Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Central China - Hengyang_V2  (Read 30793 times)

fatty_finn

• Modder
  • "no idea"
Re: Central China - Hengyang_V2
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 08:45:23 PM »

Dear CzechTex,
what a beautiful [& useful!] map.
Congratulations!!
Speaking as one who's toured in this part of China:  Your depiction of the region is superb.
[with a nod of thanks also to the ancient Il2 engine -which never ceases to amaze !]
f_f

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »

Great map, a feast for our eyes! Many thanks for sharing,  8)

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 07:00:37 PM »

:o wOw!  what really nice compliments!  Thanks so much to everyone for all the nice things said.  But don't forget - Riptide_one deserves credit too.

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »

I like the way the map is populated. Mr. Riptide_One did his best.
A lot of attention to details.
(Where is he by the way? Haven't seen him on the forum for quite some time.)

On the other hand, the amount of objects to create the densily populated cities brings my system to its knees. From a steady 50-60 fps to 4 (!) frames per second when flying over a city like Changsha.

Second, the same water/land issue as on the Hankow map.
Where land meets water there is a difference in height. Which allows you to peek 'under the carpet'.
Also boats float above water level.

image hosting
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2016, 04:07:39 PM »

yep, unfortunately rivers cannot be at zero height on some maps.  Maybe some map builders know better than I how to do it.  The small chimneys do look odd below river level in the above pic!  :P  All I can say is to overlook the eyesores. 
Before Riptide_One started populating he asked our opinion about the high density of objects in cities and everyone agreed to populate heavily.  It drags my frames down a lot too.  I put my Selector settings on Expert mode with added RAM and Conservative settings and now I have better frame rates but it's still not great.

I exchanged emails with Riptide_One a couple months ago and he mentioned that he was unable to finish populating this map due to personal reasons or computer reasons.  That's why I had to finish for him.  I do hope his situation gets better so that he can enjoy this great map he has co-created.

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »

yep, unfortunately rivers cannot be at zero height on some maps.  Maybe some map builders know better than I how to do it.   
I am working on the map of very mountainous country - Bosnia at present, so I meet the problem of zero height rivers extensively.
May I remind the solution mentioned in the link:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48625.0.html

my replies #1 and #4 there ?
Examples of the results using that step-by-step procedures may be seen there:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48775.96.html

Just my 2pence, excuse for hijacking the thread.

gianluca

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 10:20:28 AM »

Hi CT and thks a lot for this beautiful map! As Flying Tiger fan I can't say other than: wow! A long awaited one indeed.
As UUfflakke I would like to have amore powerful rig to handle this mao at her best...
I found out however a drawback, no criticism as it depends to IL-2 engine limitations/AI behavoiur; when circling before landing, as most of the airfileds are surrounded by hills, often happens that AI fly straight into them unfortunately. I don't know if there could be something which would correct this: I take any tip/suggestion!
Anyway, thks again CT!

Best regards,

Gianluca

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 05:44:25 PM »

hi Gianluca, When building airfields for the map I had to adjust their angle of direction so that planes would be able to takeoff/land.  All airfields were tested and should work.  Some may have to use "short Left" or "short right" landings.  Details and tips on all airfields are found in the NOTES ON AIRFIELDS file.  Hope that helps.

The airfield I had most problems with is near Fu-chou in the upper-right portion of the map.  Sometimes it helps if planes approach the landing field from a long distance and straight at it.  The plane will then be able to easily get into a landing pattern (be sure to choose the appropriate option found in the NOTES).  Depending on the type of plane, you might have to play with it and make adjustments if needed.

If I remember right, I tested all U.S. fields with the B-24 and B-25 and P-40.  They all worked for me but thankfully we now have the options of "short right/left" landings which made things possible in tight places!  I also had to lower the heights of some surrounding mountains!   All Japanese fields were tested with the Ki-21 and Ki-43 and should work fine (Fuchou might need some adjustments in your last waypoint before the landing waypoint).

Curiously, which airfields are you having problems with?  Maybe I could help.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2016, 05:59:27 PM »

During the WIP I was looking for an alternative water color.  A nice one was already in the retextured Burma map!  You can copy/paste the "Water" lines from the Burma's 'load' file to make the water look like below...

"Boss's Hoss" was piloted by Lt. Col. W.N. Reed while in the Chinese-American Composite Wing.  The CACW consisted of both Chinese and American pilots, crews, and mechanics all working together.

CzechTexan

• Modder
  • TEXAS, USA
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2016, 08:53:54 PM »

"P" of 8th Fighter Squadron, 3rd Fighter Group, CACW

Notice the attention to detail that Riptide_One populated under the sheds and in the barnyards.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2016, 04:42:12 AM »

Great map :), many thanks CzechTexan for the map and finishing it and Riptide_One especially for his superb work on top of the base map longer ago.
 :-*
Cheers

Thorsten

gianluca

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2016, 08:13:21 AM »

hi Gianluca, When building airfields for the map I had to adjust their angle of direction so that planes would be able to takeoff/land.  All airfields were tested and should work.  Some may have to use "short Left" or "short right" landings.  Details and tips on all airfields are found in the NOTES ON AIRFIELDS file.  Hope that helps.

The airfield I had most problems with is near Fu-chou in the upper-right portion of the map.  Sometimes it helps if planes approach the landing field from a long distance and straight at it.  The plane will then be able to easily get into a landing pattern (be sure to choose the appropriate option found in the NOTES).  Depending on the type of plane, you might have to play with it and make adjustments if needed.

If I remember right, I tested all U.S. fields with the B-24 and B-25 and P-40.  They all worked for me but thankfully we now have the options of "short right/left" landings which made things possible in tight places!  I also had to lower the heights of some surrounding mountains!   All Japanese fields were tested with the Ki-21 and Ki-43 and should work fine (Fuchou might need some adjustments in your last waypoint before the landing waypoint).

Curiously, which airfields are you having problems with?  Maybe I could help.

Thks alot CT, will try asap your suggestions!!

Best regards,

Gianluca
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 29 queries.