Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: "Typhoon of steel"  (Read 7960 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
"Typhoon of steel"
« on: March 25, 2014, 11:43:14 AM »

(from Wikipedia): "The Battle of Okinawa...  has been referred to as the "typhoon of steel" in English, and tetsu no ame ("rain of steel") or tetsu no bofu ("violent wind of steel") in Japanese. The nicknames refer to the ferocity of the fighting, the intensity of kamikaze attacks from the Japanese defenders, and to the sheer numbers of Allied ships and armored vehicles that assaulted the island. The battle resulted in the highest number of casualties in the Pacific Theater during World War II.

The British Pacific Fleet, taking part as Task Force 57, was assigned the task of neutralizing the Japanese airfields in the Sakishima Islands... Several kamikaze attacks caused significant damage, but since the British used armored flight decks on their aircraft carriers, they only experienced a brief interruption to their force's objective.
"

Royal Navy campaign during Okinawa invasion.

You will be part of No.894 Squadron, flying Seafire L Mk.III. Player may also choose to fly either for IJAAF (Ki-84) or IJNAF (N1K1).

This campaign is for stock IL-2 and has been built and tested with 4.12.2m (originally, now...) 4.14.1m.

Requires Asura’s DGen_MOD v2.0.5.0 (included).

Link for download

Alternate download link

Have fun!
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

solotk

Re: "Typhoon of steel"
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 06:55:24 PM »

Greybeard,

I really really want to fly this and other campaigns you've designed, as they all look well designed with considerable thought and planning. However, having tried to register on M4T numerous times, and not even getting a reply to email requests re. activation, I'm afraid I won't be able to experience these :(

Do you have an alternate location where you upload your work?

Best regards

Solotk

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:04:01 AM »

Greybeard,

I really really want to fly this and other campaigns you've designed, as they all look well designed with considerable thought and planning.

Thanks for your kind words.  :)

Do you have an alternate location where you upload your work?

Right now, I uploaded this and two more campaigns of mine at:

http://greybeard.xoom.it/virgiliowizard/il2-corner

They are the most recent ones and all for stock Il-2 4.12.2m. Please let me know if it works for you and if you wish any other one; I've only the limit of 8 MB in size there.

Regards,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

solotk

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »

Thanks Greybeard, will download and play when I finish work hopefully!

Best regards

Solotk

solotk

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:47 PM »

Ok, just started playing AASF and enjoying immensely! I haven't gone through the files, but have you included a "Battle of the Canal Bridges" mission for 1940? The AASF is one of my specific air war interests, having read a lot about them, I can't believe the bravery of those young aircrew on Battles, on what were suicidal missions. The Blenheims from Watton didn't fare well at all either.

Thank you very much for this Greybeard, and I look forward to playing it in depth. As an aside, can you recommend any further object packs or aircraft etc to further enchance the experience?

Best regards

Solotk

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 02:42:08 AM »

Ok, just started playing AASF and enjoying immensely!

Enjoyment of connoisseurs is my best reward, since I also try to be as historical as possible.  :)

have you included a "Battle of the Canal Bridges" mission for 1940?

Sorry, I'm unable to be so detailed by dynamic generator.

As an aside, can you recommend any further object packs or aircraft etc to further enchance the experience?

There's the AASF version for UP2.01; you can read description at following link:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=details&id=1922

I would recommend to download and install separately (in a fresh 4.09m installation) the UP2.01; unfortunately, I don't know where else to find it. About the campaign, please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll send you.

Greetings,
GB

solotk

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 03:22:56 PM »

Many thanks Greybeard , I'll message you when I've got to grips with this version of AASF! I didn't realise it was wired to "Air Ninja" Pilot settings. Very steep learning curve! :) Is there a way to change these settings a tad, as it's all getting a little bit too historically accurate. Take off , get bounced, fly for your life , deliver wrecked aircraft on the side of the runway :D

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 05:07:01 PM »

Is there a way to change these settings a tad...

I think settings which come with my campaign are quite good; enemy AI is set to "easy" and missions are "normal", that's to say number of aircraft is relatively balanced. You can edit "DGen_mod.ini" and set:

AirIntensity=Medium

this will increase both number of friendly and enemy aircraft, but often with a slight advantage for friendly.

solotk

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »

Thanks Greybeard, but I meant the Pilot settings. Every switch is over to the right! :)

For anyone else looking at this thread, I can really, strongly recommend AASF

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:13 AM »

... Every switch is over to the right! :)

I think "Difficulty" settings should be set that way to enhance game experience, but "Views", that I have all enabled, as well as "Icons&Map"; both making up for limits of the PC simulation.

For anyone else looking at this thread, I can really, strongly recommend AASF

Thanks again for your kind words of encouragement.

Best regards,
GB

Sharkzz

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 02:31:53 AM »

nice work , on little question if you please. does anyone have a spare copy of the Sakishima map handy ? as I don't have one anymore.
thanks in advance, Sharkzz
New Right Arm Amputee, One armed flyer and Longboard surfer, I now swim and paddle in circles .

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 04:02:24 AM »

does anyone have a spare copy of the Sakishima map handy ? as I don't have one anymore.

I think that's a bit off-topic: my campaign does not require Sakishima map.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 26 queries.