Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange water issue totally unrelated to BAT  (Read 9101 times)

Captain Dawson

Strange water issue totally unrelated to BAT
« on: January 24, 2017, 07:44:55 PM »

Hello, I am having an interesting water issue in BAT.

On all the RedEye_Jir Spain maps, the water height does not match the landscape except at sea level. When flying over, I see the water as if it is hundreds of feet below the river banks. I can prove this because if I crash into the river, my plane hits an invisible wall where the water should be, and then falls in slow motion, still above the water texture, so I can still see it under the ground/water. Can another user confirm having or not having this issue in the aforementioned maps in BAT?

It's hard to recognize from a picture, since it's a 3D problem, but have a look anyways. Note the distance of the water from the ground level, and the fact that you can nearly see the horizon below the ground! If you look closely, you can see the fine wave textures far far below.

I don't have this issue on any other maps as far as I know. Never had the issue in CUP. I believe I have installed BAT correctly, and I haven't had many problems until now. No relevant information on this in the log, only floatclamp and paintscheme errors.

Any help would be appreciated!  :)

"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

baggo

Re: Strange water issue in BAT
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 08:11:21 PM »

i noticed in bat the wave troughs were shallower in open sea almost like river water compered to cup and the white caps were missing on top of waves compared to cup,simons last update for bat addressed this issue of whitecaps in open sea,although in my install its still not quite as good as cup but at least their back.im sure effects will be tweaked in future updates.kev.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:55:37 PM »

Captain, I tried to duplicate your problem to see if I could figure out what was going on but I could not.  I loaded the Northeast Spain, Spring map from Redeye and flew a PBY around but it all looked correct to me.  Here is a shot of me landing on the water just off the coast of Barcelona:

Dennis

jpten

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 09:24:46 PM »

I am not an expert map maker but I have 'mucked about' on a few maps and I know that coastlines are problematic and there is a tool and several tweaks map makers use to match everything together.  It could be a problem that exist in certain areas of the map or could be related to steep slopes descending to sea level. 
   This may be a general map issue dealing with IL2's method of  building maps more than a specific BAT issue.  Posting in the map modding section might be best.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 10:49:50 PM »

I believe I just saw a similar discussion elsewhere...
The conclusion was that this is a general issue in IL-2 when you use "water=4" and seas with "elevated" water level, i.e. when the water surface is above sea level.
As much as I understood, when you have any other "water" setting in your conf.ini but "water=4" the issue shouldn't happen.
But I might be wrong.
SAS~Skylla and SAS~Tom2 should be able to shed some light on this.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 12:53:13 PM »

Mike
No, I don't believe that is it (at least in this case).  I have water=4 and I have created test missions on 5 of the Spain maps and I do not see this problem anywhere.  Visually the water level on rivers and sea looks correct and I can land on the water correctly.  There must be something else causing his problem.  Assuming no file download errors, a JSGME mod maybe?  I don't have any loaded currently.

Captain
Can you post a copy of the mission file from your screen capture above or any that you see this problem?  I would like to test the same exact area just to make sure...

Dennis

Captain Dawson

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 03:15:42 PM »

Captain, I tried to duplicate your problem to see if I could figure out what was going on but I could not.  I loaded the Northeast Spain, Spring map from Redeye and flew a PBY around but it all looked correct to me.  Here is a shot of me landing on the water just off the coast of Barcelona:
Dennis

Ok, I should have explained better. The water is fine along the ocean coast, as shown in your picture. The problem I have is that in rivers above sea level, the water is still at sea level and so appears far below the terrain. This in turn creates a plethora of unwanted visual glitches to go with it. For an example, when I am at altitude looking down at a river, the landscape passes by faster than the water because it is so far away! At low altitude, I can see a reflection of the horizon in the water beneath the terrain! Could you try this at a higher altitude river to confirm or deny this problem?

I am not an expert map maker but I have 'mucked about' on a few maps and I know that coastlines are problematic and there is a tool and several tweaks map makers use to match everything together.  It could be a problem that exist in certain areas of the map or could be related to steep slopes descending to sea level. 
   This may be a general map issue dealing with IL2's method of  building maps more than a specific BAT issue.  Posting in the map modding section might be best.

I don't understand how this could be an issue from the original map; I never had this problem in CUP and neither has anyone else as far as I know.

I believe I just saw a similar discussion elsewhere...
The conclusion was that this is a general issue in IL-2 when you use "water=4" and seas with "elevated" water level, i.e. when the water surface is above sea level.
As much as I understood, when you have any other "water" setting in your conf.ini but "water=4" the issue shouldn't happen.
But I might be wrong.
SAS~Skylla and SAS~Tom2 should be able to shed some light on this.

Best regards - Mike

Changing the water entry in the conf does not change anything in this case apparently. Still the same issue every time...

Captain
Can you post a copy of the mission file from your screen capture above or any that you see this problem?  I would like to test the same exact area just to make sure...
Dennis

The location does not really matter in my case. Any river above sea level has water at sea level below the ground. But here is the .mis entry anyways:

Code: [Select]
[MAIN]
  MAP NE_Spain_Jir/load_spr.ini
  TIME 12.0
  CloudType 0
  CloudHeight 1000.0
  player es0100
  army 1
  playerNum 0
[SEASON]
  Year 1940
  Month 6
  Day 15
[WEATHER]
  WindDirection 0.0
  WindSpeed 0.0
  Gust 0
  Turbulence 0
[MDS]
  MDS_Radar_SetRadarToAdvanceMode 0
  MDS_Radar_RefreshInterval 0
  MDS_Radar_DisableVectoring 0
  MDS_Radar_EnableTowerCommunications 1
  MDS_Radar_ShipsAsRadar 0
  MDS_Radar_ShipRadar_MaxRange 100
  MDS_Radar_ShipRadar_MinHeight 100
  MDS_Radar_ShipRadar_MaxHeight 5000
  MDS_Radar_ShipSmallRadar_MaxRange 25
  MDS_Radar_ShipSmallRadar_MinHeight 0
  MDS_Radar_ShipSmallRadar_MaxHeight 2000
  MDS_Radar_ScoutsAsRadar 0
  MDS_Radar_ScoutRadar_MaxRange 2
  MDS_Radar_ScoutRadar_DeltaHeight 1500
  MDS_Radar_HideUnpopulatedAirstripsFromMinimap 0
  MDS_Radar_ScoutGroundObjects_Alpha 5
  MDS_Radar_ScoutCompleteRecon 0
  MDS_Misc_DisableAIRadioChatter 0
  MDS_Misc_DespawnAIPlanesAfterLanding 1
  MDS_Misc_HidePlayersCountOnHomeBase 0
  MDS_Misc_BombsCat1_CratersVisibilityMultiplier 1.0
  MDS_Misc_BombsCat2_CratersVisibilityMultiplier 1.0
  MDS_Misc_BombsCat3_CratersVisibilityMultiplier 1.0
[RespawnTime]
  Bigship 1800
  Ship 1800
  Aeroanchored 1800
  Artillery 1800
  Searchlight 1800
[Wing]
  es0100
  g0100
[es0100]
  Planes 1
  Skill 3
  Skill1 1
  Skill2 1
  Skill3 1
  skin0 Mangas_I-16_Type10_CM_225.bmp
  numberOn0 0
  Class air.I_16TYPE10
  Fuel 100
  weapons default
[es0100_Way]
  NORMFLY 280145.17 332830.80 1000.00 300.00 &0
[g0100]
  Planes 1
  Skill 3
  numberOn0 0
  Class air.BF_109D1
  Fuel 100
  weapons default
[g0100_Way]
  NORMFLY 280468.65 332152.68 1000.00 300.00 &0
[NStationary]
[Buildings]
[Bridge]
[House]

Any other thoughts on this guys? Can someone confirm/deny the problem at above sea level rivers? Thanks
"It's totally foolproof, until you mess something up." -Captain Dawson My OP rig: CybertronPC Palladium custom desktop computer, GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5, CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz 6M Cache Skylake Quad-Core, RAM: 8.00 GB, Motherboard: Intel H110 Chipset, SSD: 240GB, HDD: 1TB, OS: Windows 10

baggo

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 03:34:20 PM »

captain overflew both coastal and inland waters all is fine in my install,even put the plane into the water normal crash,wish I could help more mate.kev.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 05:52:34 PM »

Ok, I'm with you now Captain.  I ran your mission from above but got rid of the 109 and changed my plane to a PBY.  I landed on the river OK but when I moved my viewpoint with the mouse down to water level, I could see tree trunks and land below the water surface level.  I also tried changing my "water" setting but no change.

Additionally, I copied the mission files over to CUP and I see the same exact thing  >:(.  So, it is not a BAT problem.  But, I don't know how to fix it or if it can be fixed.

Dennis

Captain Dawson

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »

Ok, I'm with you now Captain.  I ran your mission from above but got rid of the 109 and changed my plane to a PBY.  I landed on the river OK but when I moved my viewpoint with the mouse down to water level, I could see tree trunks and land below the water surface level.  I also tried changing my "water" setting but no change.

Additionally, I copied the mission files over to CUP and I see the same exact thing  >:(.  So, it is not a BAT problem.  But, I don't know how to fix it or if it can be fixed.

Dennis

Oh I know about this problem, but that doesn't matter as much to me, that is already a known issue. Your install must be correct, because you would know for sure if you had my issue.

My problem is a bit different. You see, if you were to land in a riverbed on my install, you would be landing on an invisible wall! There is no water you can touch, rivers are a huge empty hole in the ground, with water far below beneath the terrain.  >:(  If you "crash" into where the water SHOULD be, your plane dismantles and slowly sinks in the ground although you can still see it perfectly. Simply put, the water level is constant throughout the whole map, and doesn't take into account the above sea level rivers. I wish I could show a better picture, but it really is impossible to show it exactly without seeing the 3D motion as well...

jpten

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2017, 10:22:13 PM »

Oh, INLAND WATER, not coastal, been a problem for some time.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,37315.0.html
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48625.0.html
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,38363.0.html

It is all done by the colors (in greyscale) in the map files.
Land height is set on map_c, Water level is set on map_h.  Black is 0 meters, white is 4032 metres.

dpeters95

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 08:07:13 AM »

Dennis

Oh I know about this problem, but that doesn't matter as much to me, that is already a known issue. Your install must be correct, because you would know for sure if you had my issue.

My problem is a bit different. You see, if you were to land in a riverbed on my install, you would be landing on an invisible wall! There is no water you can touch, rivers are a huge empty hole in the ground, with water far below beneath the terrain.  >:(  If you "crash" into where the water SHOULD be, your plane dismantles and slowly sinks in the ground although you can still see it perfectly. Simply put, the water level is constant throughout the whole map, and doesn't take into account the above sea level rivers. I wish I could show a better picture, but it really is impossible to show it exactly without seeing the 3D motion as well...

Oh, then no I certainly do not have that problem.  I can land on the river just fine.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 27 queries.