Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Viet Minh map update (July 2016)  (Read 14489 times)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Viet Minh map update (July 2016)
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »

UPDATED July 12, 2016
DOWNLOAD: https://www.mediafire.com/?fmsi8pxybjo749x
https://www.mediafire.com/?xqu2hfkrtn2b2xp

+FIXED ROAD ERRORS ON MAP_T.
+CHANGED NAME OF THE MAP to   ag_cztx_PS_Viet_Minh
+Deleted Red Racing Poles

Viet_MinhFMB, on Flickr
(above is an old edmap but it's still good to show)

(So that it will be compatible with already made Missions and with C.U.P.)

I apologize for the confusion but C.U.P. and older campaigns use ag_cztx_PS map but VP_MODPACK use ag_Viet_Minh map.

In order for all users to make missions using the same map name, ag_cztx_PS_Viet_Minh map will be used from now on.

USERS OF VP MODPACK MUST DELETE ag_Viet_Minh from their "all.ini" file and replace it with
"ag_cztx_PS_Viet_Minh" and installing the newest update above.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is an update of the old Viet Minh map which was created by agracier, Mission_bug, and myself.  I noticed the vpmedia  Modpack still has the old DBW original version.  Mission bug had updated it since then and now I am updating it once again. 
The main use for this map is for the French Indochina war and for the WW2 US 14th Air Force and Flying Tiger missions.

A few more airfields have been added at Nghia Lo, a second one at Dien Bien Phu, two in the south, and one northeast of Hanoi.  A seaplane bases have been added south of Haiphong, at Hon Gay, and at the lake on the north side of Hanoi (also keeping Mission_bug's spb and his other added airfields).

Some of the same Mission_bug textures are used but the colors are a little changed.  More forest trees have replaced tree textures.  New airfield texture helps with the look of the green grass airfield plates.  The use of a large airfield plate by Oknevas (or vpmedia) helps with look of the Dien Bien Phu airfields.

Added objects, mainly larger railroad stations and docks in Hanoi, Haiphong and populated those cities.  French forts have been added at Dien Bien Phu, on the Black River in the Hoa Binh area, and other places.
Added more bridges and bridge objects, some smaller towns, and made other numerous changes.

Hanoi with updated textures and added objects...
Tigers2 by , on Flickr

Tigers1, on Flickr

ile de France, on Flickr

Flying Tigers over Haiphong! ...
Haiphong Tiger, on Flickr

HANOI
I studied the US Army maps which were made in 1954 to redraw the Hanoi and Haiphong city areas.  Below is Hanoi looking north, showing Bac Mai airfield...
Hanoi1, on Flickr

The railroad yards near Gia Lam...
Hanoi railyards, on Flickr

HAIPHONG
You will notice a shipyards and factory complex below the Bearcat.  The objects are from a mission and are NOT static objects that come with the map.  The 1954 Army map (and Google Earth) does not have anything like that in this area...BUT I thought the mission builder did such a fine job creating this that I placed factory textures in this area for those objects.
my Bearcat, on Flickr

NGHIA LO - added an airfield at this battlefield...
NghiaLo, on Flickr

HOA BINH - Major battle here southwest of Hanoi...
HoaBinh1, on Flickr

Napalm is deadly at Hoa Binh...
HoaBinh2, on Flickr

Dien Bien Phu (fictional Viet Minh Air Force Yak-3)
Dien Bien Phu3, on Flickr

Two campaigns, and more to come...
Indochine Invader, on Flickr

AU title, on Flickr

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
Re: Viet Minh update
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:53:12 PM »

Hanoi and Haiphong cities and some other small towns are now populated.  All other small towns will not be populated.  They are small enough that mission builders can add a few buildings, if they wish. 
Also fixed the river at Hoa Binh.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:49:15 PM »

Looks excellent. My congratulations to all who have created this new map.
You can feel free to use the Vietnam dirt roads I did a few years back to add them to this map, if you wish.
It was used on another Vietnam map already but those dirt textures on the map are a subtle more
reddish in color in some areas.

You will find the dirt road textures and files in this map...

image on post reply# 14
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,35861.12.html

South Vietnam retextured by WhiteCat - v. 1.0
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,35861.0.html
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 06:38:29 PM »

Thanks Max.  And thanks for the road textures.  But somehow I don't see them on the map.  I put the mud road textures into the land/summer folder with the correct load lines.  Does this automatically change the look of the roads or do I have to draw the roads all over again?

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 07:35:25 PM »

Now I cannot remember. LOL
I am getting old. :(  I just made them and sent them over to Whitecat. He did the rest.
I have to check my files to see if I named them something else, or if it was a replacement texture for
the dirt roads. I don't think so.

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 08:27:52 AM »

Looking really really good, congratulations!

I agree with the idea of adding buildings in missions if you need them for the small villages. Same with your comments about what looks good but is not so historically accurate.
You could consider me as a rivet counter but when one starts doing a bit of research ... well, there are limits in the game and limits in what we (masochist) are prepared to do ..

Being very picky for airfields, it bugs me when massive hangars and in-your-face fuels tanks are put on maps for smallish dromes. You better not look at period photographs!
I reckon you could have objects saved in mission templates that you deliver as a pack with your map when it is finished. This would work for an airfield, starting as a grass strip and finishing with concrete runways and buildings. Or the buildings for the villages you mentioned, a sort of assisted do-it-yourself. This certainly an option I am looking at for a map that can be used from 1940 to 1944. There are so many changes during this period, plus with 4 different seasons, no way I will get these variations in actors.static files or all.ini entries... Should have picked a tropical place! Or the 6-Day War...

dsawan

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 12:51:27 PM »

looks good. Eagerly awaiting!

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 02:13:40 PM »

Thanks Zoran and Dsawan.  Your words are encouraging.  I'm almost ready to upload it. 

I had a discouraging incident recently with this map.  While populating more objects in the docks/factories areas of Hanoi and Haiphong my computer froze and I lost all I had populated in that session.  I forgot to save and backup the actors file!  I got so carried away with the populating that I forgot to follow my rules of saving...ugh!  It's not the first time but I hope it's the last.  Anyway, it looked really good with lots of objects...but they were lost...I'm not really feeling like doing it all over again...but I might add a few more if I'm feeling good.

Mission_bug commented on how he had problems (memory issue) working on this map.  I noticed too.  One strange thing I noticed about this map that might be causing the problem is that edmap01 has some type of placement markers (little red pointers) like found on Google Earth or something like that.  There are a couple of them by the "V" in Viet Minh but it's only viewable in the Unlocked FMB.

I clicked on them to try to delete them but it caused some saving problems. 
I wonder if anyone can figure out how to get rid of them as I think this is what is causing the memory problem.

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 04:17:02 AM »

I don't think it's in your ed_m01.tga or ed_m02.tga if the red beacons are only visible in FMB+.
They must an object of some sort, so the actors.static content may give a clue.
Assuming you only have two of them, what about looking for objects listed only twice? Or (text) selecting only the objects of the set region to see what you get?
I tried in the CUP version (possibly the same as in the VP Pack) and it was very hard to move mouse... I could not click on them and doing a rectangle selection did not select anything either.
I can have a look if you want, put the files in https://yadi.sk/d/7aU3mEF6syhWC or send me a PM with a link.
-----
For lost work without saving, yes I know, map making is so addictive you loose track of time and you are only one (wrong) click away. Happened to me when I slipped from "Save" to "Exit" by accident: 2 hours lost, bang!

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 04:34:46 AM »

Hi CT,

I am very sorry for your loss of some of your work  ::(  :(

I do know how you feel.

For me some times it has been the damn load button and not the save button.
As Zorin says 2 hours or in cases an afternoon's work session gone in a second.

I am looking forward to your map CT soon  :D  ;)

Cheers
Kirby

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 04:42:57 AM »

... right click "Delete" just under "Unselect" is also a killer ...  I know I should probably use the keyboard instead !

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 04:13:19 AM »

It's your labels.txt file, 11.5 Mb generates this erratic behavior.
Open the file, delete everything in it and save. Back at 0 kb you should be fine.
The version in CUP must have the same over-sized file.

Good textures and texture choice by the way!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 26 queries.