Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New skins from eMeL's paint shop: Spitfire Mk IXB's flown by Stanley Roland Chambers  (Read 2813 times)

eMeL

• Modder
  • Use it wisely my friend

Spitfire Mk IXB's flown by Stanley Roland Chambers with No. 165 Sqn Overlord and beyond

Download Spitfires_Chambers_Moffat-Wilson

Update 25.2.17

Spitfires_Chambers_Moffat-Wilson: Added Mk 471 without personal emblems, removed Mk471 DUCKY to its own folder + applied the story of Donald Moffat-Wilson's last mission written by Jean Michel Martin and Pascal Lebigot.

Original post SAS1946

Please bear in mind, these are modded Spitfire 9's based on the old Spit Mk Vb/IX 3Do, they will not work with the mod Mk 9's based on the Mk VIII 3Do's. The skins will work with: Spitfire Mk.IXb, 1942, Spitfire Mk.IXc M61E, 1942, Spitfire Mk.IXc M63E, 1943. If you don't have these aircraft, get BATted and you'll get these and tons of other Spitfire variants. If you have them but don't have the skin folders, create new folders and fetch the names of the folders from you air.ini. file (#WAW2/STD/com/maddox/il2/objects/air).

These skins will also work with the default Mk IXc/e (pointy tails) variants with minor difference in detail, the most notable being the wing armament bulges.

Happy Flying,
eMeL

"Be excellent to each other" Bill and Ted

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!

I could never understand those Spitfire versions either, its too many types,
but they all sure look beautiful  8)

I think I have at least 90% of all types in my
il2-1946+mods game, so this new skin will be most welcomed to my Spitfire Mk IX.B
and its historical too! Very cool !

Thank you very much eMeL 
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Pivoyvo

• Ein Tiecher bleibt immer Siecher

GREAT Thank You

lizard

Hi eMeL and thank you very much for the quick turnaround. Looks great!  :)

I asked Stanley about the personal Pegasus and "Ducky". It appears that this was the personal addition on Donald Moffat Wilson, who flew the plane a few days later and was killed on 12th June 1944.

This is an excerpt from my biography, which I presented him on his 100th birthday last November.

"The days after D-Day saw the Squadron on Ranger, Roadstead and Rodeo missions to support the Normandy landings. On one ‘Rhubarb’ mission on 12th June, at least two more of Stanley’s comrades were lost. 

One was Flt/Sgt James Johnston McLean (NZ/417080) , a New Zealander serving with the squadron (see Fig.  41).  He reported engine trouble returning from the mission and ditched 70 miles south of South Devon.  He was seen climbing into his dinghy, but air sea rescue were never able to find him.  The other casualty was Flight Sergeant Donald Moffat-Wilson.   Stanley recalls that he was up for commission “and last thing I knew he’d been posted missing! But I don’t know the circumstances and everything but he went missing – something went wrong.”

FIGURE 42 DONALD MOFFAT-WILSON IN HIS SPITFIRE. http://www.absa3945.com/Pertes%20Bretagne/Cotes%20Armor/Presse/Maroue/maroue.html

Moffat-Wilson hadn’t been with the squadron very long.  A French web author describes what happened on the day.   At around 11 am the squadron spotted German troop movements and dived to the attack.  Moffat-Wilson’s plane clipped an electrical cable and careered into the ground.  The website author traced Moffat-Wilson’s family history and made contact with his descendants.  His father and brother had both also died in 1944.

Interestingly, Stanley Chambers had flown this aircraft (MK471) several times.  While Stanley Chambers eschewed personalisation, “I had no time for it – give me the tools and I’ll do the job”, it is clear that Moffat-Wilson enjoyed it.  He applied a Pegasus figure and the name Ducky to MK471.

Yet, in practice, “you just flew the aircraft what was nominated on the line.  Serviceable aircraft were put on the operational board, and your name was put next to it what you was going to fly, the Flight Commander authorised all that and put the names against what you were going to fly.  That was what was given to him by the Flight Sergeant.  He said these aircraft were available and he and the Flight Commander put them on the board next to your name and was what you was going to fly.” When there would have been time and opportunity for personalisation, and what the likelihood was of flying your ‘own’ personalised plane, is unclear. "

Might it be possible to amend your post, and to put up another skin version alongside, identical except without the Pegasus and 'Ducky', which would mean that both pilots were covered?

Thanks and kind regards,

Bruce Mitchell

eMeL

• Modder
  • Use it wisely my friend

I could never understand those Spitfire versions either, its too many types,
but they all sure look beautiful  8) 

Thx Max, I think Mk VIII "niners" with the better UV-mapping were meant as optional to those struggling with the grievous fuselage roundel distortion plaguing all the original Spit's but you are right it's puzzling sometimes to try and figure out which one to use on the occasion with so many variants available - I'm not griping though, hats off to all modders involved ;)

Might it be possible to amend your post, and to put up another skin version alongside, identical except without the Pegasus and 'Ducky', which would mean that both pilots were covered?

Done ;)

Happy Flying,
eMeL

"Be excellent to each other" Bill and Ted

lizard

Thanks eMeL!  Good work.  Bruce.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 27 queries.