Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: WxTech Wildcats cockpit mod for stock Wildcats, Ver. 3  (Read 26519 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: WxTech Wildcats cockpit mod for stock Wildcats, Ver. 3
« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2017, 10:28:20 AM »

Peter,
It would seem that the reticle mask is displaced toward the right from its correct location. Do you have any other cockpit-related mod for the F4F-4? In particular, is there another Z_Z_Mask.msh file being read instead of the one I supplied?

A screen shot of two might be helpful.

Peter Lynn

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2017, 06:59:52 PM »

Thank you for your very helpful reply WxTech. The problem seemed to originate in the WAW2 loading order. By placing your cockpit mod to load before the Barnsey airframe mod pack, it now seems to be fine. I simply used an exclamation mark followed by more blank spaces than there are in the filename of  Barnsey's airframe mod. I hope this is OK.  :)

Peter

sakai

• Modder
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

Hello Wx
I've got the same problem with Barnesy's 3D improvement of the frame of the cockpit. I can see only half of the gunsight reticle is visible fo the F4F-4 & the FM-2 and it isn't visible withe the F4F-3
I did like Peter (I moved up the file) but it's still the same
here is a view of the problem (a screenshot of the F4F-4 cockpit)

what is your opinion about that?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »

Sakai,
It looks like the reticle mask is a bit too far toward the right. You need to adjust the second last value for Z_Z_MASK in hier.him. I have mine set to -0.0006, which is essentially dead center. If you need to tweak the vertical position, the last number controls this.

It might be worthwhile comparing entries for various cockpit elements in the two different versions of hier.him provided by Barnsey and me.

sakai

• Modder
« Reply #136 on: September 07, 2017, 02:13:54 AM »

Hello Wx

I compared the two files (yours & Barnesy's) and the lines are a bit different and as I don't know anything about all that, I'll forget Barnesey's mod (I have to chose)
thanks for your answer

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #137 on: September 07, 2017, 08:35:29 AM »

Sakai,
If the principal difference between Barnsey's mod and mine concerns the canopy and its framing, mine is inferior only because it hasn't been as 'aggressively' ;) smoothed. Mine is better from the standpoint of more accurate width of the framing elements, a more correct curvature for the upper part (unless Barnsey addressed that too?--I haven't keep track), proper armored glass treatment (with a far better impact damage texture), and perhaps a bit better frame textures. In my not so humble opinion. ;)

I've found that canopy framing is an important matter in simulating the experience. The P-40E/M (which I'm currently working on) is absolutely atrocious! I'm going to essentially completely re-do it, it's that awful.

karo

« Reply #138 on: September 14, 2017, 06:26:36 AM »

The P-40E/M (which I'm currently working on) is absolutely atrocious! I'm going to essentially completely re-do it, it's that awful.

Hi WxTech! What is the progress of your work? I hope we will get the new cockpit of P-40 soon. I can't wait :)  Ps. Because of your cockpit and Aaken's FM a F4F has become my favourite plane of the game ;)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2017, 12:11:29 PM »

Karo,
The work is slowly proceeding in fits and starts. The undamaged gauge graphics are largely finished in appearance, and I have to relocate some because they're in the wrong place in the pattern. I want to I stall a working fuel gauge, which will require a Java expert to come up with the code once I supply the start/end points for full/empty.

I've been planning out the cockpit framing based on photos. I've noted that the stock 'pit:

- Is a bit too high sitting, by perhaps 50-60mm; a change of a few numbers in hier.him will fix this, if I deem it worthwhile.

- Has the rear bulkhead at too sloped an angle (it should be a bit more vertical.)

- Has the upper arch too flattened, and not nicely circular (just as was the case for the stock Wildcat).

- Has the horizontal, eye-height framing bars a bit too low.

- Has the forward sections of the horizontal framing bars meeting the armored glass frame too horizontal. These actually slope upward somewhat so as to attach where the armored glass frame transitions between straight and curving.

- Has the upper arc of the armored glass frame a bit 'flattened', in the manner of the rest of the upper canopy.

- Omits the longitudinal frame bar running fore-aft the length of the upper sliding canopy along its centerline.

- Has many of the frame bars too wide.

- Misses the fact that the left lower side of the sliding canopy has slightly smaller glazed apertures than the right due to it being an openable, hinged panel (flips upward.) I'm not planning to make this operable, though! ;)

Anyhoo. By the time I git 'er done the cockpit framing will look so different as to seem like a completely different plane.

I'd be foolish to supply an estimate on completion, but knowing at least one soul out there is waiting in anticipation should spur me on...

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »

Surely 2 weeks then? (I´m eagerly waiting too!)
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

karo

« Reply #141 on: December 21, 2017, 02:47:12 PM »

Hi WxTech! Xmas is coming and... I still believe that you will give us a new P-40 cockpit as a beautiful Xmas gift! I keep my fingers crossed for a successful finish of your work ;)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.