Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: after a few hours of experience on BOS  (Read 21117 times)

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
Re: after a few hours of experience on BOS
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »

41%

This feels good.
I mainly fly the LaGG due to my recent Allergy to anything Luftwaffle

FM
i only have like 15  minutes real life stick time and avoid this subject like the plague.
That said, the F, the LaGG and the Shturmo all feel very awkward at low speeds. They wobble about all axis, and RPM changes make things no better. Speed increases flight accuracy, 300kph for the Fighters, 240/250kph for the Shturmo.
Its not like 1946. This one has Air. Air that does not support slow-flying big wing Monoplanes well.

In a Dogfight i dare not pull on the stick because the Air noise is a good indicator that Drag goes up and speed goes down. So i keep my moves gentle.
Surprisingly, the 109 does the same. We both keep our moves smooth to conserve air speed. None of us dares high-G Kung-fu manoevers.
Even the 109F that i loved for its precision of flight, its feeling of fusion between man and machine... That fusion is less direct. Its now a 3.2 ton wingsuit you have to point at the enemy.
Its not like 1946 - violently and precisely inputting gives you no direct and predictable response from your plane. You have to work.

Systems
Water and Oil coolers are separated, and there is a so far unused axis command for the Cowling Flaps/air shutters (Fw-190?)
Elevator preset for the Friedrich... no shit! 8)
a lot of stuff in the cockpit doesnt work. fuel gauges, artificial horizons, nothing (the f...) works.
You cannot trim. But Boy do you wish you could!
Bomb Bay doors...
Its all there. even Hand signals.

Details
Stuff is deep. DEEP.
Standing on the runway, the 12.7 Gun does not work on the LaGG. What the...?!
Of course not you idiot, it's mechanically or electrically syncronized to the prop, you fool.
Yes we KNOW that.
But in BoS such things are actually implemented. no spinning prop, no cowling guns.

Engine won't start unless you got your sliders for prop, mix and manifold at the right position. It'll give you some turns, some flames and then stop.
If you dare to not respect the RPM limit, your engine smokes  and dies. You cannot handle your particular Plane, you got no clue what you are doing, don't have at least a few numbers in your head concerning RPM, Temps, VNE etc?
Plane's gonna bite you in the Rear.

Feeling
So far it's been all white. With no Artificial Horizon and untrimmable plane (unless i missed something) i quickly get lost up dere in de Air.
Even making a few miles to a desired Map point needs focus and attention. Feels all very blank and cold.

AI
The Dogfight mission lets you take off, go to zone A, fight,win then zone B, fight, win, back to zone A, fight, win(ad nauseatum)...
and the Game actually spawns a plane now and then to help you out.
And that time i fought in a 109, the wingman followed me home, after i have had enough shooting down LaGGs.
And he landed. It was a nice wobbly landing, not this "landing on lazer beams" thing from a decade ago.

Sounds
get some new. bigger. bassy. speakers. Turn it up.
And f*** de neighborhood. Turn it up some more.
Give the people around you a concerto of Engine sounds. Give them some free education. Free ART.

At 41%, this thing is unfinished. More than half the stuff works, but a lot less than half the content is there. (planes, map-wise, objects...)
But this is WIP. The Puzzle is only coming together.
Where IL-2 has always felt straightforward, BoS will give me a lot of crap to learn, before it gives me some results.

And even the results are difficult to digest at times.
But this is not Nascar. This is no Volleyball contest with Bikinibabes.
And as such, the path chosen is perfect.

Collecting dislikes since December '82.

LuseKofte

« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2014, 09:57:21 AM »

You will find CLOD more complex concerning fm, but it is something about the physics in BOS that beat the hell out of everything else. Make it fun and demanding to fly.
Good resume and conclusion, mate

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »

I compared both directly this (very long) night, and must say that CloD gives me a more precise feedback on how i handle the plane - especially at low speeds.
And that - anything between 0(rolling, jumping, vibrating, ploughing through the snow) to 250kph (climbing) is where BoS leaves me drooling very much.
This lack of precision and interaction of terrain/plane is awesome.
Difficult, but awesome.

I find myself wishing for an airacobra, a Havoc and a complete set of accurately done shturmo's.
I find myself wishing for "more", something i have never felt about CloD.

what ultimately makes me happy is that i know "more" is on its way already.
 ;D

(back to work! time is running out till tomorrow)
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

dietz

• Supporter
  • " Keep watching the skies...."
    • Art of James Dietz
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2014, 11:02:45 AM »

I think the above description is fairly accurate .I do like the weekend updates- so much better release than CloD was ( although I think it is a great sim now thanks to ATAG Mods...)
My ( & others) biggest problem is flight stability while using FFB Joystick. Aircraft unstable around all three axis & no features of FFB working.There has been a few comments on this & to my knowledge no feedback from Studio 777.fingers crossed it is on the list of things to be fixed.In the meantime it makes enjoyable flying nearly impossible...Nearly not completely impossible.
This week we did get the beautifully renderd Ju-87 Dora with some great extras.I think in some ways a better Stuka ( esp around the gunners cockpit) that the Ju-87 B in CloD...Too bad with my stick I can't hit anything with it:

LuseKofte

« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2014, 12:32:33 PM »

I am having a blast flying with my 737 yoke. That thing make it easy since I can just push it a bit forward for trim
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 26 queries.