Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New PBP-1 gun sight for early- to mid-war Russian fighters  (Read 7003 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: New PBP-1 gun sight for early- to mid-war Russian fighters
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 02:41:40 PM »

GB,
I went over to Jero's long thread containing his 'pit rounding fixes. Lots of dead (as well as seemingly deleted??) links. Indeed that thread is an example of what can frustrate me in the modding community. One example: You want a mod; you see that you need to first get some other mod; you go there for that one, only to find that you need *yet another* mod. It's like chasing rats in a maze, what with all these disparate dependencies. Another: After a mod is released, the OP or other folk chime in with additional tweaks farther along in the thread, with virtually no description of what was done, or if it's a full update or requiring to have the original.

After a while, I have little idea of what's what anymore, and throw my hands up. I might just reinvent the wheel and do my own work.

That's why I tend to provide what might be termed excruciating detail in my mod threads, to obviate the kind of confusion that verbiage-lean, minimalist posts can too easily induce.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2020, 12:39:09 AM »

What you describe is the cross and delight of these communities, which someone has called "Creative Anarchy". You cannot have pure creativity without disorder, even if the latter ends up destroying the former.

Anyway, I can easily "distill" what you need to work on it, just let me know.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

BAGGER SE18

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2020, 08:13:23 AM »

Hi, I was wondering if I could use this mod for BAT without any bug.

cbradbury

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2020, 09:38:04 AM »

Hi, I was wondering if I could use this mod for BAT without any bug.

Well, why not try it? Just make sure that you do it as a BATMODS switchable install, so that if anything goes wrong you can just disable it again without affecting your original install. That's how I try stuff - I NEVER install things any other way.

BAGGER SE18

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 04:25:54 PM »

Oh im rlly sry I forgot to check this post, so you activate mods via JSGME ok.. well i tested it and it works well just some cockpit textrures are bit changed

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 11:02:31 PM »

I modded the stock cockpits, which is why the canopy framing here has the old, crude segmentation (not smoothly curved.)

Certain stock planes were modeled with a most aggravating problem... The gun sight was made as part of the cockpit itself, instead of as a completely separate object all its own. And so one or more (!) 'pit meshes require to have the original gun sight parts cut out, or else they would remain present along with my new sight.

In order to have the newer smooth canopy framing, someone would have to do what I did; chop out the original sight parts from these modded 'pit meshes.

This has become one aspect of cockpit modding which drives me nuts. Namely the old practice of sometimes incorporating gun sights into larger meshes that build significant parts of the 'pit. If only it were the case from the start that all cockpit modelers were wise enough to make all gun sights as their own self-contained elements. Then it would be so easy to jettison the old ones and plunk down their replacements, requiring no more than positioning/orienting appropriately in hier.him.

BAGGER SE18

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 03:33:39 AM »

Wow, all I understood was that you couldn't have this gunsight working properly if there were the smooth canopy texture, am i right ? But there's no prob this mod is insane I love it !!!  8)

just On BAT I can't play with the mig3 or I185 with this mod so I had to move the mig3 and I185 folders away to get the mod working.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »

If someone were motivated to remove the old, crappy sight parts from the relevant larger cockpit mesh or meshes, then one could use my improved sight with the newer, smoothly curved canopy mods.

I have other projects consuming my time and interest, otherwise I'd have done it.

My ideal is a state of affairs where all gun sights are their own self-contained objects, where the rest of the cockpit meshes have no sight parts present with them. In this way it's a snap to replace sights, be cause it involves si.ply altering the hier.him entry as required.

By way of example, take the P-40E and later. It has some sight parts tied to other meshes. In my existing mods for these 'pits I've taken care of that. The lend-lease P-40 sometimes had the Russian PBP-1 sight installed. I want to get around to offering this capability when one is flying for the VVS in the Kittyhawk, instead of having always the US made N-2 sight.

BAGGER SE18

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »

I understand, but i'm asking one question : how can I intensify the reticle brightness not using the key ? I'm not sure I understood this part but when will it be possible to have pbp1 gunsight for p40 ?

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2020, 06:09:29 AM »

Does BAT offer the ability to change the reticle brightness when you've assigned a key for doing so? If so, this reticle should be amply bright enough at the brightest setting. I've made the reticle graphic fade in brightness toward the outer part, as a way to represent the combination of its large angular dimension and a less efficient illumination of the entire pattern. I find no difficulty in its use.

BAGGER SE18

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2020, 08:13:09 AM »

I'd like to make it brighter
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.016 seconds with 27 queries.