Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: B-17 "Old 666"  (Read 2584 times)

Katyusha454

• Fishbed Fangirl
B-17 "Old 666"
« on: May 15, 2014, 12:03:50 PM »

"Old 666" was a B-17E flown by Captain Jay Zeamer in the Pacific in 1943.  On June 16, 1943, Old 666 went on a solo recon mission and was attacked by 17 fighters, but managed to shoot down at least three Japanese planes and escape.  Zeamer and 2d Lt. Joseph Sarnoski both received the Medal of Honor for their actions.  More info at wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_666 and a clip from "Dogifghts":

Old 666 isn't a particularly interesting skin, since it's just an olive drab plane with no markings other than the tail number, however, Zeamer is the Air Force Academy class of 2014's exemplar officer, and one of my best friends is about to graduate from the academy this year.  I'd really like to have a skin of Zeamer's plane to honor the class of 2014 (and to maybe get said friend to play Il-2 with me :P ).

Maty12

• Local flyboy
  • Need a Mitchell or a Marauder? I'm your guy!
Re: B-17 "Old 666"
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »

Heard a lot about this bird. Just Generic OD with tail number?
"If we waited 'till we were ready to do things before we ever did anything, we'd never do anything." -Archie Mason (Fortress)

Radoye

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »

That thing would require a full blown mod to do properly, it wasn't a stock B-17 bomber but a heavily modified gunship with added serious amounts of firepower. Would be cool to try recreate that mission! :D
I'm an island, surrounded by a sea of idiots!

Maty12

• Local flyboy
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »

Would a regular "E" version be okay? We don't have that mod.
"If we waited 'till we were ready to do things before we ever did anything, we'd never do anything." -Archie Mason (Fortress)

Katyusha454

• Fishbed Fangirl
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »

Would a regular "E" version be okay? We don't have that mod.

Yeah, a regular B-17E is fine since we don't have the mod.  It'd be cool if someone were to make the actual plane but a skin is good enough for now, mostly because I'd like to have it in time for the class of 2014's graduation.

Maty12

• Local flyboy
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »

I can take care of that. But I have to finish another request first.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_666

No photographs of this aircraft exists.
But it is most likely an early version green colored airplane with yellow numbers on
the tail and maybe yellow or white lettering on the nose for the name. This was the
typical look for most B-17s flying in the Pacific at this time.

This aircraft was a "gun-ship" and was not meant for bombing missions. It was heavily armed and
heavily modified to carry even more machine-guns than usual.

Some folks have said that this airplane in the photo might be the tail number 41-2666...
The airplane nicknamed "Lucy"... Also known as "Old 666" or "666" for the last three digits of the U.S. Army serial number.

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-17/41-2666/index.html

http://www.pacificwrecks.com/aircraft/b-17/41-2666.html

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

zeamerseagerbeavers

• Zeamer's Eager Beavers - The Definitive Resource
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2021, 02:23:58 PM »

Photos do exist of "Lucy" / "Old 666" now, but all either pre- or post-date Zeamer's configuration of 16-mounted .50s. Jack Fellows' artwork for IHRA's outstanding history of the 43rd BG, using the twin .50s in the waist positions, is currently the best bet.

Unfortunately I'm being given the message "Sorry, you are not allowed to post external links." for the multiple images I'm uploading using the tool on the page, even though they display just fine in the preview, so I'm unable to share them at the moment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 23 queries.