Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Battle of Kuban  (Read 5470 times)

LuseKofte

Battle of Kuban
« on: September 08, 2016, 09:45:22 AM »

Dear Friends,

It is my honor and pleasure to announce our current and future plans for the modern IL-2 Sturmovik Series. As you know we have released Battle of Stalingrad and Battle of Moscow and now we are ready to announce - THE BATTLE OF KUBAN! In addition to creating the Battle of Kuban we will be adding several new technologies, gameplay modes and community centered features to the Sturmovik series that will setup future titles based in the Pacific theater. We see the further development of the Sturmovik series as a marathon and not a sprint. We hope you will continue to support us and cheer us on the entire way as we make, what we consider to be, our shared vision a reality. More on our bigger vision further below.

To produce Battle of Kuban we have adopted a sixteen (16) month development plan that will culminate with its final release in December 2017. The plan is packed with new features, improvements, changes and new content. Battle of Kuban (BOK) will be available for Pre-Order in the coming weeks with a discounted price for early purchasers. An early-access program will also be available for pre-order purchasers as we have done in the past. You will not have to wait long to start experiencing new content and further improvements to the Sturmovik universe.

The Battle of Kuban provides a unique opportunity for us as a development team and for you as a customer. The Kuban theater offers some beautiful and varied scenery and interesting aircraft including Western Lend-Lease designs that played an important role not only the Kuban area, but all across the Eastern Front. The Kuban also helps the development team by providing an ocean environment for larger ships and other watercraft to do battle which will help prepare us for our eventual move to the Pacific theater.

BOK_Cover_EN_S.jpg

Planned to be Included in Battle of Kuban:

Flyable Aircraft and Content:
- Bf-109 G-4
- Fw-190 A-5
- Bf-110 G-2
- He-111 H-16
- Yak-7b
- P-39L-1
- IL-2 mod.43 UBT
- A-20B
- Hs-129 B-2 (Collector)
- Spitfire Mk.V? (Collector)
- Kuban map 300x400km (Seaport, Towns, Mountains, Sea, Prairies, Large Forests, Part of Crimea)
- Warships (Destroyer, Cargo ships, Submarines, Torpedo boats, Landing Barge)
- Some New Ground Units

Technology and Features:
- DX11
- VR (with existing GUI)
- New Career for Kuban, Moscow, Stalingrad (ROF-like)
- Scripted Campaign game mode with first Campaign of 15 missions. Community can add their own scripted Campaigns later.
- CO-OP Multiplayer Game Mode (ROF-like to start)
- Air Marshall and Field Marshall modes for MP. (i.e. HQ-ATC-GCI type screen to manage a battle with realistic limited info)
- In-Game Model-Viewer (tool for skin makers)
- Mods On/Off Mode (As open as possible including sounds and textures)
- Support for Tacview
- Rear View Mirrors
- Re-vamped Triple Monitor Support
- External Gauges API for app makers
- Ability for Players to Import Vehicles and Objects (Like ROF)
- SDK for Vehicles, Buildings, Boats and other Objects
- Custom Graphics Settings Options

Other Improvements:
- As much of Daniel’s DD120 (As time and budgets allow)
- Adjustable Cloud Heights
- Flight Model Optimization for AI planes (More AI planes in missions)
- Planes with larger wheels are less stuck in rough terrain
- Support for Larger Textures (Assuming tests prove possible)
- Sound/Graphics FX (Object linked hits and sounds)
- Sharper Shadows
- Haze Improvements (Possibly if research results are good)
- New Tracers (Possibly if research results are good)
- Oil Leak Texture Layer (Possibly if research results are good)
- Liquid effects on Canopies (Possibly if research results are good)
- Torpedoes
- Key/Axis Mapping Dialog Re-design
- PWCG custom button in GUI (Similar to ROF)
- Crew Position Hotkeys
- HEAT projectile
- Multiple Bomblets
- Cavity bursting charge AP projectile
- TrackIR seen as separate device by game
- Misfires when gun overheated
- Blown engine if something going wrong with it
- Trimmers on axis
- Cargo Drops and Paratroopers for Ju-52

… and other small improvements, changes and fixes we can fit in to the schedule.

Note: Items above not listed in any particular order or priority and any item listed is tentative provided development goals are reached as planned.

Larger Picture:

Over the next few years we plan to meet four major goals with our engine, technology and products.

1.       Build the technology and features the community wants to see in our products and try to re-capture some of the magic that made the original Sturmovik so much fun. We call it the “Spirit of ‘46”.
2.       Continue to use the Eastern Front as the proving ground for our engine, technology and game design for a little while longer. By making Kuban next, we will leave the Eastern Front a well-appointed theater that fans of the Eastern Front can enjoy it for a long time.
3.       Move to the Pacific Theater and build a first-class simulation of Carrier Warfare which dominated that theater.
4.       Develop features, methods and opportunities to increase community involvement in the creation of interesting content and increasing social interactions between players to build a stronger community.

If our plan is successful, our engine and product line will evolve into one of the biggest and best combat sim series ever.

Our long-term vision includes the following battles, but not necessarily in this order and final selection is not concrete.

Battle of Kuban
Battle of Midway
Battle of Okinawa
Battle of ??????

Additional improvements and features are planned for later products. We simply could not fit all possible features, content and changes into one product. And some features and changes have to come before we can build others. It is necessary to take a methodical, responsible approach to how we develop the engine and product further to ensure long-term success. No one wants us to release an unfinished or broken product. To do so would be the end of our team.

We have conducted much internal and external research on where we should go next and thought about the future vison of what you, the combat flight-simmer, wants us to make. It’s not easy to balance the wants and needs of the entire yet diverse combat-sim community with our budgets, deadlines and available resources. However, Battle of Kuban along with its new tech and features is a strong, aggressive step in the direction the community has requested we go. Please remember, the original Sturmovik as well as our earlier title Rise of Flight, was not built in a day, but over several years. However, with your continued help and encouragement we can make this vision a reality and keep the Spirit of ’46 alive!

You can discuss this announcement in this thread and read further comments from Jason that address this plan in even more detail.

See you in the skies and thank you for your continued enthusiasm and support!

The IL-2 Sturmovik Team

I like this game more and more, I can do without some mp servers , but it is really coming along. This new theatre bring along my two favorite planes HS 129 and A 20

asheshouse

• SAS Team
Re: Battle of Kuban
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:48:33 AM »

Nice long term vision. Hope it will succeed.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 10:10:38 AM »

For me the most important question still remains to be answered... CAN IT BE MODDED?
The same way we have been all doing with this old game.
If the answer is yes, then I will buy 2 DVDs like I did with the IL2-1946 and dedicate my free time to
adding more good stuff to it for everyone to also enjoy it.

With so many worldwide fans working on and modding the old IL2-1946, everyone has taken this game to a whole
new level of Greatness - which some people never thought it would be possible. Everything is possible if
you put your mind to it.
But it would also be necessary to have access to "some" of the games code.

The modern IL-2 Sturmovik Series could achieve the same level of greatness never before realized, if the
game industry could allow it to be modded.
Can you just imagine the new additions and goodies everyone could add to it?
More new realistic maps... new aircraft.... new building models ... new skins in High-resolution... new ships... so much more!

Probably in the next century they will allow this to happen, but I will not live that long.
Anyway,
 I wish much success and happiness to all the IL-2 Sturmovik Team .
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Dauntless1

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »

Mods On/Off Mode (As open as possible including sounds and textures)

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 07:44:23 AM »

@Max_thehitman,
There will be a Mods On/Off Mode as mentioned in the OP.
For instance for sounds, textures, objects and vehicles.
But in relation to maps it is a bit different:
http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25070-discussion-battle-kuban-announcement/?p=385901
http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/25070-discussion-battle-kuban-announcement/?p=385934

I gotta say that since Jason is the man in charge the communication is much better and a lot of interesting things to expect in the next couple of years.
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

LuseKofte

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 12:14:22 PM »

I can ful hatred recommend this game now, it run smooth on a mediocre pc now, it got believable FM on most planes and pretty maps. They got a long time vision , included Pasific, witch will bring in more players. It will not be modded like this game, but they open up for sound and other eye candy stuff. For the first time I am pretty sure this sim got a long life ahead of it, a very bumpy road has been progressed and the only way up is....... well ...up

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »

Well, at least it sounds promising. I feel a bit optimistic about this project, and will stay tuned.  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

LuseKofte

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 11:09:52 AM »

Well at least Jason have taken on a more humble approach when it comes to communication, and the vision about covering the war in Pacific make con 777 people more aware of what going on. Make no mistake the game is probably the best there is in the genre, and not only that. It is very convincing if you fly in it. What I do not like is most of the multiplayer conduct, and that is pretty devastating for a game with for the time being a lousy Single player. I fly only in non gps servers and just for a mission or two.
But when Pacific come, I think people who used to fly IL 2 and faded away will migrate to this game, you guys , I have given up :P
Another thing is the smooth experience, now it run smoother than DCS in my old rig, and I think this will be better. Great news on ROF also, they will convert it to this new game engine (updated) and will make it compatible with VR. This is good news for Oculus Rift users, they say a WW1 scenario will suit VR very well

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »

But there is still no equivalent of the FMB, just their QMB. A BIG drawback in my book ...  ;) Especially if they want to build a community around it. Then it must be opened up more.
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

LuseKofte

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2016, 01:33:18 PM »

Well it is a FMB (ME) in it, it is not difficult to do a single mission. But for campaigns I think it is more a sequence of single missions. It is nowhere near what IL 2 and COD can offer. This is admitted by the developers and has nothing to do with available tools. They are published years ago, it is darn complicated to make a good MP campaign. But there is many good ones, made by guys like you and me.
I miss very much IL 2 interface and QMB mission building, I just spent too much money on equipment that is not connectable to old IL 2, this deemed me out of this game. I fly mostly DCS choppers offline, in a civil manner. Learning to precissionfly them, and some squad online in BOS and COD

LuseKofte

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2016, 07:43:22 AM »

Hello everybody!

The work on Battle of Kuban is officially started - the development plan is completed and approved by all team leads. The map of Kuban and three 3D models of the aircraft are already in the works and we are making preparations for the Career mode. Today we'll tell you a bit about this new game mode.

The most important thing is that Career mode is being developed not only for the Battle of Kuban, it will replace the current Moscow and Stalingrad campaigns as well.

In general, Career mode will be similar to Rise of Flight career with some changes. The main difference is that the new Career will be divided into phases according to new theaters of war and each phase will contain several chapters highlighting most important events like in current campaigns. Players will be able to select a phase and a chapter where they would like to start a career. After completing a phase, the career can be continued in another theater of war that is set later historically with the same personage. Each player can have several personages for different sides and different phases.

Unlike in present campaigns, in the Career mode all missions will be tied to the calendar and time of day, happening successively. Your personage will serve in a selected squadron day by day and the outcome of previous missions will influence the next ones. In general, the tour of duty of a squadron will be close to the historical one. You can choose a squadron to serve in depending on a plane you want to fly. In addition, each aircraft and AI pilot in your squadron will be tracked. Pilots can be lost in action and new ones will join the squadron while damaged aircraft will require time to be repaired. All pilots of the squadron, both player and AI ones, will have a personal combat score and receive new ranks based on it.

We can't be 100% sure we'll have the time to implement this, but we want to allow player to begin a career as wingman and become a wing leader and eventually a squadron commander. Squadron commander can plan new missions, correcting a flight path and assigning aircraft and pilots to carry it out.

It will be possible to apply for transfer to another squadron, allowing a personage to change his aircraft and combat role (fighter, ground attack or bomber pilot) in the same career. Another significant change is that there will be historical military awards and ranks.

Please note that we don't simply copy the RoF career. It will be significantly optimized performance wise to make using it a breeze. While the main idea of the campaign comes from RoF, the mission generator will be an improved version of the current IL-2 one, resulting in much more rich environment and diverse combat situations that were possible in Rise of Flight. In addition, the current work of our engineer department on physics optimizations is aimed at increasing the number of aircraft in a mission, so the new Career will feature more intense and rich missions compared not only to RoF, but to the current IL-2 campaigns as well.

This is all we wanted to tell you about the new Career at this point, but there is another matter we'd like to share. In the previous Dev Diary we told you about landing gear modeling improvements that will be published in the next version 2.004. While working on the landing gear further, engineers were able to address a slipping friction modeling situation when a stationary or slowly rotating wheel of a landing aircraft touches the ground at a high speed, resulting in more accurate modeling of two-point landing. Tail-high landing can be performed if you touch the runway accurately, as shown in the video. In addition, an additional lateral friction is applied to a drifting wheel, making an aircraft more stable while taxiing, take off and landing, but also making it prone to roll-over during a strong skid. To summarize, taxiing, takeoff and landing will become somewhat easier and realistic in general, but a mistake during these phases will cause severe consequences. We' re hoping you'll like it.

Well this is for sure good news, Single player will be better and ground physics improved

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2016, 08:02:53 AM »

That's a good news after all.
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 29 queries.