Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Map of the Dodecanese Islands - Almost Done  (Read 32174 times)

redko

Re: Map of the Dodecanese Islands - Almost Done
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2011, 03:49:48 AM »

Yes agree with that. More blocks.

I'm thinking to create industrial blocks that could match for both ETO and PTO, and why not MTO after all.
We are lacking here a good step by step tutorial, we have for planes for exemple but not for 3d stardard objects. I have to check over so many different post to collect data to make it.

But i'm optimistic. Okinawa repaint was my first mod ever....i never moded anything before this, il2 or not...i learned it in 2 weeks ;à.

We would need also some more typical houses for Mto, like grecs and turkish lands. It's a good project. We really need more 3d objects bilders here, Canon and Mixx aren't enough.

redko

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2011, 03:56:38 AM »

I was thinking to something.

First i leard how to make objects with 3dsmax. But then, it would be interresting that you, Agracier, Kapteeni and all the other guys who like to create maps in original parts of the world create a kind of data base pics for WW2 and little later period. Colors and B&W pics, models that could be used to create new houses and blocks.

I started this for Okinawa/rest of Japan and Korea, but i take times to look for good quality pics, city views....if we join together we could save time.

After all, create a house is just a matter of cubes....i'm not going to make planes or pits. Once you learned how the create, texture and export to il2, then the work is going to be easy.

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Act quickly,think slowly
    • IL2 FREE Mods for the IL2 On-Line Community
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2011, 04:17:13 AM »

Here is a preview of a map that is coming along surprisingly well. It is of the Aegean Sea and the Turkish coast, mainly showing the Dodecanese Islands. These islands, mostly former Ottoman Turk possessions, were awarded to Italy after the Great War and remained Italian until after WWII.

Just saw this and i would like to correct agracier that the Islands were Hellenic for thousand of years before they were captured by the Ottoman invaders from Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodecanese

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2011, 05:42:26 AM »

Here is a preview of a map that is coming along surprisingly well. It is of the Aegean Sea and the Turkish coast, mainly showing the Dodecanese Islands. These islands, mostly former Ottoman Turk possessions, were awarded to Italy after the Great War and remained Italian until after WWII.

Just saw this and i would like to correct agracier that the Islands were Hellenic for thousand of years before they were captured by the Ottoman invaders from Asia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dodecanese

Of course, in the light of long term history, the Aegean Islands were indeed more Hellenic than anything else ... the same could be said about the land areas now comprising the Turkish coastline. Long until after the Roman Empire was fractured, these areas were Hellenic in civilization, language and culture ...

But in terms of IL2, and that means when air power became a military function, the Aegean Islands had been Turkish ruled, while not necessarily culturally assimilated, since around the time of the fall of Constantinople, meaning several centuries ...

I'm all for taking conditions in Classical Antiquity into consideration, but as far as Il2 goes, it's just a tad too far removed to be really relevant ... ha ha

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »

Then you did also a mistake, because they were controlled by the Italians then ;)
ha-ha :D

no offense ;)

cheers, ;)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2011, 08:20:22 AM »

Then you did also a mistake, because they were controlled by the Italians then ;)

The islands were part of the Ottoman Empire in the 19th century as a semi-autonomous region until after the Italian-Turkish war, which started in 1912. It was during this war that the first uses of aircraft were applied to military purposes ... after this war Italy was awarded occupation of the islands and after the Great War more formal possession and rule.

And also note that I've spoken of Turkish possessions. I know well enough not to get into any kind of national disputes regarding European borders, languages or ethnicity ...

StG77_HaDeS

• Character is destiny
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2011, 04:57:44 AM »

agracier,
You wrote exactly: "These islands, mostly former Ottoman Turk possessions, were awarded to Italy after the Great War and remained Italian until after WWII."

And i added/corrected that they were primarily Hellenic since you didn't write the time-line you referred to. So i think i didn't do anything wrong and any further discussion is pointless. The most we can agree is that we have different point of view or the usual language-barrier, :) So everything is fine.

Cheers, :)

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2011, 01:17:38 AM »

Any news?
:)

This one is on back burner as I'm working with kapteeni on another map, one that can still be finished before summer. Dodecanese, done halfway properly, would take considerably longer.

redko

« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2011, 01:16:51 PM »

Any news?
:)

This one is on back burner as I'm working with kapteeni on another map, one that can still be finished before summer. Dodecanese, done halfway properly, would take considerably longer.

No matter how much it takes....we wait Monsieur Agracier  :)

badderger

« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2012, 01:39:49 PM »

Hi Agracier. Been a while since weve heard about this project. Just curious, this is not a "hurry up" by any means. I know you have a lot of other projects so I was just wondering how this one fit in. Thanks for all your hard work!

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

Hi Agracier. Been a while since weve heard about this project. Just curious, this is not a "hurry up" by any means. I know you have a lot of other projects so I was just wondering how this one fit in. Thanks for all your hard work!

I know ... it's a map that I would love to finish as well ... it just seems that other maps have come in the way so to speak, and been completed first ... mainly because they were ever so much easier to populate and because I was part of a good team. I'm talking about the Finland Lapland and soon to be released Suomussalmi map sets ... 

But it is still on the burner and has not been shelved or forgotten.

Marruecos has been shelved though should you be wondering perhaps. I id some work on it a few months ago, but the area was too large and the landscapes too diverse. There just weren't enough slots to do a halfway decent job of texturing the map.

Pursuivant

« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:19 PM »

Marruecos has been shelved though should you be wondering perhaps. I id some work on it a few months ago, but the area was too large and the landscapes too diverse. There just weren't enough slots to do a halfway decent job of texturing the map.

Sounds like a map that needs to be split into multiple smaller parts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 26 queries.