Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Daihatsu / TokuDaihatsu / Shohatsu --- JP Landing Craft expansion v1.0 (11/Feb/2019)  (Read 8292 times)

tvister

Thank you very much !

danperin

• Skinner

Wow! Thank you!  :)

herbarnold99

Superb! Thanks!

Mission_bug

• Modder

Excellent work, thank you very much, really appreciated. 8)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Flamer50

• 'Tracers work both ways.'
    • photobucket.com

Thanks Very Much for the new targets! 8) 8)
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus

Very nice Western  ;D
PTO campaigns have needed these for a long time

David Prosser

Thanks for these. I hope they appear in the successor to BAT Musketeer.

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to make these excellent landing craft just somewhat more resistant to strafing by aircraft. I give them one pass with machine gun and wham .. enemy boat destroyed.

That seems a bit too easy. Were they really that flimsy in real life?

In any case, I know you can fiddle around with all kinds of entries to the mods in the ships.ini (I would guess). But what to change and how I have no idea about ... Anyone have any pointers?

Mick

• Modder

... you'll have to edit the "Panzer" section of each ship in their Technics.ini ...

Example:

[DaihatsuLC_Type94truck]
Description  Japan Daihatsu Landing Craft , carrying a Type94 truck

Icon         shipDestroyer

// Models
Mesh         3do/Ships/DaihatsuLC_TankTruck/hier_Type94Tr.him

// Move
SliderDistance 36.83          // distance to "sensor of curvature" (meters)
Speed          7.408 //14.816
SoundMove      models.Ship    // FIXME: not supported yet! must to write code!

// Panzer
MinShotCaliber    0.00762
NumShots          80
MinHitExplTNT     4
NumHitExpl        4
MinNearExplTNT    8
NumNearExpl       14

I don't know which line determines the resistance of the hull to MGs, may be the NumShots section ...

I'd start by editing that line to get NumShots  800, may be this means that from now on, 800 shots are necessary to sink the ship, 10 times more than stock value of 80 ...  ;)

May be the other lines are for bombs ...  ;)

There's no risk playing with the values and test and see the result (after backing up the stock values of course)

But I'm sure some ship guru will certainly give you the solution ...  ;)

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus

I think Mick is pretty much right; there was a thread about this some time ago -

Assuming the Technics.ini parameters are the same as ships.ini

The first two values are for projectiles, ie bullets and shells

MinShotCaliber    0.00762 - the minimum size calibre that can cause any damage
NumShots          80 - the number of (the above) hits that can cause sinking damage

The other four values are for bombs, torpedoes and rockets

MinHitExplTNT     4 - minimum amount of TNT in kg that will cause visible damage with a direct hit
NumHitExpl        4 - the number of (the above) direct hits that can cause sinking damage
MinNearExplTNT    8 - minimum amount of TNT in kg that will cause visible damage with a near miss
NumNearExpl       14 - the number of (the above) near misses that can cause sinking damage

So, for example, the above craft would sink with one direct hit from a bomb containing 16kg equivalent of TNT (4x4)
But, it would take a bomb containing 112kg equivalent of TNT (8x14) to sink her with one near miss

Stock Hull Durability values sometimes seem to be quite unrealistic

For example the IJN battleship Musashi can be sunk with 2 - 3 torpedoes at stock values in the game, whereas it took something like; 14 torpedoes and 15 x 1000lb bombs to sink her at the Battle of the Sibuyan Sea https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Musashi

Just to illustrate this - here are my altered Hull Durability values for the Musashi (Yamato Class) which gives the realistic number of bomb and torpedo hits before sinking.

[strength_HullEnormYamato]
MinShotCaliber    0.203
NumShots          148
MinHitExplTNT     132
NumHitExpl        25
MinNearExplTNT    152
NumNearExpl       25

Compare with the stock "HullEnorm" values, which are dramatically smaller

[strength_HullEnorm]
MinShotCaliber    0.203
NumShots          148
MinHitExplTNT     40
NumHitExpl        25
MinNearExplTNT    80
NumNearExpl       25

I think for the landing craft the min calibre should be at least 50 cal. (0.0127) or even 20mm (0.02)
I don't know the thickness of plating on these IJN landing craft but surely it would take an awful lot of 50 cal. bullets to sink one, whereas it is feasible that reasonable number 20mm AP cannon hits on the water-line could possibly cause the boat to sink fairly quickly.

Hope this helps  :)

jpten

I believe the point being missed here is that a small boat with no crew is effectively destroyed.  There is no real cover on these types of craft.  One good strafing pass could easily leave the craft adrift with no crew.  The game Silent Hunter had a similar problem with the ships being meticulously damaged modelled but no provision for all the crew being killed.  A junk/fishing boat/sampan had to be ridiculously shelled to sink it and get credit while in real life  American subs would dispatch the crew with a few .50cal bursts and leave the vessel afloat and still take credit for destroying it.

Squashman

• Modder
  • I am Spartacus

I believe the point being missed here is that a small boat with no crew is effectively destroyed.  There is no real cover on these types of craft.  One good strafing pass could easily leave the craft adrift with no crew.  The game Silent Hunter had a similar problem with the ships being meticulously damaged modelled but no provision for all the crew being killed.  A junk/fishing boat/sampan had to be ridiculously shelled to sink it and get credit while in real life  American subs would dispatch the crew with a few .50cal bursts and leave the vessel afloat and still take credit for destroying it.

It is, however, ships not crews that are modelled in the game - and a pilot would have no easy way of assessing if all the crew had been wiped out.

Does the sub commander wait for the drifting boat to be found and re-crewed, then kill the new crew and claim another boat sunk  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.