Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Westland Lysander 1 WIP June 2017.  (Read 35222 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Westland Lysander 1 WIP June 2017.
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2020, 03:58:42 AM »

Hello guys, I finally got around to doing some surgery on the wheel spats, been meaning to try this for a while now. ;)

been at it now for a week or so and continue to find issues, however, this is things so far:

As you can see the interior is bare.

After doing a Boolean cut to remove the side covers there were some issues to put right to
block a few holes, this itself meant a need to eventually re-map most of the mesh to sort
out some issues but to be honest they look better than I thought they might following such
a major carving up. :D

I have a folder now set above the existing one in both my 4.12 ModAct 5.30 install and in
my BAT game as well and each shows instead of the previous closed spats:

I even got around to making some of the Finnish skins I have planned for like years, only three coded
early scheme so far as I began tinkering with the spats:

So, the but, yes there is always one it seems, the real spats are boxed in to hide the guns and all the associated
equipment that is stuffed in there for real life purposes, however, to realise that and add a few adornments to the
rather sparse undercarriage will need additional meshes making and mapping to the existing textures which will
then require a re-paint of all the ones I already made for the original pack to include the added parts. :P

Are any of you interested in this modification?

Any thoughts please would be welcome as to whether they actually add anything and are therefore worth all the necessary
work to complete things, or even are you happy to just have them available as they are?

Take care and be safe.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

oldschoolie

« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2020, 04:44:54 AM »

It would be great just to have the exposed wheels. Brilliant ideas, thank you!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »

It would be great just to have the exposed wheels. Brilliant ideas, thank you!

Okay then, I will run with it oldschoolie and see where it goes. ;)

It is one of those things, if you make a start and then leave it to one side it just torments your mind until
you pick it up again and finish it. :D

So here we are, the well has been blanked off and work on the mud scraper begun:

The scraper is a piece of bent steel with holes, not the best thing to replicate but a few Boolean
cuts and a deforming tool later we have something even if it does look a little rough around the
edges and everywhere else.

I could of used alpha cut holes if it had a separate texture, however, the idea is to attach it to
the existing spat mesh.

There are a few support rods here and there to do yet and then I will map it and see how it looks.

Take care and be safe.

Dreamk

• Modder
« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2020, 12:48:40 AM »

Exposed wheel spats and Finnish versions are definitively a  must!  waiting for that! Thanks!

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2020, 02:03:40 AM »

I agree! Go for it!  :D :D :D
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2020, 03:41:28 AM »

Hello again guys, yes I tend to agree it is a must to have the open spats as most photographs seem to show
aircraft without, particularly where mud is a major issue so I will press on. ;)

So, this is as best I can determine from the photographs I have of wartime aircraft, most preserved
examples are without the scrapers and do not necessarily have the rods supports:

The strengthening bars only seem to be on the inner side of the spat, from what I can see
the scraper goes all around but I cannot actually see if it attaches anywhere other than the
wheel centres but I might put a rod leading back into the spat.

Now the difficulty, finding space on the skin and then adding that mapping to all the defaults
and others I already uploaded.  I found a few areas on the top of the special ops version that
required some adjustment of the paint as it was not quite on the mapping so who knows what
I will find to correct as I go through things again, could be a long job. :D

Take care and be safe.

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »

Hello Pete, the option of uncovered wheels looks cool 8), I'm glad you still find time for this airplane, for me every improvement of this airplane means more joy of flying, so if you still find anything to improve in it, I will support you :).

Best Regards,
Piotrek

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2020, 02:41:21 PM »

Hello Pete, the option of uncovered wheels looks cool 8), I'm glad you still find time for this airplane, for me every improvement of this airplane means more joy of flying, so if you still find anything to improve in it, I will support you :).

Best Regards,
Piotrek

Glad you like the changes Piotrek, it is always more difficult to add further detail to what was supposed to be a finished model, however, there are those who say these things are never really complete so I guess on it goes. ;)

Here we are, the mapping done and waiting for the texture to be updated with the colours:

The shape of the spats was never the best piece of geometry and cutting into that hasnot helped, however, here we
have something at least:

Into the game:

The idea now is to update the textures I already uploaded originally with the paint changes for
the new detail and then I need to make new defaults accordingly.

I will upload a complete new folder that will replace the original but that now includes the various fixes
kindly provided by others but will leave the existing spats as they are in the closed up mesh you have now.

A separate folder that can be loaded above that in your mod folder that just includes the new spats will
also be in the upload so you can test and then decide if you want the changed spats as a permanent change
or not, of course that separate folder can be added to the BAT WAW folder so you can enable the changes in
there as well.

You will be able to just use that folder to change between the two types if you do not want a permanent change or
to mess around in the main folder.

I suppose it will also be necessary for that separate folder to include the new defaults as well so that BAT users
are ready to go, obviously you will be able to alter things to your own liking in a personal install, however, any
permanent alterations in BAT will be up to Andy and the rest of the team.

There are no java changes so each of you should have no problems in whichever type of install you use, at least
that is the cunning plan so I hope things will be that way without issues. :D

Take care and be safe.

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2020, 03:21:51 PM »

Pete, your plans sound very interesting 8), I forgot to write in the previous post; I really liked the idea with skis, usually in the quick mission editor I set missions with summer camouflage so I don't remember :-[ if "my" Lysander also has skis, would this option be available too?

Best regards,
Piotrek

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »

Hello Piotrek1, if you set the Lysander on a winter map the ski undercarriage will appear instead of wheels, however, that map must have winter set in the map load file so just because you see a winter scene does not necessarily mean the skis will appear as the map has to be set correctly in its folder. ;)

Take care and be safe.

Piotrek1

• SAS IL BYTES BACK
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2020, 04:11:00 PM »

Hello Pete, Thank you for the clarification 8), I wasn't sure so please forgive me confusion :-[.

Best Regards,
Piotrek

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2020, 07:52:20 PM »

Nice job with the wheel covers and mud scrapers!  Now, we need a MUD MOD haha!  ;D
I plan on doing Burma '42 campaign with this Lysander.  Maybe with the Indian Air Force.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 26 queries.