Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Cranes and Tower fix by WxTech  (Read 11718 times)

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
Re: Cranes and Tower fix by WxTech
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2014, 12:33:35 AM »

Wx, it would be really great if you could package all the edits you've done so far into one nice download, don't know how much of an issue that might be for you?
but it is certainly some great work you're doing, keep it up, mate! :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 02:29:04 AM »

Wx, it would be really great if you could package all the edits you've done so far into one nice download...

If I can say my opinion, would be preferable to leave available the individual ones, since there are some that impact on frame rate, if I'm not mistaken. Having a single comprehensive download as the sole option would cause problems to users with old rigs like me.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2014, 03:25:45 AM »

i can understand that, mate, but these improvements should really be tiny download size, so i don't think you should have any problems, old rig or not. ;)
that said, i didn't actually mean that i want one single download, rather that these edits simply be made available, as many of them are just explaining to us how it's done, which is why i ask for an actual download.

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »

@WxTech:  I cant thank you enough and must say: keep up the good work ! 

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »

I edited the base.mat files a bit to give the cranes and towers a metallic shine when seen from certain angles.

https://www.mediafire.com/?9vbd37mdk4e9rdf

free image host
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

Hubberranz

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »

I can't wait to see this in game ! Thanks ! ;D

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2014, 06:56:26 PM »

I'm holding off on upliading until I've settled a few outstanding issues. And I'm still a bit torn on the best approach to settle on; best object/monolithic shadow, or not so nice object/better shadow? In any event, a readme which details the options and shows how to adjust would have to be included; I don't like to merely dump on folks a bunch of stuff without documentation. I want the user to be able to confidently tweak to their own taste.

As you may gather, I'm of the school which strives to teach a man to fish. But I have no compunction against providing a fish in the interim, so that he might know what he seeks. ;)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

SAS~Malone

• Editor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »

no rush for downloads, mate - teaching us to fish is just as good, i'm just being uber-lazy right now, lol
i'm following your experiments closely, and it's some stirling work, indeed :D

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2014, 11:32:41 PM »

If I didn't specify already, I'm also adjusting the .tga's alpha channel image in some cases. If there is blurring applied which is of a scale approaching that of the spatial frequency of the opaque/transparent parts, this can lead to more apparent artifacts as seen from nearby, and disappearance at a distance. In such case, sharpening the too-blurred sections improves things. For example, the big crane which heavily populates Pearl Harbour has required tweaking of the latticework, particularly on the upper arm. The thin crossbraces are semi-teansparent in places; this exacerbates problems. (And while I was at it, I opened up the rear two windows on the crew cabin with transparent cutouts.)

I should clarify one point. If one has a .tga for an object which has merely been repainted to a different color scheme, the alpha channels for any such variants of the same pixel array size are usually interchangeable. And so any .tga's I might supply but for which there is a preferred repaint on hand, simply copy/paste the better alpha channel to the better paint job.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2014, 02:27:32 AM »

... tiny download size, so i don't think you should have any problems, old rig or not. ;)

I think there's a misunderstanding; quoting myself:

"there are some that impact on frame rate"

I was thinking to some mod about clouds, for instance.

I've no problems with the speed of download. :)

Cheers,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Germy66

• vom K
  • Modder
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 03:11:42 AM »

Please more of These  good mods ;D ;D ;)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2014, 01:53:54 AM »

I have just tested these and they look great with no noticeable impact on frame rate.

Again quoting myself:
"there are some that impact on frame rate"

The point was bundling all WxTech's graphical mods in a single package, as proposed by Malone. In such form they would be unusable for me, since his cloud mod would have a severe impact on frame rate of my rig.

I've currently installed this "Cranes and Tower fix" without FPS problems.

Time ago, during a professional training about "Effective Communication", it was also taught that only a part of what is said is listened by people, and partially understood. Then of what has been understood, only a one-digit percentage is remembered. :(
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.