Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do-17 bomb splashes crushing FPS  (Read 2385 times)

maddog7800

Do-17 bomb splashes crushing FPS
« on: February 24, 2017, 08:14:13 PM »

I recently installed BAT and having been flying the CUP version of the Fighter Boys Battle of Britain campaign.  In the middle of the 3rd mission, I noticed some massive stuttering / very slow framerates (as in 1-2 fps).  Initially, I tried turning down various parameters in both conf.ini and nVidia Control Panel, with no help.  Then I started browsing through the logfile, but didn't notice any entries that caught my attention when comparing it missions with no issues. 

Finally, I started tinkering with the mission itself.  I noticed that the framerate hit came when bombs were hitting the water.  This is a mission with both Do-17s and Ju-87s, and I also noticed that the Ju-87 bomb splashes didn't cause the same problem.  To confirm that, I tweaked the mission to remove the Do-17s - no framerate problems.  The problem appears to be limited to Do-17 splashes.  I tried it with both 250kg and 500kg loadouts, with the same framerate hits when they hit the water.  I haven't tried other loadouts / aircraft combination to narrow down things further.

Anyone seeing anything similar with anti-ship missions?  Any thoughts on how to attempt to fix it, maybe try a different effects mod?

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
Re: Do-17 bomb splashes crushing FPS
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 05:32:24 AM »

The effects youre looking for are these:

Effects\Explodes\Bomb250\Water\Fontain.eff
Effects\Explodes\Bomb250\Water\Fontain2.eff
Effects\Explodes\Bomb250\Water\Fontain3.eff
Effects\Explodes\Bomb250\Water\Fontain4.eff
Effects\Explodes\Bomb250\Water\Fontain5.eff

This seem like a lot of effects to me, consider that all being displayed at the same time when a bomb hits the water. In the effects mod I'm using only got three sub-effects for this event.

I dont have BAT so I cant fix this for you, but the first thing to try is to reverting to the stock water splash effects. My guess would be, that this worked fine, until a tga texture was replaced with a much larger one or the particle numbers were increased in the eff files.
I'd also look at the logfile (conf.ini, LOG=1) maybe there's more info there.

maddog7800

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2017, 08:03:33 AM »

Thanks, vpmedia.  I'll try tinkering with those effects.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

maddog7800

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 07:06:40 PM »

Hmm. I've tried a couple alternate effects, with no noticeable improvement.  I'm still tinkering - I know this is a demanding map and maybe I've just hit the limit of what my system can handle (i5 @ 3.3 GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX 970), but it seems strange that no amount of dialing setting back helps in that particular mission phase.

maddog7800

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »

Never did figure this one out.  I even tried a full-up reinstall from scratch (IL-2 through BAT).  Framerates are fine for the entire mission, except for when bombs start hitting the water.  Then I get 1-2 fps for a little while before frames go back to normal.  I tried another effects package, but didn't notice any effect, so I didn't go any farther down that path.

I think I'm going to give up for now and just hit autopilot when I get to that stretch.  But I would be interested in knowing if others are seeing similar issues or if it's isolated to my system.  Mission 3 of Fighter Boys...

jpten

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:33 PM »

This was about B-17 bombs but had a similar issue, too many graphic requirements at the same time.  https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53845.msg585689.html#msg585689

maddog7800

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:31:37 PM »

Yeah, I had read through that post.  I'm not sure if it's the same issue or not.  This is really not a large bomber force or a large number of bombs.  It definitely seems to be tied to the weapons impacting.  FPS stays pretty stable when the bombs are released.  It's when they start hitting the water that things turn into a slide show.  And then only for a few seconds, then back to normal.  Which is why I thought turning effects down would help, but no noticeable change.  I haven't been flying with BAT long enough to know if this issue carries over to other situations or is limited to something specific about this mission...

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 03:05:51 AM »

When I read this thread yesterday I then tried this mission #3 in my BAT WAW:
had no significant fps loss when the bombs hit the water. Set some static cameras
on the ships path and watched the Do-17 attack from there: the same,
no significant fps loss. Info: see my specs below, my system is fixed
to a maximum of 60fps  (because of 4k GSync Technology), in this mission
I have 55-60fps when in cockpit, ~ 45 and more when I use outside view.
When the bombs hit I have ~ 35fps for a short moment, but no stutters etc.

My system is stronger than yours, but not so much I think,
so you should not get such a 1-2 fps lag..

It could help to post your conf.ini [Render_OpenGL] settings,
there are many experts around who could have a look.

And as vpmedia adviced above:
please post your log file right after you run this #3 mission:

Read how to get the log here, and the instant log here.

Important: read here which part(s) from the log to post
and how to post it (also for conf.ini). (code option!)

i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:28 PM »

Euan, there's nothing wrong with B.A.T.  The effects issue is almost certainly caused by the fact you are running an out of date campaign.  There are all sorts of objects and effects called for that are pre-B.A.T.  Tinkering with your install on that basis is a blind alley you don't want to go down.

I promise you that by Expansion Pack Nine (two weeks), with campaigns made in B.A.T. or converted to B.A.T. - there are no performance or sound issues.  B.A.T. is just a little too far ahead for a lot of older material.

maddog7800

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »

OK.  Thanks for weighing in, Monty and Gerax.  I thought this was a campaign that was fairly compatible with CUP / BAT, but if not I'll quick tinkering with it for now. 

If it's helpful, here is the Render_OpenGL section of my conf.ini:
Code: [Select]
TexQual=3
TexMipFilter=3
TexCompress=0
TexFlags.UseDither=0
TexFlags.UseAlpha=0
TexFlags.UseIndex=0
TexFlags.PolygonStipple=1
TexFlags.UseClampedSprites=0
TexFlags.DrawLandByTriangles=0
TexFlags.UseVertexArrays=1
TexFlags.DisableAPIExtensions=0
TexFlags.ARBMultitextureExt=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineExt=1
TexFlags.SecondaryColorExt=1
TexFlags.VertexArrayExt=1
TexFlags.ClipHintExt=1
TexFlags.UsePaletteExt=1
TexFlags.TexAnisotropicExt=1
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=0

TexFlags.TexEnvCombine4NV=1
TexFlags.TexEnvCombineDot3=1
TexFlags.DepthClampNV=1
TexFlags.SeparateSpecular=1
TexFlags.TextureShaderNV=1

HardwareShaders=1

Shadows=2
Specular=2
SpecularLight=2
DiffuseLight=2
DynamicalLights=1
MeshDetail=2
VisibilityDistance=3

Sky=2
Forest=3
LandShading=3
LandDetails=2

LandGeom=3
TexLarge=1
TexLandQual=3
TexLandLarge=1

VideoSetupId=17
Water=4
Effects=2
ForceShaders1x=0
PolygonOffsetFactor=-0.0625
PolygonOffsetUnits=-1.0

And here are the lines from the logfile after the mission is loaded (I ended the mission about 30 seconds after the stuttering started):
Code: [Select]
Mission: campaign/gb/fighterboys/fb-3.mis is Playing
INTERNAL ERROR: Can't open file 'PaintSchemes/Pilots/Default'
Time overflow (0): speed 0.7712082
Time overflow (20): speed 0.88235295
WARNING: TSmokeTrail::TSmokeTrail() Estimated number of particles 30 was clamped to (1 .. 8)
WARNING: TSmokeTrail::TSmokeTrail() Estimated number of particles 30 was clamped to (1 .. 8)
ERROR !mp3 stream error samples/Music/Radio/BBC/BB_Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Tampico.wav

ERROR !mp3 stream error samples/Music/Radio/BBC/BB_Stan Kenton & His Orchestra - Tampico.wav

ERROR !mp3 stream error samples/Music/Radio/BBC/BO_Gene Krupa & His Orchestra - There'll Be Some Changes Made.wav

ERROR !Exception in rt tick!

ERROR !mp3 stream error samples/Music/Radio/BBC/BO_Gene Krupa & His Orchestra - There'll Be Some Changes Made.wav

[Mar 25, 2017 9:14:12 PM] -------------- END log session -------------

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 09:39:35 AM »

If it's helpful, here is the Render_OpenGL section of my conf.ini:

I have the same conf settings as yours, only effects differs:
there I have 0 as I do not like the effects shadows,
Maybe try this ..
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

maddog7800

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 09:04:33 AM »

Yeah, I tried that Gerax.  It helped my overall fps a bit, but didn't have a noticeable impact on the stutters at that point in the mission.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 25 queries.