Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Selector stopped working - stuck in WAW...  (Read 3638 times)

33lima

Selector stopped working - stuck in WAW...
« on: June 14, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »

For no particular reason, but shortly after Vista 64 did an update, Selector (the version that came with CUP, AFAIK, namely 3.1.2) won't run - it appears in the taskbar, bottom of screen, but doesn't fully load.

CUP itself still ran fine, running Il2.exe directly, but is stuck in WAW (not a big deal as that's what I play).

I located (here) and installed the latest version of Selector - 3.1.3 - and installed that, over-writing. Bad idea. After that, Selector didn't work, AND my CUP install of Il-2 wouldn't run any more either, failing with the Il-2/6DoF error. Windows Restore solved the latter problem, but the Selector is still not loading.

Not massively bothered as I use other sims for WW1 and jets, but if anyone has any suggestions to restore Selector to its former glory, I'd appreciate it.

Strangely, the earlier version of Selector in my DBW 1.71 install still runs just fine.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Selector stopped working - stuck in WAW...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:56 PM »

Sounds like it's time for a Vista reinstall for you.
No kidding.

The IL-2 Selector is a C++ application with (statically internally) linked MFC libraries.
That said, it's a pure Win32 application with no further dependencies.
You can check this using a resource explorer: IL-2 Selector.exe needs nothing but Kernel32.dll and User32.dll to run.

When that fails, it leaves you with two possible reasons, both of them meaning no good if you didn't do that yourself (and I assume you didn't, because otherwise you would not have posted this):
  • A group policy setting prohibits the selector to run.
    This could have been done either by you (doesn't look like), by some virus/trojan (unlikely) or your system administrator (if so you hopefully expect no help here since it would mean that you must not run IL-2 on that PC).
  • Your PC is infected by some virus which obfuscated Windows Core parts (Kernel32.dll and/or User32.dll) and Microsoft's "Malicious Software Removal Tool" which shipped with your monthly update just got you rid of that virus, but at the cost of loosing lots of Core Windows functionality.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

33lima

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 04:56:53 AM »

Thanks Mike! Strange, that the earlier version of Selector in my DBW install still runs fine.

Per Windows Explorer I seem to have a plentiful supply of Kernel32 and User32 dlls, distributed over various Windows OS subfolders.

I'll muddle through in the meantime as everything else seems fine and WAW is what I like and want most from CUP. Better just make sure everything is backed up just in case Der Tag comes sooner rather than later!

Ivor

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 02:24:07 PM »

Yesterday my CUP Selector also stopped working exactly as you described 33lima. I'm running a Vista 32 system. I don't like the looks of this odd coincidence.

33lima

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 01:54:56 PM »

Yes, it's a bit worrying, Catahoulak9. My DBW 1.71 install's Selector is still working fine. I recently tried over-writing the files selector.exe and il2fb.ini in my CUP install, with the ones in the CUP module that contains these files, but that makes no difference.

And at the risk of tempting fate, my Windows (Vista 64) is still not showing any signs of other probl~@@@@@{{})_+!¬¬¬.

(sorry, could not resist that!)

Peachy9

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »

Just to add to the mix, since the latest updates I also have had issues with launching the game through the selector in windows 7 (64 is). Namely it just launches and then I have to end task on the launcher as the game never loads. It's random, I.e. One in 2 or 3 attempts it launches fine otherwise it just hangs.

Knochenlutscher

• Flying Ass Clown #10
  • Modder
  • aka Segfej
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »

The latest Vista Updates caused some settings to dance around the table.
I can't use Vista Aero and the Transparency functions, then my BF2 refuses to load, my gfx card
setting is the same as BF2, but on startup I end then with empty black screen.
If Vista default is Theme or anything older classic Windows style, the problem with some old Game exe's dissapears.
Don't know what that Update was really for  :P
i.e when having no Selectors working
Kept dissapearing, no selection Menu and loading slowly as hell in Taskbar 2-8%.
I accidently clicked Desktoptheme deactivating on at compatibillity mode .exe's
before the update, all worked. Accepting Update to go. After restart, meh, meh... nope...
None of the newer Selector worked. The finding out why took me a day of my life.
In my rage I completely deleted my previous Cup, to find unticking this worked wonders
at Il-2 Selector.

What I think was culprit at my install that it reactivated some services I unticked.
The strange is, I never experienced such invasive Update-behaviour before.
But, there was another DesktopTheme Update somewhere in the past, it causes glitches to
any Adobe Acrobat and Adobe Reader, dissapearing Menu, weird stuff.
I guess the workaround was to fully disable visual addons in Services.
Wiseman : "Did you speak the exact words?" Ash : "Look, maybe I didn't say every single little tiny syllable, no. But basically I said them, yeah."

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 01:43:40 AM »

I also have had issues with launching the game through the selector in windows 7 (64 is). Namely it just launches and then I have to end task on the launcher as the game never loads. It's random, I.e. One in 2 or 3 attempts it launches fine otherwise it just hangs.
Totally unrelated.

The Vista issues were apparently caused by a Windows Update that carries the potential to kill a whole lot of windows applications:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30883681/mfc-program-hangs-broken-comctl32-dll-after-update-kb3059317-on-vista

Following the description on stackoverflow.com concerning that Comctl32.dll update, IL-Selector will likely face the very same issue like reported in the link above, since even though it doesn't call "SetRedraw()" directly from within "OnInitDialog()", it does call "SendMessage(..., WM_SETREDRAW, ..., ...)" there, which should just have the same result.
It's odd that Microsoft intentionally breaks "SetRedraw()" in a windows update, but so be it...
There'll be an updated Selector available within the coming weeks, please stay tuned.
Since I don't have Vista on any of my PCs I'll have to rely on those who reported here to see whether we get that nasty glitch sorted.

Another way to (temporarily) solve this issue should be to uninstall KB3059317 update from Vista.

Best regards - Mike

kingsley

• Retired
  • My House Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 05:49:38 AM »

This little bit of advice is for vista/win7.
1st turn automatic updates to ether notify but do not download and install or turn it off.
2nd Go to askwoody.com and he has the list of updates to remove and what they have caused havoc and what not to install.
3rd go to viper.com and tweakhound.com read what these places have they have good advice.
4th do not get win10 I have the final rc release testing it on a non internet computer and trying to change the settings for updates the blackhats in Redmond, WA. have set it where you have no choice you get the updates whether you like it or not.

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 09:30:50 AM »

Mates,

This is a quick shot attempt to solve the Vista Patch issue.
Could those who had issues with the Selector after installation of the Vista June 2015 Patches please download and try this version and give feedback whether or not it solved the issue?

Thanks.

Download Link: https://www.mediafire.com/download/d6dnddvw84wdqe0/IL2_Selector_3.1.4.zip
Official Version can be found here: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,16403.0.html

Best regards - Mike

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »

Mike,

Thank you for such a quick and easy fix! Just the though of reloading Vista again made me throw-up on my keyboard. This selector 3.1.4 loads and works, but doesn't have C.U.P. options on the menu. Would you have a C.U.P. version you could post? My il2fb.ini was lost with my stupid attempts to fix this myself.

Thanks again, David

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »

Success!!

I found a CUP il2fb.ini, copied it over, fired up the 3.1.4 selector and everything works now. I'm running a Vista Home Premium 32 and had automatic updates turned on, until now.

Owe you a beer Mike.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 29 queries.