Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Guide to getting your IL2 modded  (Read 71915 times)

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
Re: an Idiot's guide to getting your IL2 modded
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 06:25:50 AM »

Captains Log:  Every attempt to get closer to the elusive UP 2.1 ends in dissaster.  So far I have reinstalled IL2 twice.  When I run the UP installer, it goes for about 30 seconds then stops.  It says  CRC error then something about incompatability and lastly it suggests that my UP download is corrupt. 
  So I guess I need to start over with the download of UP.  Other than that I have no idea what could be wrong.  I followed the instructions to the letter.

Maico

SAS~CirX

• R.I.P.
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • No Zips, Only Buttons
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 06:49:01 AM »

I feel for you, mate. But do yourself one enormous favour. Go here:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,19.0.html

And read it, and get multiple copies of IL2 on your PC for you to work withh. You realy dont want to continue ionstalling all that UbiSoft malware they call copyprotection .

then download this EXE: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,1117.0.html which will make it able for you to play all those copied unmodded versions without the DVD. (modded games have their own new exe)

I always have 3 installs going. A clean vanilla 4.09 (which I use for other testings), then a clean modded SAS Moadct 4.09, which I use to test mods on, and then a big fat UP2.01 which is the one with the huge skins and missions folder, which is for fun.
I had a HSFX4.0 version also at a stage, you can have as many as you have space for.

I always have a clean 4.09m game backed up somewhere else, that I can copy and paste and use, leaving the original unscarred.

Also, dont put them in program files, especially if you are on vista or 7.

Good luck with the downloads. Took me a week to DL UP2.01

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:13:05 AM »

Thanks for your patience and support.  I guess putting both copies of the game in the same folder was not a good idea.   :(
  I have read the topic you recomended and I have a couple of questions. 
Ok, I install IL2 4.09m to the  D/My New IL2/IL2 1946.  I keep that as is.
Now I take my HSFX copy and add it to D(D is my other HD, not my OS) D/HSFX IL2/IL2 1946HSFX/.
So I get lucky and make a third copy and put it in D/UP IL2/IL2 1946UP.   
Here comes the question.  When I go to play IL21946UP how does my pc know I am not clicking on the exe for IL2 1946  or IL2HSFX ?  Do you give the exe's different names?  I hope I have explained myself well...

Thanks again guys, I have new found strengh. 

Maico

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 05:34:18 AM »

This is useful information.  Thanks. I am continuing to march...

EnemyiswatchingYOU

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 07:53:39 AM »

Thank you very much! Everything works great!

Maico

• Knight Knee Dragger
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

Thank you all for your patience and hard work.  I now have three copies of IL2 working.  Here is the short of it.
  Putting IL2 in program files was confusing the computer.  I have Win XP Pro but still it confused the installs.  Installing UP into one folder(4.09m) made the other folder,(IL2+HSFX) corrupt.  So, I first backed up my old copy of IL2+HSFX.  This was the game i played most of the time.  I then uninstalled IL2 completly from C/program files.  I have two hard drives so I used my secondary hard drive (in my case "E") and created a folder called "IL2 GAMES".  This is where I made my first install of IL2 plain vanilla in "E/IL2 GAMES/IL2 4.09m".  I updated it to 4.09m then copied it to another folder and renamed it "IL2+HSFX".  I put it back in "E/IL2 GAMES next to "IL2 4.09m".    I ran the HSFX installer and pointed it at this folder.  After all was good, I used my old HSFX back up to update skins, controls(user folder), missions ect.   At this point I had two working copies of IL2.  Now I went for gold...
  At this point I had to re-download UP 2.1.  no problem.  Took a day or so cos I took my time. In the meantime that IL2 4.09m was copied and renamed "IL2 4.09mUP".  I put it in "E/IL2 GAMES next to the other two.   Now I ran the UP installer and pointed it at "IL2 4.09mUP". 
  Ok, so now I have a folder in my "E" drive named "IL2 GAMES".  Inside there are three folders.  IL2+4.09m/ IL2+HSFX/ and "IL2 4.09mUP"

Username333

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2010, 12:08:47 PM »

>:( what the hell? I did everything, and now my game won't run. Im gonna give up. Im tired of trying to mod my game.

Username333

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 12:30:06 PM »

RFLMAO!

eerrmmm... rant post won't help ;) , better describe EXACTLY how did you set up your game from the beginning (and what it means "won't run")
[/quote]

I just installed it, and I followed this guide. My game folder looks like this: 

Username333

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 01:08:51 PM »

I see a couple of things out of place (like samples)...

You have NOT told me what you did, if you want help BE PRECISE: which version of the game did you install? To which version did you patched it? etc. I asked what exactly means "won't start" and yet you don't say.

I haven't patched anything. What I meant by won't start is that it will show a blank screen for a few seconds, then quit. I have 1946, 4.09.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:05 PM »

I haven't patched anything.................... I have 1946, 4.09.
you see, because of how hard it is to actually make sense of what you're trying to say, is also why it's really hard to give you any kind of decent advice.
the above two sentences, for example, totally contradict each other...
if you have 4.09, then you must have patched the game....so why say you haven't patched anything, to just add to the confusion.
if you  have the stock, pout-of-the-box game, it will be version 4.07m....
you need to patch it firstly to 4.08m.....
you then need to patch it to 4.09m.....
as crazyflak said, you need to test the game between each patch update to see if it still works.
sounds like you have done something wrong in the process, start over from scratch.
once your game is patched to 4.09m and working, make a backup copy of this entire working 4.09m version, and stash it somewhere safely for future use.
with your working 4.09m version, you are now ready to mod your game, either using a Modactivator, or a pack such as UP or HSFX....
follow instructions precisely for whichever mod version you want to install.
if you mess up during the process from here on, you can always try again using the backup version you made - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP COPY READY!
good luck!
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Username333

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »

I haven't patched anything.................... I have 1946, 4.09.
you see, because of how hard it is to actually make sense of what you're trying to say, is also why it's really hard to give you any kind of decent advice.
the above two sentences, for example, totally contradict each other...
if you have 4.09, then you must have patched the game....so why say you haven't patched anything, to just add to the confusion.
if you  have the stock, pout-of-the-box game, it will be version 4.07m....
you need to patch it firstly to 4.08m.....
you then need to patch it to 4.09m.....
as crazyflak said, you need to test the game between each patch update to see if it still works.
sounds like you have done something wrong in the process, start over from scratch.
once your game is patched to 4.09m and working, make a backup copy of this entire working 4.09m version, and stash it somewhere safely for future use.
with your working 4.09m version, you are now ready to mod your game, either using a Modactivator, or a pack such as UP or HSFX....
follow instructions precisely for whichever mod version you want to install.
if you mess up during the process from here on, you can always try again using the backup version you made - ALWAYS HAVE A BACKUP COPY READY!
good luck!

Yeah, sorry, im a complete idiot, because as it turns out I DO have 4.07.

Username333

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 11:29:27 AM »

I am having trouble with patching the versions...what do i do with the 4.08 patch once it is downloaded? I ran it but it did nothing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 30 queries.