Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: 3.01 Might be released the 14th.  (Read 6459 times)

Taxman

3.01 Might be released the 14th.
« on: March 13, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »

Starting the 14th @ 9:00gmt for a couple of hours the main server will be down for maintenance in preparation for the release of 3.01.  It's close ;D

Taxman

Re: 3.01 Might be released the 14th.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 09:29:59 PM »

Ops that should be 3.001 it was the wine I had with dinner :D

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:28 PM »

Yes it's very likely that today will be the day.
Battle of Kuban Early Access 10$ off ended yesterday and today's main server maintenance from 9AM to 1PM has been officially announced for the 3.001 update, therefore from 1PM onwards we can probably expect our clients to update to 3.001, which means that Battle of Kuban has been finished and we get the P-39, A-20 etc. - finally!
Furthermore, the other parts (BoS, BoM) get some refreshments too, most notably the complete overhaul of the Stalingrad map.
This will be an interesting day.

Cheers!
Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:04:23 AM »

It's there:
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/34628-game-version-3001-discussion-final-release-of-the-battle-of-kuban/

2.7GB and the Servers seem to be overloaded as expected 8)

Cheers!
Mike

Taxman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:07:41 PM »

Great, another 3 and half hrs of work then a half hr drive home,  PDT.  Tried calling my partner to start the update but she could not find the right short cut on the desk top.   o_O

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 02:15:53 PM »

Alright chaps, time to vent a little here as this is likely not welcome over at il2sturmovik forums.
This is the worst software update I've seen for years.
Sure, the new planes look great, as do the new 4K skins. And the scenery got more "bloomy". But there it start's already...

The world looks like technicolor, except for that in movies you rarely just see steppe.
Here you do.
Stalingrad map: Dusty, lots of forest, endless rows of trees - that's what it was before.
Now: Technicolor, but empty. Nearly no forest at all (one or two on the whole map). Tree rows? At most 10% of what you've had before.
When you've set up a mission where car columns were supposed to hide behind trees when being attacked, you will now find them exposed on naked roads in the middle of nowhere.
Looks scheisse, sorry to say.

But the biggest Scheisse is Multiplayer Server hosting.
Everything is Scheisse there now.
You can't open your missions in the Mission Editor anymore, you have to rework them.
If you're lucky the Mission Editor can "resave" your missions and will load them afterwards. If not, you have to manually edit them, but there's no documentation about the necessary changes.
But even if "resave" works, you have no idea which changes have been applied.
Things just vanish.
Things don't act like before.
Things change and you have no idea, and this on this overcomplicated Mission Editor where a standard mission has a few thousand objects to check for, each with "properties", "advanced properties", "events", "reports", "targets" and "object links", which all take you to submenues of submenues of submenues you have to check for each and every object, just because of these fucking undocumented changes. Scheisse!
And to make matters worse, when you finally managed to get your mission cramped up on the server again, you notice that the difficulty settings on your server reset themselves on saving. Woot? Really. You choose your difficulty settings, save them, and they're gone. Scheisse.
And if you happen to have "locked" loadouts and plane mods, which is necessary to define which loadouts are available and which aren't, then you'll find that randomly sometimes you will have all loadouts for a plane to choose from, whether or not that was intended so (25% chance), or you have nothing to choose from at all (75% chance), even if every loadout was enabled on that plane and base. Scheissen-Scheisse!

Still not enough of a mess?
Here you go: A mission with just 8 AI bombers on it (4 blue, 4 red) previously caused a server load of ~15%. That's a lot compared to IL-2 1946, but that's what it is. No massive big missions in IL-2 Great Battles. But that was version 2.012. Now comes 3.001:
Same mission with the same 8 AI bombes, CPU load is... tada!... 75-85%! Really! At the edge of crashing. From 8 bombers. Go figure!
Beschissene Scheisse!

Sorry for the rant.
Ah no, not sorry. Simply had to get that off my chest.
What a scheisse Update.

Cheers!
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 05:05:16 PM »

I like your eloquence ("besch... Sch....). :D Still, take it easy. Just a game.
My list so far:
- No atmosphere, unless you tune down visibility to 70 or 40 km.
- Kuban map, landscape is blinking when mid-range.
- Earlier tracks cannot be loaded.
- Map not centered, zooming out is over-sensitive, losing focus.
- A-20 AI, against fighters, foolishly likes to play the energy game (chandelles, Immelmanns, even tries to outturn the enemy).
It's a beta, Han alluded to it. Let's help them to debug. Will be fine by July.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »

Sure thing sniperton, it's a game and it's a .0 version, so issues were to be expected.
Nevertheless, the amount of issues and the impact on the playability of the game is so massive that it's hard to believe that all of this should have slipped through in the alpha testing stage.
I mean: Just read two new pages of the release thread and 20 people are complaining that their FPS has been cut to half, some have it cut by 90%. A player with an ASUS Strix 1080 Ti + Core i7-8700K has to tone down the settings to reach stutter-free gameplay with solid 60 FPS @FullHD in campaign mode? Come on...
The loadout/weaponmod limitations bug has meanwhile "implicitely" been confirmed by coconut. How could that have been overseen?
Same for the difficulty settings on DServer. Even the pre-set modes are not working correctly, e.g. on "Expert" mode you see your plane icon on the map. Not seen in Alpha test? Heck... do the testers all play on easy settings? Or has this update never been run on a dedicated server at all?
I'm afraid it's the latter, because if it was, they surely would have stumbled upon the fact that now with the latest update, all servers featuring AI planes and not just the russian standard "gangbang for all" close-in dogfight PvP style, have essentially fetched their coup de grĂ¢ce.

No sorry, as much as I like to help them debugging things, as little do I understand how and why such a pile of shit could ever make it through any stage of testing.

Cheers!
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 05:52:13 AM »

When was the last update? August? September? I think it was a bad decision not to release new content and features one by one. 3.001 followed right after 2.012d, while the complexity of the update would have made reasonable to have three or four interim releases at least, so that each new feature could be tested and debugged individually. I'm just a hobby coder, but for me it's obvious that the 'healthy' development cycle is implement, debug, implement, debug, and not implement, implement, debug, debug.
Although I haven't had any FPS issues in SP (budget PC @ 1920x1080 with settings already tuned down), something is obviously wrong with graphics optimization. If I switch from game view to the briefing map (i.e. from 3D to 2D), there's a significant delay and I can actually see how the 2D layers are put together. It was not the case before.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 05:57:55 AM »

Correct, issues with turning on the map, HUD etc. have been reported by many users.
Campaign issues seem to be quite common as well, as are massive stutters and general usability issues for VR users.

I've officially reported the excessive CPU usage on dedicated servers when AI planes are on the map, however the only thing you get back from the brainless users of the il2sturmovik.com forum are posts like this:
If the mission is correctly set up, there is no issue. 3% CPU here with a map using AI (trucks, katyushas, trains, AAA) and 8% for our worst one.
(Note: I was talking about AI planes).

The devs really messed it up and the cheering crowd doesn't make things better.
I think I'll take a hiatus from IL-2 GB until the dust has settled and better get back to 1946 again in the meantime.
Here at least we hold the keys in our hands and if something gets messed up, the only ones to blame it on is ourselves :P

Cheers!
Mike

sniperton

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 06:37:08 AM »

Yep, that fanboyism goes on my nerves. Most people use the forum as a substitute for Facebook (in Hungarian also pronounced as 'Faszbuk' derived from 'prick'). Not a big help for the devs.
Pity that we can't have 2.012 until 3.00x gets properly ironed out.

LuseKofte

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 09:35:51 AM »

My biggest disapointment was the lack of bombardier cockpit in the A 20, rendering Old IL 2 better in absolutely every way. I like that one better for internal view
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 29 queries.