Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: My experience with IL-2 and Stuttering  (Read 26531 times)

dsmith71

Re: My experience with IL-2 and Stuttering
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2015, 01:56:43 AM »

Which sampling rate did you had set?
I remember Tiger's sounds crackling on sampling rate of 44KHz but working well on 22KHz.
I cant remember. My conf.ini was configured for Tiger's mod according to the CUP instruction manual.

Chupacabras84

« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2015, 05:29:15 AM »

In which case it was set to 22KHz.
As to the tigers flybys I also have this issue, if you set "Flyby=0" you will have sound playing like usual so its not a big issue for me.
I still need to look into it since Tigers sounds is my favourite IL2 mod and I want it all.

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2015, 06:24:24 AM »

22KHz is right.

Tigers flyby sounds are the best ever!

Without Tigers flyby sounds you don't really need that soundmod (my opinion  ;)).

Regards, Gerhard
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2015, 08:23:41 AM »

This litle change will help:

TexCompress=0   to   1

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2015, 12:45:30 PM »

... as I already said:

SamplingRate=2  <=== replace with =1

=2  <=== 44100 khz sampling rate <=== cracking sounds with UV3 ...  :(

=1  <=== 22050 khz sampling rate <=== no cracking sounds with UV3  ;)

dsmith71

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2015, 01:25:43 AM »

Well I cant participate further in this my HDD is small and there is not much free space so I had to delete buggy IL-2 and put an end to the tweaking so i can play another game. I will be keeping an eye on the SAS forums in case there are genuine performance improvements in the future otherwise it will remain on the shelf. Thank you all for taking the time to help. ;)

wolfiz

• IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 Modders and News
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2015, 12:54:27 PM »

The number of air.ini entries does affect performance significantly. as every plane's .emd is loading into memory on game start, regardless of whether it is used or not.

Apparently memory reserved for terrain generation is affected past a certain number in air.ini, causing a lot of memory swapping and stuttering, especially when zooming in toward the horizon, my fps was dropping to 1-2 fps on full zoom using FOV mod.

The other issue, performance when viewing dense city .msh, is simply a matter of raw CPU power, MB bus speed and MB memory speed. I have been working a little on a simple workaround that replaces some of the static building msh with the smallest static object msh in IL2, which now renders invisible, some of the buildings are gone, but factory areas are complete with a longer range LOD, and FPS is much better.

I plan to work on that a little more the next few weeks, and see if it is practical to eventually put together a small upload package.

decipher

• Missioneer
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2015, 05:16:56 PM »

The number of air.ini entries does affect performance significantly. as every plane's .emd is loading into memory on game start, regardless of whether it is used or not.

Apparently memory reserved for terrain generation is affected past a certain number in air.ini, causing a lot of memory swapping and stuttering, especially when zooming in toward the horizon, my fps was dropping to 1-2 fps on full zoom using FOV mod.

i think this is some very important insight and something that should come into focus on the future of CUP and probably il-2 1946 in general.
in terms of how to deal with this and possible fixes, workarounds, etc.

Chupacabras84

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2015, 06:02:34 PM »

how to deal with this and possible fixes, workarounds...
As for now there is lightened air.ini which provides user with set of different air.inis allowing him to chose planeset that is  relevant to particular war theatre, time period or just allowing him to play stock game with CUP additions.
While this works for now, its already quite tightly packed and few more WaW packs down the road and I might not be able to fit it all in while keeping the performance.
Obvious solution would be to rewrite how IL2 loading those files (on demand/ on the fly/ by reading mis file/ via switcher in game) but who will take on it thats another story.

wolfiz

• IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 Modders and News
« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2015, 07:27:41 AM »

It suddenly dawned on me:

I was building a small mission from scratch in FMB on the Malta map. After I added an extra flight of a/c, I suddenly noticed EXTREME frame drop that wasn't there before.whenever zooming to the horizon with FOV mod. This has been a problem I've noticed many times. We're talking from 30-60 fps to 1-2 fps; always when zooming my view on the horizon.

Here's a typical high zoom view from a static camera:

On a hunch I renamed my MAPMODS folder so it loads very highest in my MOD folder. I have to mention I have a very large _tex folder: clouds, HD land, Bender's water, all the landscape related mats etc. etc.. Now Maps/_tex has the highest loading priority.

Now the stutter on the horizon is gone!

This HAS to be an issue related to memory allocation on mission load. The question is, which specific files were affecting frame rate? Map textures in general? Road. cloud, sky textures and all the various terrain and sky.mat files? Do a/c and objects always have memory priority regardless of their load order? Not sure yet.

This weekend I'm going to try an experiment with an "overloaded" air.ini file, and see if I still keep the consistent frame rate with MAPMODS/maps/_tex still loading highest. Theoretically, the extra air.ini entries that are displacing memory should in turn be displaced by prioritized map textures. I presume the game will discard air.ini fmds that aren't specifically in the mission, but only testing will answer that question.

This should give a better idea of how to deal with performance issues that aren't related to raw CPU power, and the number of vertices in a scene the CPU has to process, another topic for discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 26 queries.