Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DOF Nieuport 11 problem  (Read 3360 times)

SpongeBob

DOF Nieuport 11 problem
« on: February 05, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »

Hello,
I've just installed DOF Part 12. Trying Monty's campaign 'Eastern Front' I've detected some problems in the cockpit view of the Nieuport 11.
It seems that it has two wings (of course, it is a biplane), what I mean is that there are two upper wings, one with the correct skin, and another one after the first one with a grey skin. The cockpit also looks like an older version, not like other Nieuports new cockpits. See pictures below:

It's looks like a mixture of two different planes!!!

Moreover, when trying to takeoff, the plane begins to move and some seconds later it seems like it sinks some inches into the ground, leaning forward and crashing the propeller with the ground, ending like this (take a look at the half sunken wheels):

Can anyone confirm if it is a common error, or could be something with my install?
Thank you very much.

EHood

• Supporter
Re: DOF Nieuport 11 problem
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 03:51:03 PM »

The very same thing is happening here. This is what I saw when I tried the type in a QMB with an air start:

...complete with the dissolving wires and an extra set of cabane struts to go with the massive extension to the trailing edge of the upper wing. The aircraft seems to be flying normally, and it's appearance in exterior views is normal as well. I did not attempt a ground start or take-off.
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

SpongeBob

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »

Thank you very much EHood. So it seems it is nothing bad with my particular install. I'll try to find which update messed up this plane and I'll report it when I get something.

SpongeBob

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 01:15:06 PM »

Okey, I've reinstalled all DOF module, and checked stept by step if Nieuport 11 appeared as it should.
Unfortunately, the plane had the very same aspect as described in my first post, from DOF#04 update up to DOF#12, that is, showing the extension in the upper wing, the dissolving wires and the extra set of cabane struts  (as described by EHood).

Trying to fly the plane in the first mission of Monty's campaign 'Eastern Front' is imposible, since the gears sink into the ground, as shown in the following failed takeoff sequence:

Another (perhaps related) problem is that I cannot use Choks with this plane. Using the key assigned to Choks makes no response at all.

I include the final section of my logfile after trying the takeoff depicted above. I don't know if it is useful, but here it is...
Code: [Select]
INTERNAL ERROR: Can't open file 'PaintSchemes/Skins/Roland_CII/Roland CIIa_black_1916.bmp'
INTERNAL ERROR: Bitmap 'PaintSchemes/Skins/Roland_CII/Roland CIIa_black_1916.bmp' size: 0 != 512 | 1024
FM called 'FlightModels/LVG_BI.fmd:LVG_BI_FM' is being loaded from File: 'lvg_bi_fm'
FM called 'FlightModels/LVG_BI.fmd:LVG_BI_FM' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'lvg_bi_fm'
INTERNAL ERROR: Str2FloatClamp() - Clamped 300 -> 32 (delta = -268) to Range 0..32
INTERNAL ERROR: Can't open file 'PaintSchemes/decals/GermanWW1/balken1.tga'
WARNING: object 'PaintSchemes/decals/GermanWW1/balken1.tga' of class 'TTexture2D' not loaded
INTERNAL ERROR: Texture required
WARNING: object 'PaintSchemes/Cache/balken1.mat' of class 'TMaterial' not loaded
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerEIII.fmd:FokkerE3' is being loaded from File: 'fokkere3'
FM called 'FlightModels/FokkerEIII.fmd:FokkerE3' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'fokkere3'
WARNING: object 'PaintSchemes/decals/GermanWW1/balken1.tga' of class 'TTexture2D' not loaded
WARNING: object 'PaintSchemes/Cache/balken1.mat' of class 'TMaterial' not loaded
FM called 'FlightModels/TB-3-4M-17x.fmd' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'gui/game/buttons'
FM called 'FlightModels/U-2VSLBs21b.fmd:U2scout2_1B_FM' is being loaded from File: 'u2scout2_1b_fm'
FM called 'FlightModels/U-2VSLBs21b.fmd:U2scout2_1B_FM' is being loaded from Alternative File: 'u2scout2_1b_fm'
ERROR file: File users/basic1/Icons not found
Mission: campaign/ru/1916_eastern/EastFront01.mis is Playing
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'ritedoor'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Fire1'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Fire2'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Prop_Rod'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Gear_Crank'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zAzimuth1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zAzimuth1b'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zGas1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zSpeed1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zTurn1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zSlide1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zTOilIn1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zTOilOut1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zPressAir1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zManifold1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zTCil1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zClock1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zClock1b'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'zPressOil1a'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Z_Red1'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Z_Red2'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Z_Green1'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Z_Green2'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Gener_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'Generrot_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL3_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR3_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL1_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR1_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL6_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL7_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL8_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR6_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR7_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR8_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearL4_D0'
INTERNAL ERROR: HierMesh: Can't find chunk 'GearR4_D0'
warning: no files : music/takeoff
[Feb 7, 2016 7:23:19 PM]
-------------- END log session -------------

I don't understand very well the content of logfiles, but maybe the errors type HierMesh: Can't find chunk... can explain the issue about the Nieuport 11.
By the way, I've tried the same mission just changing the Nieuport 11 by a Nieuport 4, and it takes off without problems, and choks work fine.

SpongeBob

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »

Hello,
I've been out for some time (my job has been rather time consuming lately). Recently I decided to make a complete new install, and I've found that this old problem persists. After making a new copy of vanilla IL-2, installing maps (from MME-01 to MME-14) and just DOF module (DOF-01 to DOF-12b), Nieuport-11 continues to behave as I described in the posts above (franken cockpit, double upper wings, no chocks working, sinking into the ground when engine starts...). Fortunately I've managed to takeoff, just pulling backwards the joystick until the speed is enough to takeoff, but the appearance of the plane from the cockpit looks like there is something wrong.

Has anyone tried this plane recently? Can anyone confirm that the Nieuport-11 has a reworked cockpit just like the other models of the series? Does anyone else experience the same problems with chocks and takeoff in the first mission of Monty's campaign 'Eastern front'?

Just curious about that, not a big problem. In other respects, I'm totally graceful towards Monty and the rest of the team for all the work involved in this project. Thank you!

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 10:35:03 AM »

Hello,
I've been out for some time (my job has been rather time consuming lately). Recently I decided to make a complete new install, and I've found that this old problem persists. After making a new copy of vanilla IL-2, installing maps (from MME-01 to MME-14) and just DOF module (DOF-01 to DOF-12b), Nieuport-11 continues to behave as I described in the posts above (franken cockpit, double upper wings, no chocks working, sinking into the ground when engine starts...). Fortunately I've managed to takeoff, just pulling backwards the joystick until the speed is enough to takeoff, but the appearance of the plane from the cockpit looks like there is something wrong.

Has anyone tried this plane recently? Can anyone confirm that the Nieuport-11 has a reworked cockpit just like the other models of the series? Does anyone else experience the same problems with chocks and takeoff in the first mission of Monty's campaign 'Eastern front'?

Just curious about that, not a big problem. In other respects, I'm totally graceful towards Monty and the rest of the team for all the work involved in this project. Thank you!

Good to see you back, SpongeBob, and thank you for refreshing this thread. I should try that now and then with a few other problems I've mentioned in the past. Of course, I do appreciate how busy everyone is. Nevertheless, I am hoping that one of the threads might catch the right person's eye at the right time.

I'll add my thanks to Monty and others who've worked up DOF as well. On the whole, along with TJA and TGA, DOF still performs excellently in my CUP installation.
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 06:41:26 AM »

Interesting.....
Gave the Nieuport 11 a short flight to see if any of your problems happened to me.....

Taking off

Landing

I think the main problem is that the 11 is a collection of parts from other a/c, some fit nicely, other parts not so well.....
Your description was first spotted Nov 2012

reply# 23
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,27969.12.html

vpmedia anwered  #746
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,26088.msg315687.html#msg315687

No one's doing much WW I tweaking anymore  :(      so if you find the 11 irritating...try flying the 10 or the 17  :D
17b is my favourite  :-*

Cheers

Alfie

Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

SpongeBob

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »

Hello again,
thanks EHood and Alfie for your replies.

Regarding the takeoff problem, it seems that it only happens in the airfield of Belarus, where Monty's 'Eastern Front' is set. I've tried to takeoff from other airfields in other maps, and this strange sinking into the ground doesn't happen. I could make a proper takeoff just as Alfie shows in his pictures. However, the plane still shows a weird behaviour. Just after a mission is loaded, and looking from the cockpit, the plane makes a strange movement, as if it was going down some inches. Another funny thing is that chocks don't work with this plane (they work fine with other Nieuport models).

But the main problem with this plane is the cockpit appearance. Here you can see shots from the cockpits of all Nieuport models in my install:

As you can see, all models seem to be right, with small or big variations with each other, and fine details such as girls pictures attached to some cockpits. They probably belong to the Nieuport update version made by Mission_bug, see:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,48769.0.html

However, something happens to the Nieuport 11. As you can see from the pictures, the cockpit seems to be an older version, it doesn't fit the other models' cockpits. When I move the mouse, the wires that connect the upper and lower wings begin to vanish, and even do some parts of the wings themselves. There is also an extra grey wing over the upper wing, and some grey bars that connect the upper wing and the fuselage, as if they belonged to other plane. All these items are labelled with red letters in the images above.

Well, I just wondered if someone can confirm if his/her Nieuport 11 seems to be the one it should be. I really doubt I have the correct version. Moreover, the Nieuport 11 has been used by Monty to be the 'stars' of his campaigns 'Symbol of French Pride' and 'The Eastern Front' so I doubt that he used a 'bad' version. It is a pity, because the other Nieuport models look so wonderful!!!

Thanks in advance to the one that solves this mistery!

EHood

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »

SpongeBob's reply #7 nicely clarifies what, for me, are the main problems. The mismatched cabane struts and upper wing center section, along with the dissolving flying wires, are too bizarre and much too obvious to be ignored, and this mars the experience of flying Monty's otherwise very enjoyable campaigns. The only remedy I can think of, aside from some sort of correction to the Nieuport 11 itself, is to use the FMB to replace the type in each individual mission in each campaign, which brings me to another of SpongeBob's remarks. I cannot imagine Monty using such a heavily flawed model in the original mission files; this suggests that the files in my CUP/DOF installation for that one, single Nieuport type somehow got bunged up either prior to or during the installation process.

For what it's worth, back in February 2016, I (and SpongeBob) also reported similar problems with a couple of other aircraft here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,50327.msg549398.html#msg549398
A ya tsi-tsalagi.

SpongeBob

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2016, 11:22:46 AM »

Hello EHood,
thank you for supporting this thread. As I told you, I've made a new install from scratch, starting from vanilla Il-2 and downloading all files again. I've just installed WAW, and when reviewing the Curtiss Hawk III, I've checked that the problem with the vanishing wings and struts  persists.
Hope that someone else can confirm the problems with Nieuport 11 in DOF and Curtiss Hawk III in WAW, so it can be checked and corrected if possible by wiser guys than me.
Thank you!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 27 queries.