Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestion to follow the trail of installations  (Read 1390 times)

SpongeBob

Suggestion to follow the trail of installations
« on: January 27, 2016, 03:19:51 PM »

Hello!
Just thinking... Not my intention to complain, but with so many installation files (MME up to 14, #WAW up to 18, etc) it is getting hard to follow the trail of which files have we installed already.

Could it be possible to add a small padnote txt file on each new installation file from now on indicating what we have just installed. It could be located inside the corresponding #DOF, #WAW, etc folder (or CUP root folder for Maps files), be named "!0000_version", so it would appear in the first place, and should contain a brief text informing which file you have just installed (for example: "Current version - #WAW Pt18B").
When a new file was installed, that txt file should be replaced by the last one. Thus, it would be easy to know if our installation is updated, isn't it? For the moment I usually do it by myself, having a list with the files I have installed, but this would be an automatic way to have it, and you could detect easily silly accidents like extracting files in the wrong folder.

Sorry, English is not my native language, I hope I have managed to explain myself.
Thank you!

David Prosser

Re: Suggestion to follow the trail of installations
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 05:57:57 PM »

That's a good idea.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 01:37:55 AM »

Good idea.

hadji4

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:13:13 PM »

Good idea.

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 06:21:39 PM »

Great idea.

Dimlee

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 12:14:21 PM »

Thumbs up.
Today I have no idea what WAW version I have installed. Forgot to make any notes earlier in 2015.

Cloyd

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 01:14:56 PM »

Here's how I keep track.

The name of my CUP install is:
CUP MAP14 DOF10 TGA4 WAW18 JTW9_CURRENT

Every time I update it, I change the name. It's simple, no need to ask somebody to keep track of it for me. CURRENT just means that is the one I'm using right now, doesn't necessarily mean it's up to date (no WAW18B, and no OPTIONAL add-ons).

I have another install called:
CUP MAP12 DOF7 WAW12 JTW6B DISASTER BACKUP

Cloyd
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

PapaG39

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 02:20:57 PM »

That's very simple Cloyd...
Never thought of that, but I like it...
I didn't know that you could keep changing the games name  without screwing up the
launch exe. 
I guess you could also just add a folder with note pad inside & just edit the note pad each time
you add or delete something....
Or..just use the "extra Read-me" folder that I recently noticed  after one of the WAW new updates.. 
A Pilots Prayer:  "May you not run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas all at the same time".

SpongeBob

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 02:47:37 PM »

Thank you all who support my suggestion.
Indeed it isn't difficult to keep a record of the installation. Everyone can make it their own way.
What I am thinking is something that automatically register the last installation just to prevent human errors.
Just imagine you are out for two months... Back again you discover three or four new updates on each era. Okay! You download them, begin to install... hep! this is taking some time, I am getting a beer... Oops, I don't remember if I unzipped the third downloaded file or not. Not a problem, I will unzip it again. Or, simpler, I look at "!000_version". Yes! It's been installed, let's go on with fourth file.

I would thank if this cheap suggestion could be implemented just to forget about keeping a record or changing names every new install.
 ;)

Gatrasz

• Supporter
  • Dead but dreaming...
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »

So, basically, it would be like renaming the .txt file included already in each CUP module download (which goes in the Il-2 1946 root folder) with an identical name (i.e. #WAW, #DOF, #TGA, #JTW) ? Why not... (just hope the one you forgot to unzip is the last :D )
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 25 queries.