Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Startup explanation  (Read 1609 times)

TheOligopolist

Engine Startup explanation
« on: July 14, 2016, 04:47:59 AM »

In WAW the engine startups are much more complex than in the vanilla game. They splutter and cough and sometimes take a few tries to get started. It's a really cool effect that I enjoy very much.
I had a good look through the manual but couldn't find anything on this part of the mod. I was just wondering is there a technique to getting some of the planes fired up first try or is it random?

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
Re: Engine Startup explanation
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 05:26:01 PM »

Good point mate!  Usually 5% throttle is a good place to start and it can take a few goes.  On a few earlier single engine prop mods the chocks need to be removed first.  Another good tip, especially for multi-engined birds, is to briefly press 'A' for Autopilot then quickly switch it off again and continue to start up.  This will have the effect of holding the wheelbrakes full on until they are positively released by the player.  This can help prevent unwanted movement until you are ready to go.  Another way is to remember to always start multi engined birds with Chocks-In.

Will add more explanation and pics to the CUP manual, good idea.  ;D

Dimlee

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 02:23:19 PM »

I love that feature despite it impact FPS.
Brakes are essential, indeed. Some planes are more sensitive than others. Just recently I crashed my B7A1 more than once trying to take off too fast. I felt myself like 15 years ago trying to master the very first IL2 version.

btasm

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 09:04:54 AM »

Is the randomized nature of engine startup impacted by the JSGME mods that reduce FPS hits for smoke and flames? Or is this feature (which is cool) independent of any mod?

SAS~Monty27

• SAS Team
  • Action and Adventure!
    • SPEEDMACHINE
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 11:26:51 PM »

In a word no - smoke and flame effect mods do not impact the engine code in any way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 27 queries.