Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A funny quirk with the MissionPro FMB  (Read 1904 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
A funny quirk with the MissionPro FMB
« on: July 22, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »

Sorry, I AM hogging this section right now, but I am familiarizing myself with BAT in all its aspects  8)

I had a annoying problem with the MissonPro FMB today: Briefings that I wrote did not "stick". I wrote a briefing, saved, started the mission - but there was the old version of the briefing  ::( Even if I first saw that the text had been registered in the proper properties file, when I ran the mission it reverted to the old text, in effect overwriting the new version.

The problem disappeared when I shut off the LogFile function.

Just documenting this, in case someone else sees the same thing and wonders what to do about it.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

SpongeBob

Re: A funny quirk with the MissionPro FMB
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 03:21:18 AM »

Hi Poltava,

I think I have experience the same problem sometimes. I have the LogFile function activated, but usually solve the problem in another way:

it seems that if you write text in the briefings and save the mission immediately, sometimes that text doesn't stick, as you mention It seems that the FMB doesn't detect the edited text as a change and therefore it doesn't save it. However, by placing some random object somewhere and removing it AFTER the text is edited, it seems that the FMB is able now to detect that something has really changed and saves everything, including the new text.

I need to check this in detail, but to be sure, after editing a briefing text I always place some new object or clone an existing one, and immediately delete it before saving the mission.

EDIT: I've just tried, and it happened as you described: the new texts in briefings were ignored and reverted to the old versions. I tried what I thought it could solve the problem (locating a new object and deleting it, as described above), but it didn't work. However, I remember that somehow I was able to change the texts in briefings some weeks ago. Finally, I managed to do that, just by exiting the game just after editing and saving the mission. This time, the changes were preserved and when launching the game again, the new texts were there.

It is a bit annoying to have to close the game just to preserve the texts, so I've also tried your fix, and it works!
Thanks for telling.

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 11:22:31 PM »

I completely went to editing outside the game in notepad. That FMB bug is stupid indeed but once geting around it, I had almost forgotten about it.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 03:34:28 AM »

I would like to join this conversation with you if you allow.

Please do, Somasito!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 03:38:12 AM »

It is a bit annoying to have to close the game just to preserve the texts, so I've also tried your fix, and it works!
Thanks for telling.

You are welcome, SpongeBob!  :)

I completely went to editing outside the game in notepad. That FMB bug is stupid indeed but once geting around it, I had almost forgotten about it.

Well, I do a lot of editing outside, because it is faster, and in some cases the only way you could do some changes. But I couldn't possibly be without the FMB altogether!

I wonder, would it be possible that in the next update you have som nifty jsgme-option to switch from the MissionPro FMB back to the old, classic FMB? (And of course back again, when you want the perks that comes with MissionPro.) It would help a lot. :-|

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 05:33:43 AM »

I was only talking about editing briefings of course.

I am afraid I have no idea how this is burried inside BAT. I can't fix it just like that. It's easier to add than to deactivate something.

KevinHoggard

• Missioneer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »

What I have found is when editing briefings, you have to save them, then exit out of the game, restart it and the new briefings are there. It's kind of a PITA but works.

That's why anymore, when making a campaign, I will leave the briefings blank, set up the airfield, then copy that several times. I put the briefings in at the end :)
4th Generation Intel

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 09:44:57 AM »

exit out of the game, restart it and the new briefings are there. It's kind of a PITA but works.

try a notepad text editor. So much easier and less time consuming.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 11:43:43 AM »

exit out of the game, restart it and the new briefings are there. It's kind of a PITA but works.

try a notepad text editor. So much easier and less time consuming.

Or you could try switching off the LogFile function ...  :)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »

you mean

LOG=0

?

SpongeBob

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2018, 01:36:36 PM »

Exactly Vampire_pilot,
yesterday I tried Poltava's trick: inside conf.ini, just replace LOG=1 by LOG=0 under [console] section, and you can edit texts inside FMB without losing them.

In fact, instead replacing the LOG command, I deactivate it by writing:

//LOG=1 --- It activates LogFile function, but it doesn't permit to edit texts in FMB
LOG=0

Thus I can keep track of changes made in conf.ini

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 25 queries.