Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Viet Minh map update (July 2016)  (Read 14514 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Re: Viet Minh update
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »

Zoran, it worked!  Thanks a lot.  I always wondered what the problem was with this map!  Now it will be a lot easier to work on it. 
I re-added objects in the docks/factory areas so that looks a little better now.  Changed the Hanoi railroad station to a better looking object.  Now I will concentrate on smaller towns that had battles or that were attacked by 14th Air Force in WW2.

Gatrasz

• Supporter
  • Dead but dreaming...
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »

This is a very welcome re-work of this map, thank you !

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »

A download link has been added on Page 1.

The first two screenshots on page 1 show the changed textures and added objects.  The sequential screenshots are from the WIP version.

If you got the WIP version then please delete it and install this new one.  New files included.
Some textures changed, added more objects and two more seaplane bases.
Port at Hon Gay added.  Fortifications added at some French battle sites.

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2016, 06:25:12 AM »

Hi CT Awesome Stuff  :D :)
You must be the number one devotee of The Flying Tigers here at the SAS
Any map you have done seems to be related to them.  :D

Do you know that at the ChiangMai aviation museum there is actual wreckage of a Flying Tiger aircraft that was hit by flak during a Chiang Mai raid.
The wreckage was found years later.

Very Cool CT  :D ;)
Cheers
Kirby

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2016, 07:02:39 AM »

Thanks Gatrasz and Kirby.   No, I did not know about the wreckage but I did know that one was shot down at Chiang Mai during a raid on the airfield.  I have been doing maps for the Flying Tigers! :)  It's perhaps the most famous group flyers ever.  I'm surprised this sim has not devoted more attention to them.

I'm also interested in lesser known battles and conflicts such as the French Indochina War against the Viet Minh.  Although there was no air to air combat (Viet Minh had no air force) there was use of some of my favorite planes in the ground attack role, namely the Bearcat, Kingcobra, and Invader.  I've also recently got interested in the Helldiver.  So, this map satisfies the need in those respects.

The improvements to this map were well needed.  I started re-work on it because I noticed the vp Modpack still had older versions of many Mod maps.  And because Poussin made missions on the map ( https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50659.0.html ).
I will soon be posting US vs Japan missions also.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2016, 10:13:06 AM »

You have done a excellent job on the update CzechTexan, thank you very much greatly appreciated. 8)

The detailing and additional textures have done a great deal to improve the map, I particularly like Dien Bien Phu. ;)

I will let the users take a look at those firebases for themselves, the above is the AI joyriding on my behalf. :D

Just a few issues if I may, firstly you credit me with work done on fortifications which I am certain were not mine, most
likely Anatoli as he was forever sending me mission templates for the South Vietnam map and quite possibly this one
also, I forget now.  He was the one with the talent and imagination to bring things to life on the maps.

Secondly, I can actually save missions on the map so I must have all the objects but seem to have a texture problem
in certain areas where there are groups of buildings like this one at Lang Son, do you have any idea please as to what
is wrong:

I never did get around to detailing that airfield and the near by town, it looks superb.

Take care.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »

Hi and thanks Pete.  That's a strange thing because I'm using the VP Modpack and my village does not look like that.  However, I did have a look at all the objects there and it does have 2 Kronstadt plates.  I deleted those and the ones in the other villages.  I hope I deleted them all.

Here is a link to a new "actors" file without the plates:  https://www.mediafire.com/?0edho1202n3ic19
Unzip and paste this new actors file into the map and Overwrite.
Let me know if there are other Kronstadt plates that I may have missed.

[see Post #23 below for the new actors file]

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2016, 04:26:03 PM »

For lost work without saving, yes I know, map making is so addictive you loose track of time and you are only one (wrong) click away. Happened to me when I slipped from "Save" to "Exit" by accident: 2 hours lost, bang!

Happened to me twice, once in an almost finished Truk Lagoon retex/repopulate and once or twice in other maps.

Great map, gents! :) :P

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2016, 04:27:52 PM »

... right click "Delete" just under "Unselect" is also a killer ...  I know I should probably use the keyboard instead !

Sometimes using ctrl + v right after an accidental deletion brings the objects back, at least when they were X' ray'd with the ctrl X KEY: :P

MarvinT

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2016, 11:55:30 PM »

Very nice looking map upgrade from the original. I can't save a mission do to the following missing objects in the actors file:
 Missing objects in your static.ini:

buildings.House$WaterStation
buildings.House$TrackArrow
buildings.House$Wasserturm1
buildings.House$Wasserturm
buildings.Plate$Airfield
buildings.House$TrackStopMetall
buildings.House$Factory_bloc2k
buildings.House$TrackStopWooden1
buildings.House$Izba_01
buildings.House$IndustrialFactoryConstruction2
buildings.House$Messerschmitt_Wooden_Hangar
buildings.House$HangarBoryPlzen
buildings.House$large_hangar1

I can still use two of my older missions with your upgrade.  I have the Hengyang map with the VP mod pack, not missing any objects. Thanks for the new map ( all involved  ).

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2016, 01:53:25 AM »

Hello CzechTexan, thank you very much for the new actors, unfortunately it does not fix the issue.

There only appear to be two areas where this happens, here at Lang Son:

And in Hanoi, one close to the rail staion and the other at the far end of the lake:

I tried the map in the VP mod pack and all was fine so it is most likely a problem with my main 4.12 install rather than
with the map, maybe the map is loading from other object folders.

The install has been used to test countless mods over some time so I am not surprised if it throws up the odd issue. :D

Anyway, thank you for the help.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2016, 12:40:54 PM »

ugh, Looks like I missed a few Kronstadt plates.  This time I opened it in my Modact game and was able to see them.  I guess VP Modpack does not have them...or they are invisible.  Anyhow, I hope this time all are deleted.
I did add a few more buildings to some villages so the actors is larger.

See 1st post on page #1

MarvingT, most, if not all of those objects were from a railroad station that I copied from the Battle of Moscow map...or maybe it was the Donbass.  I believe VP Modpack has BoM & Donbass maps  :-|  Something weird there.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 25 queries.