Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Kawasaki Ki-102  (Read 7046 times)

The Radge

• Modder
Kawasaki Ki-102
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:05:47 PM »

Hello, guys! I would like to make request of another perfect plane, that may be considered as the radical improvement of Ki-45 Toryu, already flying the Il-2 skies. It is Kawasaki Ki-102, allied reporting name Randy. For introducing this interesting aircraft, here is some information about it.

The Kawasaki Ki-102 Army Type 4 Assault Plane was a twin-engined heavy fighter developed from the Ki-45 Toryu via the single-seat Ki-96, and which saw limited service over Okinawa.

Work on the single-seat Ki-96 began in the summer of 1942, originally as the Ki-45-II, a larger version of the standard Ki-45, and retaining the earlier type's two crewmen. In December 1942 the Japanese Army ordered Kawasaki to develop the new aircraft as a single-seater, with the new designation of Ki-96. The first prototype was by then quite close to completion, and so it was completed with the original forward cockpit while the rear cockpit was faired over. Two further prototypes were completed with a purpose-built single-seat cockpit and canopy, but by the time the first prototype made its maiden flight in September 1943 the Japanese Army had changed its mind again, and Kawasaki were ordered to produce the aircraft as a heavily armed two-seat close support and ground attack fighter.

This didn't cause the Kawasaki design team, led by Takeo Doi, many problems. They simply reverted to the original layout of the Ki-45-II, restoring the second cockpit faired over on the first Ki-96 and retaining the same Mitsubishi Ha-112-II engines. Armament was increased, with the 37mm cannon of the Ki-96 replaced by a 57-mm Ho-401 cannon in the nose. The two 20-mm cannon in the fuselage were retained, while the second crewman was given a rear-pointing flexibly-mounted 12.7-mm Ho-103 machine gun.

The first of three Ki-102 prototypes made its maiden flight in March 1944. They were followed by twenty pre-production aircraft, before production of the main Ki-102b Army Type 4 Assault Plane Model B began in October 1944. A few aircraft saw combat over Okinawa, but most were retained in Japan.

Kawasaki were also ordered to produce a high altitude pressurized version of the aircraft, as the Ki-108. It was obvious that this would take some time to produce and so in February 1944 work began on an unpressurised high-altitude version of the Ki-102, the Ki-102 Ko. This was given the same turbo-supercharged engines as the Ki-108, and the first aircraft was completed in June 1944. Six prototypes were followed by twenty further aircraft, all produced by modifying existing Ki-102s or Ki-102 Otsu's, but the type never entered production.

The same was true for the Ki-102 Hei night fighter, of which four prototypes were built before the end of the war.
(Source)

Ki-102 Prototypes, 3 built

Ki-102 Ko
Externally similar to the Otsu, but with turbosuperchargers that enabled the engine to maintain its rating at higher altitudes. 57 mm (2.24 in) cannon was swapped in favor of a 37 mm (1.46 in) cannon, and the 12.7 mm (.50 in) rear gun was deleted, 26 built.

Ki-102 Otsu
Ground-attack variant similar to prototypes, except with revised tail wheel, 207 built.

Ki-102 Hei
Night Fighter version with lengthened fuselage and span. Radar under a Plexiglas dome, oblique-firing 20-mm cannons, and the 20-mm cannons in the belly replaced with 30-mm (1.18 in) cannons completed the package, 2 built.

Ki-108
High-altitude fighter prototype with pressurised cabin, two conversions from Ki-102 Otsu aircraft using the structural improvements used on the 102 Hei.
(This part from wiki) :)

And, of course, specifications of Ki-102 and some pics & drawings:

Cockpit:

Scale model:

Some views :D

Drawings:

Example paint schemes:

From here. There's also history of the plane, in Russian.

Thanks for attention! :)

Mr.Craig

• Modder
Re: Kawasaki Ki-102
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 11:54:29 PM »

Excellent request! I'm hoping this plane appears as well. I've got around 15-20 aircraft on my personal
wish list and this ones definitely on it 8)

baronbutcher

• Fw190, Spit one day, Hellcat, Zero next.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:49:56 AM »

Excellent request!
:) Oh, yes one for the ' Randy'! Totally agree an excellent request. 8)

RealDarko

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:28:20 AM »

This one was included in Aces over the Pacific '1946 expansion IIRC.

The Radge

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:15 AM »

Hi guys! Thanks for supporting my request! I hope that somebody who can create new plane will be interested in this aircraft. May be even it could be made not from the beginning, but radically improving the existing Ki-45 (as it was in real life ;D)

trent

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:15:40 AM »

Great request! It can even use the beautiful new Ki-45 cockpit Daidalos Team made for 4.12, since the cockpit layout is similar.  :)

ben_wh

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:29:16 PM »

This one was included in Aces over the Pacific '1946 expansion IIRC.

Ki-102 is certainly a worthwhile plane to be considered for addition to IL-2, but the twin-engine Japanese fighter you're probably thinking of in Aces of the Pacific WWII 1946 expansion was an even more capable plane - the Mitsubishi Ki-83.

Among the planes covered in this expansion, I'm still hoping that we'll see the Tigercat, the Ki-83, the J8N / J9Y (Kikka) properly modeled in Il-2 some day.  (here's a call out to damawo...)

Cheers,

Krieger51

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 11:42:11 PM »

I would also like to see this aircraft get into Il-2 one day. Hoping it becomes flyable!  :)

The Radge

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »

A bump!
I would like ten010 to make this one... :)

shelby

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 01:27:42 PM »

Type83Fighter

• I rule this empire!
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 04:14:23 AM »

Japanese aircraft rarely get attention, especially twin engines. I'd love to see this one included.
Trespassers will be strafed.

baronbutcher

• Fw190, Spit one day, Hellcat, Zero next.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2019, 09:15:30 AM »

Japanese aircraft rarely get attention, especially twin engines. I'd love to see this one included.
So would I. 8) It's good now to see the Ki-83, Ki-93 W.I.P in what looks like the final stages, just hope the more numerous Ki-102 a step up from the Ki-45 Toryu makes it to that list and not forgotten. But well done to the talented chaps who made these Japanese twins possible, very much appreciated.  :) Apart from the Nakajima C6N Saiun ("Painted Cloud") and Aichi E16A1 Zui-un (Paul) float plane nearly all the major Japanese WW2 aircraft are covered. 8)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 26 queries.