Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Fix_Buildings  (Read 18212 times)

Aviar

Re: Fix_Buildings
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 12:50:29 PM »

Jeronimo,

I also wanted to ask you about some of your files. I noticed you had some cranes and towers in your mod but not in your screenshots. The reason I ask is because I already use another mod with improved cranes and towers and I would not want to overwrite these files. The mod I am currently using is here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,43024.0.html

Are these the same ones in your mod?

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz + Asus Z97-C Motherboard + 16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz + NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB + Creative SB ZX SBX + Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers + 27" AOC LED - 2752 + Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard + CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals + Logitech G13 Gameboard + GoFlight GF-T8 Module + WIN 8.1

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2015, 01:42:47 AM »

Jeronimo,
I've just addressed the weird lighting on a few hangars that you've worked on here. (My thread--first asking about the weird roof lighting--is in The Lounge.) This required to fix a lot of badly defined surface normals, and add extra vertices so as to make the required surfaces. I was planning to release this mod soon.

(In the case of the huge Kiev hangar, My main fix was the bad material mapping for the 2nd LOD--by simply removing that LOD. And I did slightly change the shape of the 2nd lowest LOD, and tweak its texture a tiny bit, all for a smoother transition.)

If those buildings with the curved surfaces have been fixed in these respects, the only one I would have to offer--so far--is the Pacific building Hangar_PBY, which is a low, boxy thing with no curves.

I don't want to have unnecessary versions of the same buildings floating about. ;)

First of all I would like to apologize, did not know that you working on this, was sorry.

The reason for the problem of lighting in this case was caused by the union of the vertices of the outer and inner faces of the roof area.

In the mod I've solved it, but only for the LOD_0, the rest have remained unchanged them.

Jeronimo,

I also wanted to ask you about some of your files. I noticed you had some cranes and towers in your mod but not in your screenshots. The reason I ask is because I already use another mod with improved cranes and towers and I would not want to overwrite these files. The mod I am currently using is here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,43024.0.html

Are these the same ones in your mod?

Aviar

Uuppss! If they are the same, they trespassed by mistake, I also I already use them, I'm going to correct the download pack, thank you. :-[

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2015, 01:49:17 AM »

OK, fixed, thanks for the report Aviar. ;)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2015, 02:14:44 AM »

Jero,
No need to apologize whatsoever. I certainly have no 'exclusive rights'. ;) My first priority is fixing stuff for *me*. If I think anything might be useful to others, I'll make it available.

You've addressed the worst aspect of the couple of curved-roof hangars that I've worked on. But it seems I've tweaked several other lesser ills that you haven't. But that's probably not enough to warrant uploading, with your improvements taking care of the more important part.

Cheers!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 02:21:02 AM »

But it seems I've tweaked several other lesser ills that you haven't. But that's probably not enough to warrant uploading, with your improvements taking care of the more important part.

... what about a mix ...?

Jero's improvements + yours ...?    ===>   win/win result for everybody ...!  :P

PA_Jeronimo

• SAS Honourable Member
  • I like curves
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 02:28:22 AM »

But it seems I've tweaked several other lesser ills that you haven't. But that's probably not enough to warrant uploading, with your improvements taking care of the more important part.

... what about a mix ...?

Jero's improvements + yours ...?    ===>   win/win result for everybody ...!  :P

+1

MrMoonlight

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 08:25:15 AM »

This is great stuff, Jero. The older this sim is getting, the better looking it gets, thanks to guys like you. Your efforts are much appreciated.

Aviar

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 12:51:46 PM »

I agree that the more improvements the better. Even a small improvement can make a big difference. Let me give you an example.

Some of the hangar floors are flawed. they 'flicker' and even sometimes disappear. This looks very ugly, especially when you are looking down at an airfield from your cockpit and you see this nasty flickering from these hangars.

As a mission builder, many times I won't even use an object if it has this kind of flaw. It's harder to see in still shots but I will post a few so you can see what I am trying to describe.

Sometimes this issue is made worse depending on where you place the object. However, in this particular case, there should be no flickering because the objects were placed on a perfectly flat area.

If I were to place some other hangars in this same area, they would not flicker because they are not flawed.

Aviar
Intel i7-4790 4-Core @3.60GHz + Asus Z97-C Motherboard + 16GB DDR-3 1600 SDRAM @800 MHz + NVIDIA GTX 760 - 2GB + Creative SB ZX SBX + Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers + 27" AOC LED - 2752 + Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard + CH FighterStick-Pro Throttle-Pro Pedals + Logitech G13 Gameboard + GoFlight GF-T8 Module + WIN 8.1

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 01:06:52 PM »

I'll be happy to make my stuff available to you, Jero. What's the best way? Should I private message you a download link when I get around to uploading?

Note that in a couple cases I eliminated LOD_1 wholesale, to save on my workload due to doing this 'manually' with Excel and Notepad. (It takes several hours to fix LOD_0, and while simpler and generally similar to LOD_0, LOD_1 would still take a couple hours, probably.)

The result is an extension of the view range for LOD_0, which unfortunately usually results in flicker on the hangar floor seen through the doorway at longer distances. This is because of its necessarily very small height above the underlying ground. An LOD made for longer view distances has the floor either eliminated or raised rather higher so as to not flicker.

My main concern is this floor flicker, which is best handled by reinstating LOD_1. After seeing which surfaces I've added and/or corrected in LOD_0, you should, I hope, be able to carry over (where necessary) to LOD_1 without too much difficulty.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »

Aviar,
While writing my previous post I see you posted about floor flicker. As I indicated, this results from a too-small distance between ground and floor at that view distance.This one reason a new LOD should be made, with the floor raised higher (or even eliminated for quite distant LODs.)

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 01:59:11 PM »

@ PA_Jeronima: Thanks for the improvements! So much better than those blocky hangars and fuel tanks.

@WxTech: For years I thought that the flickering had to do something with one of my conf.ini settings.  :D  Untill I realised it had to do with the small distance as you pointed out.
By raising the floor wouldn't that cause crashes when you taxi your plane into the hangar? Or stationary objects like trucks inside the hangar will miss a part of their wheels because they seem to be sunk into the floor?
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 02:30:22 PM »

Very Cool, thank you Jero.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 24 queries.