Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: With unlocked FMB, why reverting to stock actors.static?  (Read 668 times)

WxTech

• Modder
With unlocked FMB, why reverting to stock actors.static?
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:34:33 PM »

I have both /maps and /MODS/mapmods/maps directories in my dedicated map-making installation.

After making changes to actors.static for a stock map (NewGuinea, in this case), I verify that it's saved correctly (in the /maps folder, where expected).

Next time firing up the builder, the *stock*(!!!) actors.static has overwritten my last saved work, and I have to go through the effort all over again. This has happened twice, and so now I've taken to saving a backup in a safe place.

Why is this happening?

Now a clue might be highlighted by the fact that in these instances the game locked up after opening another map and then trying to open my NewGuinea map--I had to use Task Manager to quit IL-2, then restart.

Should I adopt the practice of quitting and restarting every time I want to undertake to load a map I'm working on?

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
Re: With unlocked FMB, why reverting to stock actors.static?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:41:14 PM »

"After making changes to actors.static for a stock map (NewGuinea, in this case), I verify that it's saved correctly (in the /maps folder, where expected)."

That is OK.
 BUT now you must copy actors.static file from /maps/mapname/ folder INTO your /mods/mapmods/maps/mapname/ folder and , after backing it up, overwrite the former (stock) actors.static  file .
EDIT:
You must copy all the content of /maps/mapname/ folder into your /mods/mapmods/maps/mapname folder in order to preserve all the changes you made.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:08:35 AM »

I'm pretty sure I copied the altered actors.static to my mapmods/... Overwriting the old one. But I'll be much more diligent, and keep a backup safely squirreled away. ;)

By the way. I've always been a bit leery of trusting automatic pattern recognizing algorithms. And so instead of allowing the coastline fixing tool to rectify the problem of positive heights extending out into water, I've been manually tamping these down with the mouse. Holy Hannah, but it feels like I'm suffering the tortures of the damned! Those many, many hundreds of km of coastline on the (modded) stock New Guinea map are a mouse-hand killer after many hours.

I am surely a fool. Next time I'll at least give the software a crack at it!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »

On a somewhat different track...

I just used the Actors Management tool to filter out the RowOfTrees objects from the stock NWEurope map. Fails to load in the unlocked FMB, where the game locks up and doesn't complete writing log.lst. But it loads fine in the 'regular' game's FMB.

Huh?

Could it be that I need to renumber/reorder the objects in actors.static? I do seem to recall that number sequencing and gaps should not be an issue, but maybe that applies to the game, and not the builder?

It seems that as regards the FMB, the builder is more finicky than the game.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 12:31:28 AM »

I never used the filter function to be honest. If I want to remove all of the trees I use the unlocked FMB: I put the objects I want to remove in their own, temporary static.ini group and hide all the rest then just manually select and delete.

You can use the universal static ini checker on your actors file to find typos.

Also make sure that if you edit the actors as a  textfile it has the format of utf-8 with byte order mark(bom).

Btw, NW Europe with only autogenerated trees : https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,49554.0.html

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 05:26:30 PM »

Istvan,
Thanks for the valuable pointers!

It still remains odd that my filtered actors.static crashes the builder but loads fine in the game proper...

That NWEurope map you linked to looks mighty fine; have d/I'd, and will try soon.

Glenn

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:42 AM »

I try to help where I can. :)

Can you save a mission in the normal game with this actors?

To troubleshoot a ctd you usually need to have the 'Instant logfile output' mod otherwise the last, most important part of the log will be missing. It's part of modact 5.3, bat and vpmodpack or can be downloaded here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=19308.0

Btw iirc incorrect static ini 'title tags' will make the unlocked fmb ctd.

Each title should look like this:

//===========================================================================
[***]
Title xy
//===========================================================================

If you dont have 'Title' or a * missing the unlocked fmb will not like it. Not a problem in the normal game.
Try using the 'search/irregular entries' option in the universal static ini checker.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.017 seconds with 27 queries.