Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Impact on skill levels on game play  (Read 1031 times)

kozmik

Impact on skill levels on game play
« on: December 04, 2018, 08:41:46 AM »

After 15 years of playing this game and at least 10 yours of building games for my squad, I am starting to question in my old assumptions concerning the impact of skill levels  [Rookie t Ace]

I had assumed that the assignment of Rookie to an AI probably gave him a larger kill or damage area making it easier for me to hit him ; and perhaps had some impact on his ability to maneuver against  me.

After reviewing some recent post as to other folks speculations and their questions about differences in recent modifications to the game [Linebacker] and in view of Musketeer; I now have some questions in respect to AI’s as well as artillery and ships at different skill levels.

1.   Does anyone have definitive, empirical evidence as to the actual impact and/or effect of skill levels on the game objects [ship/AI plane/artillery]?
2.   Anyone got different assumptions?
3.      Is there a better forum in which to address this?

Vampire_pilot

Re: Impact on skill levels on game play
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 09:13:52 AM »

the AI will definitely become sniper accurate. Like, high-G, extreme deflection one-bullet-to-the-head sniper like in some aircraft. The high deflection accuracy is most annoying for me.
It also becomes more versatile in terms of defensive movesets. The likeliness of catching a rookie flying straight for a prolonged time in a battle  zone is much higher than an ace.

Bomber AI and AAA will become sniper accurate as ace.

AI is not touched in BAT, it is what's delievered from the outset. AFAIK there is no AI mod for 4.12.

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2018, 07:19:05 PM »

In 4.12 AI does empirical precoded below stall maneuvers left or right, below stall?,
just look at the white trail from the Wingtips. Combined with soft but constant G-Turns,
you can bet you'll score less than in a DBW Mod version.
This is not Level dependent but the usual coded style. Rookie to Ace.
It reminds of Hartmanns high G-pull for evasion.
They whiggle like Drug freaks on LSD for 30mins, which for me is not a rookie,
who can evade my catch.
In earlier game versions the people complained about corkscrewing to space with AI late war
FMs, this is now reduced to a 50/50 chance, some FMs still corkscrew in über settings as Rookee,
dependent at the Mission height of the Flightpaths, below a certain number FMs are forced down.

To check this yourself start a Stock Eastern Front Campaign(Fighter) in DBW and BAT(4.12...).
Guess what the answer is, what was playable, I could collect aerial Kills, up to 3 per Mission(average),
you'll be lucky to get 1 out of 10 and almost always end up shot up, even in overnumbered
Missions on your side advantage.

Or my DBW Mass Desert Scramble Mission, ending in a 32 vs 32 dogfight between Tomahawks and Friedrichs,
the furball and curving I experience in low level is fantastic and I haven't see in 4.12 again.
The Mission is a Killer Mission, turned out unplayable.

The high deflection recognizing by AI to instantly counteract is game killing and was in earlier versions
Level dependent, now a Rookie can easilly outturn your shots. Does they have Tail radar or 4 eyes?
The overall maneuvers are the exact same as before, it was just tinkered at some what I call corner triggers
that let AI react faster and cut some too soft things in favour for what they call realism is simply harder to beat.
Sorry but this new AI is the outcome of the Stock IL-2 Lovers Guild, that is a minority amongst us and
always housed Forums bashing others over playing not realistical. When they know playing is fantasy dependent.
It's a sado-maso AI, sth. they like.
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 04:56:27 AM »

Exactly that is the fact why I am faithful to my "4.10" until today! Everything that is tinkered with "4.12" looks good, has great advanced possibilities (taxiing) makes in the air but only frustrated.
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 05:16:34 AM »

I had assumed that the assignment of Rookie to an AI probably gave him a larger kill or damage area making it easier for me to hit him

I've more or less same experience of you in this game, but never heard such an assumption nor even a little hint in such sense.

As pointed out by other replies to your post, AI is affected by its level only about its repertoire of defensive maneuvers and offensive marksmanship. There's a marked gap between game versions 4.11 and 4.11.1, this latter introducing the mostly hated "otherworldly markmanship" and some ridiculous, unhistorical and unreal evasive maneuvers like "mad dance" and "fake stall". Nothing more, AFAIK. You may perform a search on the internet about IL-2 damage model as a function of AI level: would be interesting and completely new for me to learn about.

HTH
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 24 queries.