Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 7.62mm ShKAS machine gun sounds  (Read 1811 times)

Captain Dawson

7.62mm ShKAS machine gun sounds
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »

Hello chaps,

I'm getting tired of the 7.62mm ShKAS machine gun sounds. Anyone who has heard a machine gun knows they don't sound like they do in stock IL-2. There's not a whole lot of difference in BAT or VP, with Victor's sound mod or Tiger's sound mod. I mean no offense to the mod creators, but the modpacks just don't seem to do the ShKAS justice.

Now listen to them in this video by Steven:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR5tVpzF6Og
Totally different, right? This is how I would prefer they sound. Description says this is in CUP, but obviously he has at least one other mod added in since these sounds are not in stock BAT (or CUP I think). I think this sound would be a great addition to Victor's sound mod, *hint hint* but in the meantime...

Obviously this is a mod, but I can't find it anywhere! Does anyone know what mod this is and where I can find it?

Thanks
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

Dimlee

Re: 7.62mm ShKAS machine gun sounds
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:15:00 PM »

Steven should be somewhere on this forum, I guess.

I wonder how real ShKAS sounded. Didn't manage to find any records so far.

jpten

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 09:24:17 PM »

All machine guns near you sound the same after the first ten rounds.  Like a dull hammer blow through a loud high pitched ringing noise that lasts for about four hours.
   If you want a realistic sound would not it be the sound of the guns muffled by your flying helmet and earphones, amid the drone/roar/whine of your engine/engines after the sound waves tried to reach you through air moving at several hundred knots?
   Most fighter pilot stories I have heard mention the 'feel' of the guns firing more than the sound.  I flew in helos with door guns firing and it always sounded like they a mile away when it was only a few feet.

Fly!

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 10:48:42 PM »

possibly like this (1800rpm!)...https://www.mediafire.com/?iv1mq0fo2694yxo

Dimlee

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 06:02:13 AM »

If you want a realistic sound would not it be the sound of the guns muffled by your flying helmet and earphones, amid the drone/roar/whine of your engine/engines after the sound waves tried to reach you through air moving at several hundred knots?

My thoughts exactly.
Yet I'm afraid we can open old can of worms "what is realistic what is not in IL2"...

Captain Dawson

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2017, 09:18:15 AM »

Good point. But remember, I'm talking about an I-16 as an example here. (as in the video) Canopy open, probably no earphones, and definitely not a whiny engine. In a helo, I can see how a light caliber weapon could be drowned out to a dull thud by the helo engine.

My thoughts exactly.
Yet I'm afraid we can open old can of worms "what is realistic what is not in IL2"...

Well of course, I don't know what a ShKAS sounded like in real life. My personal opinion is just that it lacks the thud in the stock mg sounds. For me it is a question of how we can make IL-2 better, not simply opening a "can of worms" just for the heck of it.  ;)

I'm not a sound modder, I dont know how to make a sample more impressive but I know what you want. Trouble is that I dont really have access to any sound library from other games and the available sound mods have "weak" sounding samples for the guns. I noticed that larger samples above 150Kb sound lot better, the great UV3 flyby sounds are 400-500Kb. The sound in the video (at 8:12 for example) is quite distorted, this is what's happening:

I have noticed they sound quite a bit better in your VP Modpack with UV3 enabled.  :)

Does anyone have an idea of where I can find that mg sound mod though? Maybe I'll just PM Stephen if he doesn't see this.
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

steven197106

• Observer
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »

I Think I was using at the time 69th sound mod, http://forum.69thvirtualfightergroup.com/viewtopic.php?t=2739&f=15
i7-5820k CPU 3.30gHZ, 16 GB ram, RTX 2080 Graphic card, 49" CHG90 QLED Gaming Monitor, VKB- T-Rudders Mk.III pedals, VPC MongoosT-50 Flightstick with VPC Desk Mount, VPC Extensions Set with a thrustmaster warthog grip on the stick, saitek TPM System, thrustmaster warthog throttle,

Captain Dawson

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 02:14:03 PM »

I Think I was using at the time 69th sound mod, http://forum.69thvirtualfightergroup.com/viewtopic.php?t=2739&f=15

Thank you Steven! I figured you would be the only one to know the answer to my question, since you made the video.  8)

I like your videos by the way! They're often the first I hear of new aircraft mods. Keep up the good work!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.