Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterstart  (Read 5491 times)

darky1958

• Ne discere cessa.....
Waterstart
« on: September 02, 2019, 08:02:40 AM »

Hello,
In one of my mission I would like to create water airport...
Anybody knows how to ?
Regards
Darky

Vampire_pilot

Re: Waterstart
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 08:17:07 AM »

Any seaplane can take off from any water surface. Just set the takeoff point there. Same for landing.

In some maps there are even waterplane airfields set on water but this is not necessary.

darky1958

• Ne discere cessa.....
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 08:37:48 AM »

Thank you

Dimlee

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 02:56:20 PM »

Just be prepared to encounter situations when AI seaplane will overfly designated landing point and will climb and turn and land at the nearest ground airfield...
In the mission I create now I try to "convince" AI Walrus to land in the water near Taranto. No success so far, AI is stubborn.  :)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »

Just be prepared to encounter situations when AI seaplane will overfly designated landing point and will climb and turn and land at the nearest ground airfield...
In the mission I create now I try to "convince" AI Walrus to land in the water near Taranto. No success so far, AI is stubborn.  :)

This only happens if you use a mod plane that's not set up for your game version.
As of 4.12, the java type for a water plane (sailplane -> seaplane) was changed. So if you run a pre-4.12 java class in a  4.12 game, the plane will think it's a land plane. Unless someone fixes the java.

Dimlee

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 03:37:22 PM »

Thanks for comment.
I should stop to waste my time on taming the Walrus. Let him fly to DZ and disappear...  8)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:52:48 AM »

mind you, in BAT this should all be rectified.
No idea what game version you have.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:48:01 AM »

Any seaplane can take off from any water surface. Just set the takeoff point there. Same for landing.

In some maps there are even waterplane airfields set on water but this is not necessary.

From my previous experience of campaign building it is correct that a seaplane could take off from any water but when selected that waypoint will automatically move to the nearest icon, usually at the nearest land airfield, so you have to then move it far enough away before saving so it does not do that, touch down with auto set the aircraft had to have a designated landing position.

The landing airfield icons with waypoints can only be assigned by the map maker.

There are items in the FMB that do enable you to set touch down on water for land aircraft, these are a sort of stand in carrier deck but I forget what they are called.

Admittedly it is some time since I did much in that department but this is the same for any aircraft wheeled or seaplane, if they are not assigned to that particular icon that is visible on the map then any AI controlled aircraft will orbit the way point.

Sorry. if there is no landing assigned the aircraft will orbit.

Many map makers forget to add seaplane landing areas to maps or when they do there are too few.

The above is primarily a concern for AI aircraft added in missions, if piloting the aircraft yourself you can of course land where you want, I am usually forced by events to land a bullet riddled aircraft far from home. :D

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 11:52:37 AM »

Okay I got things a little off, your aircraft can land on water without the sea plane runways, however, as soon as the aircraft
reaches the waypoint for landing the engines cut out and the aircraft glides down to the water for touch down and remains
where it lands so does not taxi to a specific point.  ;)

Apologies for any confusion guys, as I said it has been a while, I knew something odd happened because there
were no taxi waypoints.  :D

Dimlee

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 01:44:14 PM »

mind you, in BAT this should all be rectified.
No idea what game version you have.

BAT 3.7.1.
Map Mediterranean War over Italy by Volperossa.
AI - Supermarine Walrus.
There are two landing points in Taranto, outside and in the lake. AI ignores both and lands on the nearest ground field at Grottaglie.
I tried different options of the final approach: course, speed, altitude. Did not try another landing places yet.

Dimlee

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 02:04:23 PM »

Okay I got things a little off, your aircraft can land on water without the sea plane runways, however, as soon as the aircraft
reaches the waypoint for landing the engines cut out and the aircraft glides down to the water for touch down and remains
where it lands so does not taxi to a specific point.  ;)

Apologies for any confusion guys, as I said it has been a while, I knew something odd happened because there
were no taxi waypoints.  :D

In one of my missions I tried to make AI MBR-2 to land as close to the group of ships as possible. As it happens often in FMB, this is trial and error exercise. Changing waypoints, altitude and speed values, etc. Sometimes AI changes its course after touchdown as if to avoid approaching the ships. Sometimes, on the contrary, it comes closer. As if that smiling cartoonish pilot decides what is best for him, not for me.
After struggling with some missions I suspect that "A" in "AI" of IL2 should stand for "advanced". Or "autonomous"?  ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 02:53:48 PM »

There are two landing points in Taranto, outside and in the lake. AI ignores both and lands on the nearest ground field at Grottaglie.

Usually Dimlee, as Andy mentioned earlier, those aircraft that come from 4.10 and I think the Walrus franken is one of those, need to have the classfile altered from 'TypeSailPlane' to 'TypeSeaPlane' which is what 4.12 uses. ;)

I will crack open my Walrus classes and check for you but I think that will be the issue there.

Take care.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 27 queries.