~95% unique, slight variations were not the regular base, but Pilots wanting/demanding different details i.e. like bigger Teeth or angry look etc. I tend to say in 112. RAF these Sharkmouths represent the most creative of all sharkmouths in WW2 ever put on planes.
Their German ancestors being rather simple and the US variations or every other attempt really poor if compared to other motivs used. The late war P-40 Warhawks in China i.e. where in reallity not as unique as depicted here, skinned most of them and found the base photographs rather intrigueing showing a sort multiplication of a "trendy" style.

Check my Skinpack on 112 RAF storage of different Sharks:
http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=2036

Best wishes
Wiseman: Did you speak the exact words? Ash: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.

Knochenlutscher

• "Klaatu... verata... n... Necktie. Nectar. Nickel. Noodle."
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2019, 05:43:42 AM »

There is a 2 Volume Series of Books on the topic,
I have Vol.1 dealing with 1916-1945 sharkmouths on Aircraft.

Code: [Select]
Sharkmouth 1916-1945
Richard Ward 
Osprey Publications Limited 
Aircam Aviation Series №S3
ISBN: 850450144
English
Wiseman: Did you speak the exact words? Ash: Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah.

Gaston

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2019, 05:52:16 AM »

Should be an interesting book... and sharkmouth was not weared by P-40s only !

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 04:29:15 PM »

well said, Knochenlutscher, and thanks for the great download of P40 "sharkskin suits".
My dearly departed dad was a pilot in 112 sqdn, and would fully endorse your comments !
regarding other aircraft:   
Eg: 112 switched to P51s in mid 44 [in Italy], and these new a/c quickly had the sharkmouth added.
f_f

Jolly Green

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2020, 09:55:59 AM »

Thanks Knochenlutscher

Amazing skin pack, stunning detail, been a big fan of 112 squadron and its P-40s 🙂
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 26 queries.