Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Essex Angled Deck Carrier  (Read 44764 times)

karla

• Modder
Re: Essex Angled Deck Carrier
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2015, 10:05:31 AM »

western0221 and I were discussing the number of faces allowed by IL-2 graphics engine. He advised me that the "too many faces" error writes many lines to the error log file and slows the game down and he also thought that there could be more excess faces in CVA-31 than Blender indicates. I intend fixing one obvious source and contemplating also changing the way the new crew are structured. But, I think that the large number of faces are actually tolerated by the IL-2 engine and if there is a problem with a particular system I would recommend using Ranwers old crew and/or de-activating the error log. I will do the fixes and amend the read.me soon.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2015, 01:37:08 PM »

Even though turn-off to write out error log file, fps dropping or screen flickering may continue.
With some light effects, Too many faces objects make obviously strange behavier in IL-2's 3D graphic engine.
All the MOD and Objects keep the rule of this old low limited game engine.

And when the player has mistaken something in installing this MOD or related another MOD , IL-2 becomes crashing, he has to look at the error log what he failed to solve the problem.
But if the error log is filled by Too many faces lines, he may not be able to find the line showing the true reason of its crashing.

karla

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 02:22:42 PM »

@western - I've checked the number of faces on the carrier - especially the superstructure where I added loads of detail. Numbers of faces (they are all triangulated) were high - but not exceeding the limit. That is, except for underway replenishment which has been changed to keep number of faces low. Underway replenishment is an optional feature.

Also the new crew had a high face count, but it was decided to leave the high detailed new crew as they are. The recommendation is that if they cause a problem to use low resolution - or no - crew. Crew is an optional feature. This is now in the updated read.me text.

There are minor rendering/lighting effects on the carrier but it is thought to be due to the Blender exporter (see https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,44899.0.html). For example, the flight decks have low numbers of faces but show the rendering/lighting effect the most. The overall quality was considered to be tolerable.

Best Wishes.

deSAD

• aviaskins.com
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2015, 02:30:56 PM »

Bon Homme Richard looks nice and crisp on your system.
Thank you for the compliment :D However, I must admit that the image is slightly 'photoshoped' :-\

I see, like me, you prefer aircraft parking near stern to give a lengthy taxi run to catapult.
I can not say that I 'prefer' :-\ In fact, I just do not experimented with a different arrangement of aircraft on the deck ;)

It would be better if we could park along deck edges facing inward - in fact I will ask in the Making Mods forum.
Like this?..

But is it possible to implement in the game? :-[

There is an error in the read.me for underway replenishment installation. Ignore the changes to the ships.ini file. I'll update soon.
I understood. Thank you. And thank you for your work 8)

Ranwers

• SAS Team
  • FiFi
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:36:41 AM »

Thanks Karla for big work.
The best carrier.

I have two questions - see the picture.
1) What name have catapult smoke effect (i have bronze-rusty color- needed white)
2) This part (in window) moving not correct.

Remember, that it takes considerably longer to create a mod than a pretty screen shot

karla

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 06:17:43 AM »

@Ranwers Thank you for the praise, coming from you it's much appreciated.

1) Lucky you to have steam from catapult - I can't get any at all. One of the fixes I tried was to copy steam effects directly into carrier 3do folder, it could be that affecting the colour. I can't test (because I can't get steam) so I suggest you remove or de-activate .../Ubisoft/IL-2 1946_4122m/#SAS/USSBonHommeRichardCVA31_1965_vxxxx/3do/Effects 'Ships' and 'TEXTURES' folders to see if the colour changes (keep the ../Tracers/ShipTrail wake effect). The catapult steam effect should already be in your '!SAS_Engine_Mod' folder. Let us know the outcome please.

2) The JBDs are being looked at by Kingsley (western is busy at present). Apparently, it's a relatively simple fix - but beyond me.

Ranwers

• SAS Team
  • FiFi
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »

The catapult steam effect should already be in your '!SAS_Engine_Mod' folder. Let us know the outcome please.

In !SAS_Engine_Mod_27\3do\Effects\TEXTURES i have CatSteam.tga - but when I change this texture in game nothing change...
Remember, that it takes considerably longer to create a mod than a pretty screen shot

karla

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 03:11:36 PM »

Remove the 'CatSteam.tga' and associated files from the carrier folder - not the  !SAS_Engine_Mod folder. The  !SAS_Engine_Mod should be left untouched but you can make changes to the carrier catapult effects files.

If this doesn't work test the !SAS_Engine_Mod 'CatSteam.tga' file by editing it in a graphics program (I use Gimp www.gimp.org - every bit as good as Photoshop and free). Change the colour of the steam to a vivid colour and check the outcome. Otherwise, I can't think of any source to your problem (except .... hmmm ..... interference from high vertex numbers and the IL-2 rendering engine).

deSAD

• aviaskins.com
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 01:09:46 AM »

In !SAS_Engine_Mod_27\3do\Effects\TEXTURES i have CatSteam.tga - but when I change this texture in game nothing change...
Maybe this file - CatSteam.tga - you still have in some other folders than !SAS_Engine_Mod_27\3do\Effects\TEXTURES?

kingsley

• Retired
  • My House Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2015, 07:38:30 AM »

The blast shields getting closer to full usage so far got them to half way and 3/4 off and on there seems to be a coflict in the language that was used to write but narrowing it down soon I hope. Or in a famous saying 2 weeks

karla

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 10:32:16 AM »

Thanks kingsley, I hope you get them sorted then BHR will be fully operational. I think I'll stick some 'hydraulic jacks' on them to add to the realism ...

Stainless

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2015, 01:40:18 AM »

I'm intrigued.

Did you do a shadow bake on the mesh? 

#

And you've just added more workload to my flight sim.

I'm going to HAVE to add an effect for the bilge pumps as well now.  Bastard.  ;D

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 27 queries.