Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone running B.A.T. on Linux?  (Read 15741 times)

.-083

Anyone running B.A.T. on Linux?
« on: June 22, 2017, 10:51:41 PM »

I was wondering if someone here played B.A.T. on Linux

IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 updated to 4.12.2m runs perfect under Wine, but if I install B.A.T. I get a ton of errors and Dawn of Flight crashes at 30%

That same B.A.T. install (fresh and fully updated) runs great under Windows 7, it's only under Wine that it crashes

This is the wine log: http://pastebin.com/LHMbwZrD

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Anyone running B.A.T. on Linux?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 11:41:34 PM »

The only thing that could play tricks on you is that the linux filesystem is case sensitive.
Your log shows a lot of errors like this:
Code: [Select]
Problem in spawn: com.maddox.il2.objects.vehicles.planes.Plane$<some aircraft classname here>
Plane: Parameter [<some aircraft classname here>]:<Class> not found
And that's odd to say the least, because also stock aircraft are listed there.

Are you sure that the very same BAT instance runs fine on windows?
I mean... could you try a BAT game on Windows and then mount that windows drive in Linux and try the wine start on that one?

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

.-083

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:02:26 AM »

Hello Mike, thank you very much for your reply

Yes, the very same B.A.T. instance runs fine under windows... In fact, I did the whole install process on Windows 7 to avoid problems with files failing to be replaced due to Linux being case sensitive... I tried to play from that same installation under Wine and well, it just crashes

I've had some very minor problems in windows (related to single missions and pilot careers, made another thread about that, in this same subforum), but the game starts fine and I have been playing with QMB for hours

In fact, after the Wine testing, I restarted my notebook and booted again into Windows 7 to be able to play the game and, as expected, it worked fine

Plus, before installing B.A.T., when the game was stock updated to 4.12.2m, I rebooted into my Linux system to test the game under wine and it was working then, QMB worked fine, so the compatibility problems was introduced by B.A.T...

If someone can think of some kind of workaround to get it running under Wine, I'm all ears

P.S.: I made another install of IL-2 1946 and put D.B.W. 1.71 on it. This one works fine under Wine, so at least we linux users can play that (D.B.W. will give a lot of errors similar to the ones found in the B.A.T. log, but for some reason it loads up to 100% anyways and QMB also works fine, tested flying a GO-229 and shooting down a B-29 loaded with Fat Man). Here is the D.B.W. log if anyone is interested in comparisons (log of loading the game under wine, seeing menu and then exiting using the "Quit" button): http://pastebin.com/BufkAtx9

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 01:56:56 AM »

when the game was stock updated to 4.12.2m, I rebooted into my Linux system to test the game under wine and it was working then, QMB worked fine, so the compatibility problems was introduced by B.A.T...
I made another install of IL-2 1946 and put D.B.W. 1.71 on it. This one works fine under Wine

Hi .-083

have you tried with both BATDLLS-01 and BATDLLS-02 ?

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53691.0.html

Give it also a try with the SAS ModAct 5.30 DLLs posted here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,54865.0.html

If that doesn't work, and if you have the time (and the will), I would:

Try running a clean B.A.T. 1.0 without any expansion. If the problem persists, then we have narrowed down the issue to a 'simpler' install.

Try installing C.U.P.! this will confirm whether the issue you are experiencing was introduced in B.A.T or was already there before...
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

.-083

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 02:14:35 PM »

Hi whistler

Thank you for your suggestions

I just tried to run stock B.A.T. with no E.Ps and it crashed at 30% just like the fully updated B.A.T.

Here is the log: https://pastebin.com/mAbmaYRP

Then I tried the different sets of DLLs, Nro. 2 and also stock ModAct 5.30 ones... (I was already using Nro. 01), but it jut keeps crashing at the same point

I'll download latest C.U.P. later and see if it works... Although, stock B.A.T. isn't just latest C.U.P. but repacked? It even says C.U.P. in the loading screens

whistler

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 02:04:51 AM »

Then I tried the different sets of DLLs, Nro. 2 and also stock ModAct 5.30 ones... (I was already using Nro. 01), but it jut keeps crashing at the same point
Sorry to hear that pal, I do not know how to troubleshoot this further... 4.12.2 works and a modded install such as UP3 works but B.A.T. doesnt... not a clue.
NG-HUD v3.6.1 | NG-MAP v3.2 | NG-CAM v2.0 | NG-PAL v1.2: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/board,93.0.html

saab ja26

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 08:19:29 AM »

I tested an install on Linux Mint 18 before I switched back to Windows 10. What I found is that on Linux IL2 will run fine up to VPMod with no issues using either 'Play on Linux' or 'Wine'.
However, Il2 Modded versions such as CUP or BAT where you need to use the Selector to load different periods such as DOF or WAW ect will not work. I was able to get BAT loaded but
the Selector would only load DOF. When I would select WAW, TGA, Jet War the game would crash @ 30%. None files were corrupted.  I tested the same exact install  by copying it to to an external drive and running it under Windows 10 and it ran just fine. The IL2 Selector will not work properly in Linux/Wine to load the other periods in BAT.
Ryzen 5 2600/Wraith Prism, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte B450 Ds3h RGB, 8gb Radeon RX 580 4TB HDD

.-083

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 02:48:30 PM »

Sorry to hear that pal, I do not know how to troubleshoot this further... 4.12.2 works and a modded install such as UP3 works but B.A.T. doesnt... not a clue.

Don't worry, and thank you very much for your help :) Just hope eventually other linux users (with more knowledge) will work on a patch for wine or something to get B.A.T. up and running

I tested an install on Linux Mint 18 before I switched back to Windows 10. What I found is that on Linux IL2 will run fine up to VPMod with no issues using either 'Play on Linux' or 'Wine'.
However, Il2 Modded versions such as CUP or BAT where you need to use the Selector to load different periods such as DOF or WAW ect will not work. I was able to get BAT loaded but
the Selector would only load DOF. When I would select WAW, TGA, Jet War the game would crash @ 30%. None files were corrupted.  I tested the same exact install  by copying it to to an external drive and running it under Windows 10 and it ran just fine. The IL2 Selector will not work properly in Linux/Wine to load the other periods in BAT.

The strange thing is DBW 1.71 also has a selector and it works perfectly...

How did you manage to get DoF loaded? It always crashes for me. DoF and TGA are my favourite ages, so I'd be great if I could at least play one of them in Linux (I'm using MX-Linux 16.1, a Debian derivate)

What wine version do you use?

.-083

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2017, 04:23:12 PM »

I found the problem: it is related to the INI files in /#DOF2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/, /#TGA2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/, /#WAW2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/ and /#JTW2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/ folders.

If you move/delete all these INI files, all ages will now load without problems... But obviously you won't have any of the B.A.T. planes, statics, etc. because you moved/deleted the INI files

I'm comparing the contents of (B.A.T. E.P. #12) /#DOF2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/air.ini with the ones of (D.B.W. 1.71) #DBW/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/air.ini, trying to figure out why the INI file from D.B.W. loads fine but the INI from B.A.T. doesn't... But I don't think I'll be able to

D.B.W. air.ini = https://pastebin.com/DY30K7Sr
B.A.T #DOF air.ini = https://pastebin.com/NNRSfNHc

saab ja26

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »

@ .-083 ~ I was using Linux Mint 18 (latest version) and the latest stable wine release (2.01).
All I did was install BAT normally per the instructions. I was able to download the torrent file. Downloading the files individually runs the risk of getting corrupted downloads. I happened to choose on the selector DOF and it worked. But when I used
the selector to run WAW, TGA, or Jet Age my game would crash usually with a 30%CTD. I thought it was an issue
with the program I used to unzip the files so I tried several but to no avail. I usually have everything loaded on my
2TB external drive. I ran the same game under Windows 10 and everything ran just fine no CTD's what so ever. My Hunch is that when trying to use Wine and the IL2 selector to select the other ages (TGA WAW ect) the files aren't getting loaded completely. I haven't figured out exactly what is happening. I tried different configurations with Wine but I still had the same issue.

Ryzen 5 2600/Wraith Prism, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte B450 Ds3h RGB, 8gb Radeon RX 580 4TB HDD

.-083

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2017, 07:24:16 PM »

Well, you 're lucky, I never could get any of the ages to load, not even DoF...

All the selector does is modifying values in il2fb.ini so when you click il2b.exe it launches the desired module... (in my case) It only works if you select Stock Game or SAS MODACT 5.3

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 12:48:22 AM »

All the selector does is modifying values in il2fb.ini so when you click il2b.exe it launches the desired module... (in my case) It only works if you select Stock Game or SAS MODACT 5.3
Nearly right ;)
The "IL2 Selector.exe" is just a tool to set values in il2fb.ini.
The il2fb.exe which ships with the Selector, together with dinput.dll, loads these values, selects the corresponding module (i.e. mod folder) and applies memory settings to the Java Virtual Machine.
At the time when you see the IL-2 Splashscreen or main window, the Selector's job is done and all errors "behind" that point are not related to the selector anymore.
A 30% CTD is a stationary thing, it's the stationary.ini and rockets.ini being parsed between 30% and 35%.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 26 queries.