Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Nimitz class carrier  (Read 38885 times)

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
Re: Nimitz class carrier
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2017, 06:21:41 AM »

IL-2 1946's polygons have to be triangle.

When blender / 3ds Max uses square polygons in their modeling time , the exporter makes separating a square polygon into 2x triangular polygons.
Is blender's poly-count shown as triangular polygons as you think ?

Another possibility is multi material. (I'm not sure, only possibility.)
When some polygons have 2x material , are their counts made twice in 1946 ?

Some of that errors come only when a lighting effect is drawn near the troubled object.
In its stationary time , no errors , even with a bit over poly-counts like 3090.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #85 on: January 15, 2017, 06:58:16 AM »

Following shows _Park hook arrangement on Ark Royal - in response to your PM.

Pivot point location and orientation is as shown. Numbering must be sequential and clockwise as shown.

A more complex deck park arrangement would require special coding, beyond my knowledge.

_LPark is similar but I am not certain that the game function is fully programmed as originally intended.
The stock Illustrious model includes separate aircraft lift meshes and is arranged to allow coding of aircraft lift operation. This was never implemented by 1C.

I presume that aircraft should be able to taxi to the _LPark area after release of the arrestor cable but this does not work properly on my models. 

karla

• Modder
« Reply #86 on: January 15, 2017, 03:00:55 PM »

Thank you Ashes for generously sharing your knowledge. I was beginning to think that landing parking was not working; you've saved me from quite a few hours of wasted work. I'm going to start on takeoff parking on Nimitz tonight.

karla

• Modder
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 02:55:26 PM »

A Phantom darkens the deck of Nimitz

Thank you for all the encouragement. Another step forward, albeit slowly. With the help of western and asheshouse I was able to begin to understand the working of deck shadows https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,53621.0.html. I thought it was a significant stage in Nimitz development because one can now hit the deck and cast shadows and it makes it feel like a solid entity.

I revisited the catwalks and made all the 2D models into 3D; I'm not bothered too much about saving vertices in many of the objects, it's all about the visual. It seems as though every item on the boat has been remodelled at least once, probably that's why it's taking twice as long as planned. As usual, still more work to do but I'm sure we'll get there soon.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2017, 06:43:03 PM »

It looks so beautiful  8)

My enthusiastic cheers to you!
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2017, 08:39:34 PM »

She is looking good, however I see your comment .....
  I'm not bothered too much about saving vertices in many of the objects, 

You can get an over poly model to show and work in the game, (like the Bon Homme Richard for example), however, the game is liable to freeze  if the ships armament  opens fire when your aircraft is on the deck - as the effect of the muzzle flash seems to overload the game engine.

I would suggest that it may be better to try to be prudent with your individual mesh sizes wherever possible, to ensure smooth game play.

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

jt189

• Retired Warrior
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2017, 02:20:11 PM »

waiting for this ship to be released so I can use it in a campaign I am making for the gulf wars got all the other ships you have made in my install. you do good work

karla

• Modder
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2017, 12:47:16 PM »

Most of the hooks work has been done - wakes, wires, catapults, shadows, parking and collisions. Apart from the arresting wires, none of them were easy. It seems as though all the wakes are interdependent and I think the parking areas have an effect on the catapults. The flightdeck collision mesh was studied on and off over two months and, among others I tried: simple rectangular boxes (which worked but were inaccurate), duplicates of the original decks, flat planes, copies of other carrier meshes and accurate regular meshes. To complete the job a compromise shape was created which works over all the flightdeck but is not strictly accurate  because it adds two small extra areas near the bow where one can float in space.

Still finding normals pointing the wrong way as a result of the texture-fixing exercise - but they're getting really hard to find. Still adding twiddly bits here and there, taking care not to add too many polys.

Found BAT last week, installed it and am just going to concentrate on Nimitz being a part of it. CUP, DBW and others based on 4.12.2 should also be available to Nimitz.

Western is being really helpful on the Improved Fresnel Lens Optical Landing system that he developed which I'm trying to get onto Nimitz. I'll be working on the Phalanx and Sea Sparrow weapons soon as well.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2017, 07:54:14 PM »

Hi.

I think the parking areas have an effect on the catapults.

About traditional catapult setting style in Catapults.ini , it's as you say.
The catapult's starting point X,Y position is written from the corner of the parking area.

Some months ago, I might send you a PM with Beta testing new catapult hook version.
A pair of hooks "_SCat1_start" and "_SCat1_end" mean No.1 steam catapult position for Engine MOD 2.7.2w and no need to write any entries on Catapults.ini and free from parking area.
_SCat2/3/4 are also available.
It's too small value problem of full automatic pushing force calculation will be solved in Engine MOD updates.

Mopat

« Reply #93 on: January 30, 2017, 06:12:34 AM »

Looks great, guys!
Also, an interesting question: we got new Sea Sparrow SAM missiles and Vulcan Phalanx AA(or, perecisely CIWS) guns with this mod :). Sparrow Launchers are already in the 3D models, but how we could model a CIWS gun? Due to the very precise CIWS aiming. Have some accurcy% unit in every single AA gun in our game? So, with java parameter magic, our WWII style flaks turned into deadly radar guided snipers?
As i see, Tomcat are also in works... So, its time to "...Spash the Zeroes! I repeat, splash the Zeroes..."

karla

• Modder
« Reply #94 on: February 01, 2017, 09:16:02 AM »

<iframe width="642" height="392" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nimitz video with Phantoms; landings only; 3.5 minutes. Needs a little more editing before it's issued with the release model in a couple of weeks, I guess.

(Can someone please point out how to do a proper link to YouTube?)

taskf53

« Reply #95 on: February 01, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

8) :P 8) :P 8) :P 8) :P :o :o :o :o :o :o

Its too difficult in english :)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 25 queries.