Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Simpler Mission Editor  (Read 1930 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Simpler Mission Editor
« on: December 10, 2018, 05:22:21 PM »

I just recently got my first Great Battles title, Battle of Kuban.  It's great but I wish the Mission Editor was much more simpler, like our trusty old FMB.
The Mission Editor is WAY too complicated.  It takes too long to figure it out and it takes too long to make a mission.  Two reasons for me to be turned off.  I love making missions and sharing them but with the ME it's putting a damper on my enjoyment. 

This problem results in less missons being made by the community.  With less missions being made by the community, there is less enjoyment and less enthusiasm about the whole Sim, which is unfortunate.  Releasing new gadgets (i.e. planes, tanks, maps, campaigns) is the only way to keep people interested.  But people don't want to play the same ol' missions over and over.  Players will have the "toys" but few missions to play with them.

My only hope is that in the future there will be a more simple way to make missions.  Perhaps turn the ME into something like the FMB ;)

Sorry to be so negative.  Great Battles is GREAT but I am dissatisfied with the ME  :-[

DHumphrey

Re: Simpler Mission Editor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 07:09:01 PM »

I hear you CzechTexan … this is the primary reason I have not bought any of the newer sims as of yet.  I'm hoping there is a tutorial in the future that will explain the mission editor. I would write one but I'm in the process of getting our house ready for sale and moving from Hawaii to New Mexico, so my time is at a premium right now.

Once a tutorial is out there … I'll probably go ahead and spend the money for the new sims, probably all three. :)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 11:01:36 PM »

Let's agree that it's different 8)
There's a great Manual available for the ME here: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/26303-il-2-sturmovik-mission-editor-and-multiplayer-server-manual/

You can't really compare IL-2 Great Battle's Mission Editor (or in short: ME) with IL-2 1946's FMB.
They're two different worlds, following two completely different approaches, designs, structures, mindsets...
I never managed to get my head wrapped around 1946's FMB but I'm quite fluent in GB's ME after having learned to use it for a couple of weeks.
It's not that hard.
There are quite a few community made missions available for IL-2 Great Battles (see https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/111-scripted-campaigns/), and there's even a community built online mission generator (see https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/36002-cooperative-mission-generator/)

I think the current use of ME just seems so little because all the noise created by Luftwhiners over at the il2sturmovik.com forums makes it damn hard to even see anything else.

]cheers[
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:46:46 AM »

Mike, thanks for the reply.  I have been looking at the Manual and YouTube vids.  It just seems like the assignment of commands could be made automatic, or just simpler.

Anyhow, I was not aware of the Online Mission Generator.  It would be nice to have some sort of mission generator for offline single player missions.  I would also like to see more Quick Missions added on to the maps (especially Kuban) if that's even possible.  BOK has been out for over a year and yet there are very few SP missions or campaigns  made for it :(

I posted my whine here because I did not want to be negative on the Great Battles Forum. ;D 
Well, perhaps things will get better with time.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 08:12:30 AM »

I'm not that much into single player with IL-2 Great Battles to be honest, but anyway.
I think the number of Quick Missions is quite fine isn't it?
I mean you can have plenty of places to fly from, and you can have all sorts of missions on each of them.
That QMB thing is a little different from 1946, maybe you missed some of the options there.

Single Player missions are something I rarely ever play.
I've played the initial campaigns that shipped with BoS before they've switched to the new Campaign System, but ever since then, all my flying time is just online except for a very few test QMB sorties.

Officially the devs said they'd focus on Single Player because 95% of the user base is single player only, so in theory there should be plenty of missions and campaigns available, but again I have no insight in that part of the game at the moment.

]cheers[
Mike

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »

And there is the PWCG Patric Wilsons Campaign Generator, wich is updated quite often with new stuff. At the moment is on v5.0.4 updated nov 10.
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 06:03:43 PM »

And there is the PWCG Patric Wilsons Campaign Generator, wich is updated quite often with new stuff. At the moment is on v5.0.4 updated nov 10.
yes!  I just found the PWCG!  It looks very promising!
I found it here if anyone else has not found it yet...
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/18343-this-is-where-we-will-discuss-pwcg-for-bos/
Click on the link in Jason's post for the download.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 10:06:47 PM »

Oh yes, PWCG... always wanted to look into it, but as I said, didn't quite get involved in single player much lately...
Thanks for the link!

]cheers[
Mike

Craven

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2018, 11:42:33 PM »

One of our Wing Walkers members is making online missions with PWCG, we usually fly them twice a month.  If anyone is interested in finding out more drop WWSittingduck either on our forums or over at the Great Battles forum.

The missions are very interesting and it's been a bit of a challenge for Duck to make it all come together very worth it.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 05:03:13 AM »

Online missions from an offline campaign generator?
Given that not even coop missions can be used for dogfight, I'm wondering how much of this really works well.

]cheers[
Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 25 queries.