Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeppelins M, P and Dirigibile M - repacked, new FM (v2.4)  (Read 11373 times)

Vampire_pilot

Zeppelins M, P and Dirigibile M - repacked, new FM (v2.4)
« on: July 15, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »

This a re-release bundle of the Zeppelins and the Dirigible made by Gio back in 2012 with a tweaked DffFM Flightmodel.

Dirigibile Tipo M

Zeppelin M

Zeppelin P

All credits for bringing us the Zeppelin models go to Gio and to DreamK for the slots, I just took the FM for a (crude) spin.
Please note that all the airships share the same FM, as they did before.

We do not have a specific flightmodel that truely models an airship behavior. I have no idea if it's even possible with the help of java to get close to something "lighter than air" but Vega has done a lot of interesting things for Helicopters, so maybe that's in the future.

I am not exactly an FM expert but I know enough to be dangerous... As of now, what we have here is a big, very lightweight bomber with aircraft physique and some odd values. This is driving the IL-2 flight physique into a corner and has its limitations, but it serves a few purposes.

speed performance - fast and slow.

Previously, my main issue with the old Zeppelins was the very high speeds they needed. The AI wasn't able to hold altitude at speeds below 110 km/h, even higher speeds were necessary when loaded.

The possible top speed with the previous bomber FM was over 150 km/h IAS, way beyond anything real life airships were capable of. This made it hard to set up and use in missions as this is already faster than most aircraft and not at all realistic.

So I had a look and tried (with quite primitive attempts) to tweak the performance envelope down. This was an on and off item for some time now.
Shed weight, increase lift, add drag... and see what happens.

This flightmodel now works for the AI for speeds between 75 km/h and 120 km/h which to me seems a usable and somewhat realistic performance envelope, and it is idependent of loadout weight!

A specific java code makes the FM ignore the weight of lodouts. This is extremely helpful as bomb load does not affect the necessary minimum speed anymore. You can go just as slow with a full bomb load than with an empty Zeppelin now.

The fuel is nearly unlimited and it should be near impossible to fly a Zeppelin dry. This has the side effect that fuel load has very little effect on flight behavior.

Additionally, the two gunners on top will become invisible when "Empty" is selected, to better depict a civilian airship.

altitudes - high and low

Operational altitudes in real life were between a few hundred to 3500 meters. This was still beyond most aircraft at the time.
But maybe you just want to have big fat airships as eye candy in your skies, lumbering around and about low and slow. The cigars just look so nice.

As a player, you can fly level by hand with some up-trim or use the auto level stabiliser. Recommended speeds range from 75 to 100 km/h.  I recommend to steer using rudder trim, which also works when level stabiliser is activated. Zeppelins are sluggish!

Take off and landing still is tricky and is done in an airplane manner but the AI can perform it. To let them take off or land on water, you can place an invisible auxiliary airstrip.

I have touched up the cockpits and rectifies some indicators, like altitude, clock and so on.

An additional "aimview" is created that lets you len out of the gondola. In wide angle, you will be able to observe your bombs hit he ground and you can try and Guess the aim.
Or you can simple look around as you lumber slowly across the landscape.

This is still far from anything "realistic", I know, but I feel like it's a bit of an improvement in usability and I'd like to share it so maybe these big cigars can gather some new interest  ;D

D/L  v2.4

https://www.mediafire.com/file/3b5w6394477fd3q/06_Dirigibile_ZeppelinMPv2.4.zip/file

SSP stationary by Mission_bug
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48542.0.html

Only if you experience an error about a missing 3do/plane/textures with pilotA2.tga - Hubberanz has made this patch:
https://www.mediafire.com/file/4kua6e7i5lvxvp0/06_Dirigibile_ZeppelinMP.7z/file

In case you don't like this FM at all, you can still stick with the old versions:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,30496.0.html
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,32025.0.html
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,31062.0.html

enry711

Re: Zeppelins M, P and Dirigibile M - repacked, new FM
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 10:48:22 AM »

Thank you very much vampire for this new modifications! :)

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 10:23:06 AM »

412 SAS 5.3.

Problem with the P ( no pit ):

Code: [Select]
[3:53:29 PM] INTERNAL ERROR: Str2FloatClamp() - Clamped 5 -> 2 (delta = -3) to Range 0..2
[3:53:29 PM] INTERNAL ERROR: Str2FloatClamp() - Clamped 2e+006 -> 1e+006 (delta = -1e+006) to Range 0..1e+006
[3:53:30 PM] INTERNAL ERROR: Can't open file '3DO/Plane/Textures/pilotA2.tga'
[3:53:30 PM] WARNING: object '3DO/Plane/Textures/pilotA2.tga' of class 'TTexture2D' not loaded
[3:53:30 PM] INTERNAL ERROR: Texture required
[3:53:30 PM] WARNING: object '3DO/Plane/Zeppelin_P/Pilot4.mat' of class 'TMaterial' not loaded
[3:53:30 PM] INTERNAL ERROR: Material: Can't load 'Pilot4.mat'
[3:53:30 PM] Mission error, ID_04: java.lang.RuntimeException: INTERNAL ERROR: Material: Can't load 'Pilot4.mat'
[3:53:30 PM]
[3:53:30 PM] java.lang.RuntimeException: INTERNAL ERROR: Material: Can't load 'Pilot4.mat'

[ClassInfo]
  ClassName TMaterial
  BasedOn Pilot1.mat
[Layer0]
  TextureName ..\Textures\pilotA2.tga

The file 3do/plane/textures with pilotA2.tga in it, is missing from the "repack".

I had M and P earlier versions, and found the file plane/textures/pilotA2.tga in the earlier P.

solved.

Thank you for these new FM versions.

BoB

PS: People who have this texture file from some other mod, will not experience this missing file issue. I retired my old P. You also probably did not experienced the issue either. Look in old P, it is in there.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 02:49:54 AM »

I don't find it in any old pack I have, would you mind share it?

I suppose it comes with many mods as this is in the commons Texture folder.

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 05:53:55 AM »

... perhaps not a "pack", but a stand alone (?) : AIRSHIP_Zeppelin_P

Anyway,
..here is the file from within, made into a patch:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/4kua6e7i5lvxvp0/06_Dirigibile_ZeppelinMP.7z/file

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:22:13 AM »

great thanks!

Mixx

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »

Thank you for new modifications Zeppelins

katie360

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 09:11:02 PM »

Hi there, I just downloaded and installed tis package. The ''Dirigibile Tipo M'' works fine but, the other two; Zeppelin M and P do not work at all in my Quick mission builder. It just shows a blank horizen.   

Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this?

Thank You

Hans-Joachim Marseille

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:34:11 PM »

Nice! Don't wanna make extra thread but would like to suggest a skin (maybe the whole airship) "LZ Hindenburg" as well cos that is worth it and with no doubt the most famous Zeppelin ever and would be nice in our game for missions etc.!  :)

Let Zeppelin!  ;)

"United we stand against Evil." #FCKPTN. #SlavaUkraini

Vampire_pilot

Re: Zeppelins M, P and Dirigibile M - repacked, new FM (v2.4)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2020, 03:56:58 AM »

Zeppelin v2.4 in first post!

It's the same as in BAT 3.8.4
The loadout requires some modded weapons which you may or may not have ion your install. There is a backup set of cod files included which only contains stock weaponry.

SalvationIsNigh8492

Re: Zeppelins M, P and Dirigibile M - repacked, new FM (v2.4)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2020, 04:56:33 AM »

[10:51:15 AM]   Spawn.get( com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Dirigibile_M ): com.maddox.il2.objects.air.CockpitDirigibile_M
[10:51:15 AM]   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.maddox.il2.objects.air.CockpitDirigibile_M
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Dirigibile_M.class$(Dirigibile_M.java:31)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.objects.air.Dirigibile_M.<clinit>(Dirigibile_M.java:502)
[10:51:15 AM]      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
[10:51:15 AM]      at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.rts.Spawn.get(Spawn.java:39)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.rts.Spawn.get(Spawn.java:28)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.preloadAirClasses(Main.java:214)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1540)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1475)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.MainWin3D.beginApp(MainWin3D.java:212)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.exec(Main.java:405)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)
[10:51:15 AM]   java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError
[10:51:15 AM]      at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
[10:51:15 AM]      at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.preloadAirClasses(Main.java:216)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1540)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main3D.beginApp(Main3D.java:1475)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.MainWin3D.beginApp(MainWin3D.java:212)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.Main.exec(Main.java:405)
[10:51:15 AM]      at com.maddox.il2.game.GameWin3D.main(GameWin3D.java:235)

I saw something to do with a patch in the first post, and so I was wondering if that's what would fix this, or if I'm just an idiot and installed this wrong.

lexsey

• sitting on 4.10
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 01:06:21 PM »

Nice! Don't wanna make extra thread but would like to suggest a skin (maybe the whole airship) "LZ Hindenburg" as well cos that is worth it and with no doubt the most famous Zeppelin ever and would be nice in our game for missions etc.!  :)

Let Zeppelin!  ;)
It's very interesting request! Hope someone someday will create a decent skins, but I can share you some substitute skin

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ubqjfdd5tjw1rm4/Zeppelin_p.rar/file

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 27 queries.