Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm gonna say it: The IL-2 mod Fokker and Pfalz wing warpers are Ubered.  (Read 2431 times)

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder

I know the original FM for the Eindekker was a shambles, but in whomever's quest to boost that planes performance, it's gone past what should have been sane.  Wing warpng monoplanes, ( and biplanes..) have sluggish roll control, that gets worse with approach to maximum velocity.  They also exhibit a lot of adverse yaw/drag when the control is thrown side to side.

Anyone flying in either BAT DOF or DBW 1916 notice when you get on the tail of a Fokker or Pfalz they suddenly are rolling and wobbling like one third the wing area is aileron?  And I also think they climb too fast.  The early EI's, both Fokker and Pfalz were powered by the 80 horsepower Oberusal and the old  Fokker EIII FM would have been a good base for that plane with more wing AoA, and the CG shifted a few tenths of a meter rearwards.

Mission_bug

• Modder

The game was never intended for the types of aircraft we have for WWI, so how are we supposed to reflect wing warping
in the FM for such a game?

I cannot speak for others but any FM I have made for the models Gio made was always a placeholder using what was done before and was intended to give the type its own named FM rather than be a realistic representation of the real aircraft, most of the WWI types actually also fly too fast as well, the intention was always to get things into the game in the hope someone with the necessary expertise could then work their magic, sadly it never happened.

The game most of your models were made for was done to represent that period, this was not, that is how it is.

There are the tools in the relevant areas, I already gave you the links, please put these things right if you can, make everybody happy and become the new hero of that genre.

Kant and Dreamk are probably the two in resent times who have come the closest to making the FMs of that period a reality, kant as with others are long gone now and there are not many who actually work on the period, again as it is, at least we do have some of those aircraft represented in some way even if not up to the expectations of those who know and love the period.

For the record, WWI is not a period I am particularly interested in, I just try to add what I can for those who do, sadly anything I do is far from perfect.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS

There's also the issue of some ww1 flight models not really working well with the (ww2) AI, which often results in low level crashes. I'm not even sure where the cause of this problem comes from.

Unca-Fester

• Modder

The game was never intended for the types of aircraft we have for WWI, so how are we supposed to reflect wing warping
in the FM for such a game?

I cannot speak for others but any FM I have made for the models Gio made was always a placeholder using what was done before and was intended to give the type its own named FM rather than be a realistic representation of the real aircraft, most of the WWI types actually also fly too fast as well, the intention was always to get things into the game in the hope someone with the necessary expertise could then work their magic, sadly it never happened.

The game most of your models were made for was done to represent that period, this was not, that is how it is.

There are the tools in the relevant areas, I already gave you the links, please put these things right if you can, make everybody happy and become the new hero of that genre.

Kant and Dreamk are probably the two in resent times who have come the closest to making the FMs of that period a reality, kant as with others are long gone now and there are not many who actually work on the period, again as it is, at least we do have some of those aircraft represented in some way even if not up to the expectations of those who know and love the period.

For the record, WWI is not a period I am particularly interested in, I just try to add what I can for those who do, sadly anything I do is far from perfect.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Well I'm willing to take the plunge into playing with the FM on these and other IL-2 modded WWI planes.   I've downloaded the FM parser NTRK.5, once I get the hang of how to use it, I would love to apply my, albeit, somewhat opinionated expertise into making these fly better.

The problem I notice about the ground crashing is once an airplane that's under attack, ground wrecks but isn't destroyed, every opposing team aircraft nearby will turn towards it and try strafing it, usually ending up not pulling out in time from the strafing dive and crashing themselves.  This I've noticed on flat ground, not to mention hillside crashing.

Unca-Fester

• Modder

To those FM developers I may have denigrated with my initial comment, I'm here to eat some public crow.

As a FM developer myself for FlightGear and a couple other sims, I will project what I think will work in my field of experience, into another sim that I assumed works in a similar fashion.  After reading the NTRACKWizard thread I can only come to the conclusion I really don't understand much about the Il-2 FM yet.

After a few days of some checking this out more, I've also come to the realization that the performance of the AI aircraft are not always the flight performance of the player flown planes.  It's startling to me to have the IL-2 Eindekker doing 120 degree + per second roll reversals in evasion maneuvers, and also abruptly climbing from level and not immediately losing headway.   Yet while piloting the EIII having it pilot very leisurely about it's roll response and climb performance.

The Eindekker in Il-2 is a terror when encountered piloting anything as sedentary as the DH-2, which in any other sim should have an advantage, but reverse the roles and suddenly the DH-2 is blessed with an edge in climb and roll it never had while under joystick.  Maybe I'm flying them wrong,  I don't know.  I've been flying WWI sims since RedBaron3D came out and VooDoo 3DFX video cards were the hot ticket.   :-[

This will take further study.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 27 queries.