Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Caudron G IV / G VI  (Read 14018 times)

<Gunny>

Re: Caudron G IV / G VI
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 07:00:29 PM »

Your more than WELCOME..  :D
Just glad to be of a wee bit of help. ;D

Unca-Fester

• Graduate of the Dirk Gently School of mucking about.
  • Modder
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 09:41:24 PM »

I try to make all the aircraft I make  independent of others in the game, if I use classes from something I name them for my mod, that was the case here, however, recent code changes by our coding gurus sometimes break things for older mods, in this case deactivating the line 'AircraftLH.printCompassHeading = true;' from the 4.10 original class files has worked for me.  This line of code is proving to be a major annoyance, not sure why.

I usually use 4.10 for the WWI stuff because most want it in their DBW 1916 and just add whatever changes might be necessary for 4.12, in this case there was no need originally to alter anything specifically as usually the WWI types are okay in 4.12.

Please do not add these to anything other than 4.12 with ModAct 5.30 and please back up what you have first just in case
my fix causes further issues.

I'm running a Frankensteened 4.10.1/3.6 ModAct WWI mod and I'm looking for more aircraft that don't either crash the load page @ 70%, or end up loading under the ground and crashed/dead(?)  I'd like to get the Farman pack and the Voisin running and also figure out why half of the Nieuports fail to load in QMB with a warning about some sort of 'EM engine' fault.

I've got the Rotary engine carrier patch and all the right weapons otherwise. The Eindekker and a few other planes are all working well.

Is there a way to patch the DBW-1916 planes to function in ModAct 3.6?

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 01:04:15 AM »

Your more than WELCOME..  :D
Just glad to be of a wee bit of help. ;D

Glad I could sort it out this time, might not be so lucky next <Gunny> and we do not know yet if my fix broke anything for someone else. :D.

Hello again Unca-Fester, now you are asking something. :o

First of all usually a CTD at 70% can mean a incorrect entry in the air.ini so please double check that for the aircraft that crashed your game.  It can also happen if you add a stationary plane and forget one of the two part entries or if you remove a aircraft and forget to take out the stationary entry as well if all were added in the first instance.

DBW 1916 is based on a 4.10 game and essentially when it was assembled it was the install to have for WWI, whatever had gone before was altered to work in there along with adding maps and objects all purposely adapted for it.  Best bet now is BAT because like 1916 the aircraft in there have all been fixed by the experienced coders here to work in the newer 4.12 game.

Using any WWI type in any other set up is difficult as code alterations by Team Daidalos, they have the official code for IL-2 1946, generally have a detrimental effect on anything previously modded as they release subsequent updated versions of the game so the coders here have to try and alter previous mods to work in those updates.

Some aircraft can just be added to newer versions of the game, depends really on if they use code that was altered in any update and also the FM can be a issue.  Trial and error is usually the only way to find what does or does not work satisfactorily.

Some aircraft will have been labelled by the author to indicate what works were, not all though, and even if it was reported to work in someones install of that version it might not in another because every individual will have a mix of aircraft and other mods and some can conflict.

Best bet if you want to go the route you are is post your issue in the particualr thread where you get the aircraft and hope someone can provide a reply, posting your log of the CTD can usually help identify the issue, whether it can be fixed or not is another thing.

Hope that helps.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »

Yeah I tried out BAT, it didn't work out well.

Besides it's taking up nearly half of my remaining drive space, it was over 50 gigs without even having Checkpoint Charlie installed.  I have a number of other sims, and this was just too freaking big.

Our local internet provider's throughput is abysmal at times and downloading all of BAT was half a week long.

I also didn't like that the ocean and river/lake waves are too frenetic, and I didn't see much terrain or sky improvements even with the BAT DLL's.

So apparently a fair portion of those  aircraft I downloaded had stationary models that I decided to not install initially and that's what broke the loading at 70%.   big oops.. :-[

BTW, the IL-2 Caudrons both work great under 4.10.1 ModAct 3.6.   I'm hoping that maybe later I can peek under the hood of some of these aircraft and maybe make them work better,  I'm fairly good at adjusting FlightGear's YAsim FDM. I'm also hoping that I can port over a few of the WWI aircraft I've modded from Fighter Squadron WWI to IL2.

Here's hoping you/we/someone can someday put together a small(er), WWI only patch for IL-2.

My present Frankensteenian install is about 5.2 gigs and it still has too many WWII planes.

Thought I'd Post Script this,   I finally got the Farman's pack to load and run.  It apparently was an older mediafire link that was out of date. New one works like a charm.

David Prosser

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2018, 08:49:49 PM »

It'd sure be nice to see a Bristol Scout in the game if possible.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2018, 04:38:07 AM »

Hello again Unca-Fester, happy to know the Caudrons work for you, original link was for 4.10 so there should have been no issue in you ModAct install. ;)

The static aircraft are generally additional, even if the classes are in the mod add the main model entries first and fire up the game to ensure it works, ru properties for aircraft and weapons are not entirely necessary they just make what you read look better and statics are more use for mission building, again you do not need them to make your main mod work usually they are eye candy so to speak.

BAT is huge but covers all periods of aviation, if you only want WWI then the path you chose is best, however, with BAT any issues in the current downloads will most likely have been fixed by one or more of the main coders here, there are others but these are the most active so would be best for any advice on coding and FM work:

SAS~Storebror:  The boss, all coding in game and some 3d.
western0221:  3d and coding, mainly Jet War.
4S_Vega:  Coding, mainly Jet War
Dreamk: weapons packs and 3d aircraft (he has a particular liking for making the WWI stuff work as it did then, check out his threads)

There is no one specifically working on WWI other than to fix content for BAT, the likelihood of a WWI specific install other than that and the existing DBW 1916 going forward is practically zero I think but these are the main people who have been and are still around the forums and have a specific interest:

Models and skins:

gio963tto:  Probably the most prolific builder of aircraft here and responsible for most of the WWI models in game today.
Stalker:  Uses various names, made practically all the artwork for the models by Gio
Dreamk: Provided most of the WWI bombs and guns packs and is also still working on a WWI aircraft pack.
Uzin:  Map maker.

DBW 1916:

vpmedia:  Istvan put together DBW 1916 and later VP Modpack (WWII), skinner for all aircraft and certain WWI cockpits and objects.  Map work re-paints.

My work is basic and is more aimed at getting a working example in game for the 3d guys with its own slot, I use existing classes and FM renamed so hopefully they can work independently of other aircraft, others point the java to existing cockpit mods and such but I never managed to get that going successfully and find it causes less issues if I rename everything specific to the new type.  My downloads are not intended to be full replicas of the real thing merely placeholders for those who can do the work properly, cockpits are very basic and the earlier stuff just has moving stick and pedals.

Sadly most of what I upload remains as is so you are more than welcome to improve on things, usually I leave the sources in the download, I already gave you links to eclipse and Ntrk I think.

There are tutorials for maps, KevinP made a series, they should still be available at All Aircraft Simulations I think, just type his name in your browser and you should find your way there.  You can also alter existing ones, try the WWI map WIP thread here at SAS first, Uzin has been working on most of the recent ones as have some at AviaSkins.

I am not familiar with the game you have built for, suffice to say I would tinker with the stuff here already and adapt that until you get a feel for things before trying to import your aircraft, your choice though.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Unca-Fester

• Modder
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2018, 09:58:35 PM »

It'd sure be nice to see a Bristol Scout in the game if possible.

I can provide the 3D and textures, and it would be under the same EULA you folks all use, as they are presently Creative Commons non-commercial use.  Providing the conversion to .msh, the hierarchy, animation and java is a bit beyond my ken at this time.

I understand the need for LOD's and shadow bodies, as in FG recently just added OSG coding to handle 3D shadow shapes.

David Prosser

« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 06:03:50 PM »

Cool. I don't have any modding skills. But it'd be nice to see it in the game.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2021, 04:00:42 AM »

Spent some time over the weekend flying this beauty
A very capable aircraft  :P
It was only when observing the AI versions that the FM of the Caudron doesn't seem very accurate
When attacked the Caudrons dogfight like Nieuports  :D
From the figures I've seen the Caudrons FM should be more like a souped up Voison

I tried to think of a comparable aircraft to "swop" FM's with but couldn't think of one   :-X

It would have to be slightly faster and with that wingspan and two rotary engines would have considerably more altitude
I remember at the time Gio going with the decision to make it a (heavy ?) fighter

FM uses the fmd file from the Farmans with slight alterations and the WWI engin emd.

Slot is set for 'TypeFighter, TypeSturmovik'.   

Q:  How difficult would it be to change the FM and make the Caudron a Bomber & High Reconnaissance aircraft ?

Cheers

Alfie

PS   A question not a request  ;)

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 25 queries.