Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot get B.A.T Modules to load from Win10/64 bootable partition  (Read 1516 times)

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: Cannot get B.A.T Modules to load
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:04 AM »

hi Garethster, maybe i missed it, but i didn't see you mention anything about where you have installed Il2.
specifically, if it's installed inside Program Files, you should expect many issues.
i'm still on Win 7, so can't be too specific about 10's functionality, but that would be my first guess here - that your game is installed in a place where there are permissions issues?
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Garethster

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 02:06:27 AM »

Hi SAS~Malone, I've always done my installs off the root of my PC's E:\ drive, specifically to avoid permissions conflicts. Have been following SAS 1946 for years and been through all of the iterations of SAS Mods, Dark Blue World, C.U.P etc., and never encountered these type of issues before. The thing that is really confusing me is why I can copy the entire IL2 folder to another Windows 10/64 PC and everything works fine. As you mentioned it almost looks like a permissions issue. Perhaps I'll delve into that a bit further...

Thanks for the feedback  :)

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 02:33:11 PM »

Out of curiosity, have you disabled the UAC in the "faulty" computer?
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

Garethster

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 05:26:25 PM »

Out of curiosity, have you disabled the UAC in the "faulty" computer?

Yes, I have disabled UAC via the registry, but it made no difference. I'm curious if anyone else is successfully running B.A.T on a Windows 10 Pro 64 bit O/S. Thanks for your response Flying H.  :)

Garethster

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 10:19:24 PM »

Problem solved, or the potential problem with dual boot Windows systems.

Due to recent space issues on my hard drives I was forced to move my IL-2 installs from the D:\ data drive to the E:\ data drive. And that is precisely why I could not load any of the B.A.T modules. "Why?" you may ask. Well, the O/S I am currently running is Windows 10/64 bit, but during the upgrade process from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I opted to make my PC dual bootable. Little did I know that Microsoft discreetly moved the contents of my Windows 7 install from C:\ to a different partition, namely the E:\ partition, and subsequently changed the attribute of the E:\Windows folder to hidden. When I select Windows 7 as the boot O/S, the E:\ partition becomes a bootable drive and Microsoft temporarily aliases the drive letter from E:\ to C:\ and applies security restrictions on that drive; I believe a lot of those restrictions still apply to the E:\ drive even when I am running Windows 10. No error messages, no warnings, just business as usual. I can copy anything onto the E:\ drive and it looks and feels like free disk space, and I can install B.A.T but Microsoft does not like IL-2 B.A.T to be loaded onto anything that is configured as a bootable partition. So it appears that the security restrictions applied to a stock bootable C:\ drive also apply to any disk defined as a bootable partition.

I have since moved my IL-2 install back to the D:\ data drive (non-bootable), and everything loads just fine :)

Now time to tackle the expansion packs...fingers crossed. Thanks for the help chaps.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 01:57:56 AM »

good ol' MS up to its own special brand of trickery, then... :)
glad to hear you've solved it, feel free to edit the post title later to say 'solved' this will help any others on the forums with similar issues.
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
Re: Cannot get B.A.T Modules to load form Win10/64 bootable partition
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »

Wow, good finding Garethster!  :o

I changed the title of this thread so that other members with the same/similar problem
find this thread easier when doing a search and so maybe get the help they need.  ;)
i7-4790K 4.00GHz, Asus Z97 Extreme 6, 16GB DDR3; 750GB SSDs, 2TB SSHD, 8TB int.+ext.HDs; Sound Blaster ZxR; Nvidia GTX 980 4GB, Acer 3840x2160 GSync; Win10 prof.; Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, Saitex Throttle Quadrant. Beyerdynamic DT880 Headphones.

Garethster

Re: Cannot get B.A.T Modules to load form Win10/64 bootable partition
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Thanks SAS-Gerax! Hopefully it will help someone. Us simmers need all the help we can get :)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.