Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Fighter Boys" updated to 4.12!  (Read 10388 times)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
"Fighter Boys" updated to 4.12!
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »

One favourite among my own campaigns is "Fighter Boys - A Spitfire Squadron in August 1940". I think I've played it through some 5 or 6 times since it was first posted in September 2009 - it's an oldie :) Now I have updated it to modded 4.12 standards:

It's a semi-historical, 15-mission static campaign, set in August 1940, portraying the fighting in the air that month during the Battle of Britain. The Spitfire Squadron in the campaign is a sort of composite of several 1940 RAF Squadrons. All missions (except the first one) are based on history in some way, and follows the action of the actual day. I have also tried to follow the actual weather. In many missions there will be 90+ aircraft in the air so you will see a lot of action. Updating it to modded 4.12 standards means a number of improvements, for instance a better AI plus of course the very impressive taxi to take-off- feature.

You can download it here: http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=326

Although not required, I strongly recommend that you get tbauchots excellent update for Cannons Channel Map: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,43135.0.html The campaign has been updated using HSFX 7 but it should work in TFM 412 as well. Eventullay I hope to update a number of my older campaigns to modded 4.12. There is more in the pipeline...

Thanks for looking - and remember to keep your head on a swivel!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
Re: "Fighter Boys" updated to 4.12!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »

Great! Many thanks mate.  ;)
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 12:36:51 AM »

Great job Poltava, many thanks for sharing the update, it's a great campaign indeed...

marcost

• Modder
  • Keep calm and run away
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 02:56:31 AM »

Brilliant, thanks! One of my all-time favourites too

Regards,
M

zionid

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »

Fantastic! Love the taxi feature and tweaks you have made (just played the original).

May I recommend using Taubchots new sky textures (Its listed here on the forum under 'textures' and the reworked Spitfire I model from Barnesy. (from the freeil2modding site).

The results are lovely!

vegetarian

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 06:35:07 AM »

Oh dear! I got the dreaded aircraft damaged on the ground problem at start up of the first mission - the plane just collapsed on its undercarriage. Running HSFX 7.03. I know this is an old problem, but for the life of me can't remember the fix. Does anyone have any idea?

Cheers

vegetarian

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:07:27 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Hamm, but take off and landing ticked on. I tried it in TFM_TNL (full install) and the briefings were missing! Maybe my original download was corrupted, so I'll download a new copy and see how it goes.

zionid

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 03:59:29 AM »

You need to find the files for the campaign and manually delete the "_ru" (russian) extension. That will bring back the briefings.

vegetarian

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 04:10:43 AM »

Thanks zionid - that did the trick! Now to enjoy Poltava's reworked masterpiece. I'll leave the HSFX issue for another day.

blackshark

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 02:25:04 AM »

i'm playing this campaign in CUP and, well, it's my first campaign and i like it very much.

i have questions:

i had big troubles landing in the two "dark" mission (mid campaign, mission 7&8 iirc), because i was not able to see the strip and the lights were not enough to show it; i asked ground control but no more lights ... how did you manage to land there ? after 3 crashes, i had to use autopilot to land

i see a "beacon/radio station" on the map, and when i pressed the "beacon" key, i see it is BBC radio station, but no music at all; is there another key/command to hear bbc ?

as you suggested, i selected the flying officer and so i played it as "number two" and cover my boss. But is it possibile to play it as "boss" with the option to use "commands" to give orders (rejoin, cover me, etc) to the other two pilots ?

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 05:45:48 AM »

i'm playing this campaign in CUP and, well, it's my first campaign and i like it very much.

i have questions:

i had big troubles landing in the two "dark" mission (mid campaign, mission 7&8 iirc), because i was not able to see the strip and the lights were not enough to show it; i asked ground control but no more lights ... how did you manage to land there ? after 3 crashes, i had to use autopilot to land

i see a "beacon/radio station" on the map, and when i pressed the "beacon" key, i see it is BBC radio station, but no music at all; is there another key/command to hear bbc ?

as you suggested, i selected the flying officer and so i played it as "number two" and cover my boss. But is it possibile to play it as "boss" with the option to use "commands" to give orders (rejoin, cover me, etc) to the other two pilots ?

1. Yes, those landings ARE tricky. The autopilot is your ultimate friend...  ;)

2. No, that's probably because you must have sound files in the BBC folder first. Check your folder!

3. Then simply select a much higher rank. But that is only possible at the start of the campaign, I'm afraid.

Look out for the hun in the sun - and tally-ho!  :)
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

blackshark

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 11:11:42 AM »

thanx for your answer.

i checked under sample/music/radio/BBC and i do not have anything, the same for radio tokio etc, so where can i find those files ?
i think it helps much for immersion

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 29 queries.