Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Kyushu by Whitecat 4.0  (Read 18343 times)

Hans-Joachim Marseille

Re: Kyushu by Whitecat 4.0
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2018, 05:51:17 AM »

Thx!  And confirmed working in DBW.  8)
"United we stand against Evil." #FCKPTN. #SlavaUkraini

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2018, 06:30:54 AM »

Hahahaha that volcanic spring is my little 'Easter Egg' in Kyushu :D

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2018, 12:49:12 PM »

That makes it Easter Island !    o_O           .. I was not even sure it existed !  ( "Fictional volcanic acid springs" ).
So I started to overfly all the volcanoes and became kind of puzzled ! Patience runs it's course. 8)
I think the idea is superb cause it gives an impressive insentive to explore.
( At first I wrote  "..started to overflow all the volcanoes..." ; think that was not the proper term to use. )

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2018, 01:34:45 PM »

Hahahah ;-) I can't recall, I think I took it from an aerial view of Yellowstone, USA. But I think there are some similar ones, but maybe in other Japanese islands. And I definitely saw something quite close in New Zealand's North Island, and Iceland too (I am a big traveler and I love volcanoes if you didn't notice yet :) )
If one day I continue with this I will put more details :) I am incredibly busy right now with real life :(

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2019, 07:05:56 PM »

I just read that there were about 45 airfields on Kyushu which were targets for U.S. air strikes.
I looked at the Setouchi map and found several on the eastern coast - these fields are not on the Kyushu map, which is a pity.

I'm thinking about adding those airfields to the Whitecat Kyushu map, if that's OK.
Unless, this is already being done?

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2019, 08:55:29 PM »

Go ahead, CzechTexan. I didn't touch the layer of airfields / objects, only the retexturing and the terrain for the volcanoes. I started thinking in a better solution for the cities but I got more workload in real life so I retired from modding (at least in the forseeable future) :)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 06:57:09 AM »

I understand.  I got more busy too.  But, since I got your retextured map, I've been tinkering with the idea of carrier strikes on Kyushu.  However, the Kyushu map has very few airfields and NONE on the eastern coast.  It seems the original map maker neglected the whole eastern side of the island.  There are also very few city names! 

This map can definitely be improved.  Last night I imported the airfields from the Setouchi map and re-touched textures for them.  It only took about an hour.  A couple of the fields have a huge square area of "ground parking plates" which could probably be replaced with blank plates.  I'll see what I can do about that.

Also, I noticed the map seems to not have any roads.  I'll try to fix that too...I need ground targets :)

As for the city textures... the Setouchi and Kanto maps (and even the Okinawa map) have darker city textures.  I also really like vpmedia's Berlin city texture for a dark look but it's probably not dark enough.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 08:14:32 AM »

Just noticed that your Load file has "whc transparent roads."  Respectfully, what is the purpose of that?  If it's to have no roads then I'll respect your map wishes.  (Although I'd rather see roads).

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2019, 09:17:17 AM »

One of the most immersion killers of IL2 are the zig-zagey roads. Not finding a good solution I just killed them. In a map like this most of the stuff happens high altitude and the 'ground attacks' were over cities no roads. For the cities textures, the problem is that when they get destroyed, the houses are too black and that kills immersion too if the texture is too light, because they popup suddenly. So either the cities must have a much darker texture, or somebody find a solution for better long-distance object popup :)

WhiteCat

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2019, 09:19:38 AM »

Or the houses get less black when destroyed, that would be actually the best solution, editing the object textures. They get ridiculously black, they should be more reddish-grey, rubble like

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2019, 12:58:52 PM »

Found a map of airfield locations in Kyushu
http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/FAA-Bases/Images/Plans/Iwakuni%20Map1.jpg
I'll search the locations for any photos and exact locations.

Found a wealth of airfield photos here:  https://repository.erc.monash.edu/items/show/27294#?c=0&m=0&s=0&cv=0&xywh=-766%2C-2%2C6793%2C3918
Use the "search" on the website.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2019, 09:35:31 PM »

Tomitaka airfield

Tomitaka is mid-way down the eastern coast of Kyushu.  After some digging, I found an aerial photo of it and built my version of it on Whitecat's Kyushu map.  The concrete areas are for aircraft carrier training.

There are many other airfields to build. 
Are there any airfield-builders who'd like to help build these airfields?
Here's an 89.6mb zip file of airfield photos I found...
https://www.mediafire.com/file/vrt8qe6i5o7zoia/Kyushu+airfields.zip

I've also added many new names to the text file of this map.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 27 queries.