Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WAW20 Drained Beta  (Read 9536 times)

Moezilla

• Supporter
WAW20 Drained Beta
« on: June 19, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »

Shortly after CUP's initial release I went digging in the SFS files and found that there are some resources in the MME archives which would be better placed in WAW. These included planes, cockpits, sounds, ground vehicles, ships, etc. I mentioned this in a post or two at the time but, understandably, they were not noticed. So I set about hunting and fixing small bugs and released a couple of JSGME addons which were incorporated into subsequent WAW updates. Then I stepped away from the forum for a while due to real life stuff and returned at the end of Jan 2016. I got caught up to WAW20 and found that some of the same issues from a year earlier were still coming up on the forum.

Then I saw vlara's post and Monty's generally positive response to it. I was in contact with Monty around this time and he invited me to help test some stuff for an upcoming WAW update but I have not heard anything on it since and he hasn't been active on the forum since mid-May. I put it on the back burner for a bit because I was working with sniperton on some DCG-related stuff and in the course of that work I uncovered some more small bugs in WAW and so I came back to the idea of streamlining WAW and getting the issues sorted.

I think there is around 11GB of disk space to be saved if we really get busy with the pruning shears and there are some issues that are simple to fix but cause serious performance problems that can be dealt with. I set to my task and have the stuff ready to test, which I called WAW20 Drained. I have contacted Monty again by pm telling him of my progress.

Here is a list of the issues I found:
Code: [Select]
Bugs and missing resources:
- Version of VisualMod 8 and 9 in initial CUP release causes CTD when activated and aircrew bail out (fixed if JSGME Restore Point CUP installed).
- Version of Ship Extension Mod in WAW has bug regarding guns still firing while sinking
- Some ships in WAW (circa 30) do not have the sailor_dis, marina_dis, mariM_dis mats and associated texture resulting in severe performance drops when these ships sink
- PWS-26 is missing sounds resulting in hang when trying to use this plane
- Missing British, Russian, Finnish and Dutch weapons affecting planes including Fokker CX/CXP, Vildebeest and Stranraer
- Small errors in cod files or inappropriate version of class files resulting in some loadouts being non-functional or missing from DreamK's Torps and Mines mod.
- Duplicate loadouts for some planes due to weapons being registered in both class and cod file.
- Dead Studebecker truck model is positioned above ground.
- Around 75 ships have classes in WAW but no 3d model or ini entries.

Typos, invalid entries, duplicates in technics.ini file:
- Duplicate entries (some with different properties) for M2A1_105mm, ValentineII, MatildaMkII_UK, MatildaMkII_AU, M4A2, M4A2_US, M4A2_76W, M4A2_76W_US, HoRo_MG, Tatra_OA30, Coelian (3), SU76
- Missing FireFastTargets 1 entry for BA64, FAIM, LVT-2, M8_Greyhound, HoRo_MG, SdKfz251, Nimrod, DemagFlak, SdKfz6Flak37, OpelBlitzMaultierAA, Wirbelwind, ZIS5_AA, MaximeGAZ, M3A1_APC, M16, M16_US,
- Invalid path in MeshDesert for M5A1Stuart, WillisMBt, WillisMBt_US, M1_ATG_57mm
- Invalid path in MeshDesertDamage for M1_ATG_57mm, Chevrolet_flatbed_US
- Invalid path in MeshWinter for GAZ_55
- Invalid path in MeshWinterDamage for BMW_MGr, Chevrolet_flatbed_US
- Invalid path in MeshSummerDamage for Katyusha, Chevrolet_flatbed_US
- Invalid Soldiers value for AustinAmb and Firetruck
- Typo in MeshDesertDamage for OpelBlitz6700A_radio, WillisMBt, WillisMBt_US

Typos, invalid entries, duplicates in chief.ini file:
- Default army value for these vehicles should be 1 - AustinAmb, Firetruck, Matador, Matador_Flatbed, TilleyArmy, TilleyRAF, Dodge34, QuadTractor, TilleyTowingATC, QuadTowingFuelBowser, Bedford_Flatbed

Typos, invalid entries, duplicates in stationary.ini file:
- Default army value for Farm_Sound has a typo

Typos, invalid entries, duplicates in ships.ini file:
- Missing strength_HullEnormNagato and strength_HullBang sections (alternatively change HullBang to HullMedium)

Performance/Gameplay related:
- Unoptimised mat values and heavy textures for vehicles can result in fps drop in target rich environments
- Unoptimised LOD values can result in vehicles disappearing too soon.

I think 20 parts is a nice round number to have a look back at how much good work has been done and maybe focus a little more on optimisiation, maintenance and bug-squashing for the next phase.

Moe

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: WAW20 Drained Beta
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 01:14:40 AM »

sorry to sound a little negative on this, but i fear that this new craze of guys all uploading their personal idea of a new/fixed/ improved/whatever version of CUP in the way it's currently happening, is only going to cause much more problems for modders and end-users alike, at some point down the road.
just my two cents in this regard, nothing specifically against this particular mod either, i just fear for even more compatibility issues down the line, as this sort of thing proliferates.....
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

OberstDanjeje

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 01:28:19 AM »

I think it could be a good idea but only if you could work with the CUP team

spartan18a

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 02:44:18 AM »

Dear Moezilla,

I was lucky I could read your message before it got deleted. I think it´s a good idea but I also think that need to keep the same path. What about if you contact Monty et al. and share your idea with them? If we could really save 10GB and run smoother, it is really worth a try!  :)

Take care buddy  :)
Winning is optional, but trying your best is not.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:54:20 PM »

hi Moezilla - please don't delete your messages like that - you have now made this thread redundant in such a way that nobody knows what it's about, thereby negating my and any other comments here as well.
for that, i'm afraid i'm going to add you to the group of people that may NOT edit there posts any more without an admin assist. sorry, but to keep things sane in a forum this size, that's the only path open to me.
replace the missing post as it was and i'll revoke that, but currently that's what's going to happen.
sorry, i'm trying to be very brief here as i am experiencing huge connectivity issues, and there's no way i can do any sort of decent comms atm.....
as i said, nothing against your mod, but people need to see what it is i was worried about, and now....just another wasted thread.... :(

Moezilla

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:56:42 AM »

No problem Malone, I don't mind losing my editing rights. It will teach me to be more careful about what I post.

If you feel this thread is redundant, and I agree with you, feel free to delete it.

sniperton

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:53:11 AM »

May I propose as an outsider to discuss the prospects of WAW first? Is it a living project maintained by its creators, or was it a one-time release which is not to be continued? I have the impression that it cannot be told definetely at the moment, but sooner or later the community has to decide which is the way to go with it. Just not to get trapped in situations like this.

I personally ask Moezilla to restore his text (which I was lucky to read before it was removed); on the base of it we can then moderately argue for and against a streamlined and optimized re-release of WAW.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 04:13:45 AM »

exactly - if the original text, or even just the basic idea, can be floated here for the community to discuss, then that's at least a way forward.
if i just remove this thread now, then in a day or two we could very well see exactly the same thing happen again - someone might post up a new/improved CUP version here, and then we have to repeat this whole story from scratch again.
i don't want to be that guy that tells others not to post their mods up, i'm just voicing my concerns for the mods in a 'bigger picture' type scenario.....

OberstDanjeje

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 08:21:12 AM »

As far as I know BigBossMalone if he has somethnig to say it says bluntly.
He just said his opinion more like a user than an editor, I think :)
I support the Moezilla effort but since CUP is alive and kiching is best to work with the CUP's team
I suppose they will be very happy to share their incredible task with someone else
Has a standalone project it could confuse many user.
But since it was requested by many user I'm sure it will be appreciated

Moezilla

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 09:11:05 AM »

OP updated with the basic principle re-instated.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:16:37 AM »

much appreciated, mate - thanks! ;)

i've had quite a few PM's coming my way from guys who wanted to try your mod, and i've referred them to you, so you might get a PM or two coming your way, unless they now read this updated thread.

tartenmuche

• Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:28:48 AM »

Dear Moezilla,
your proposal is largerly beyond my skill but I am happy to learn that you stay with us.
Best regards.
Intel Core Duo E8400 3GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti, 2x2 gb DDR2 1066 mHZ
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 29 queries.